“nice overnight stay”
Review of Motel 6 Van Horn

Motel 6 Van Horn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was moving & found this motel late a night. It turned out to be a great choice. There were a lot of motels in this small town, but I am glad I chose this one. It is small, inexpensive & I felt very safe there. The room was clean and I appreciated the kindness of the employees there. I would stay there again if I were ever to come back this way. It was all I needed for an overnight stay. I hope this is helpful for anyone else looking for the same thing, a nice overnight stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2013

the outside grounds are very nicely landscaped and this motel 6 is smaller than most, so it has a nicer outside appearance. the lobby area was nice and check-in was quick. there is a computer in the lobby for public use. the rooms have microwave and fridge at no extra charge, unlike most motel 6s. the room was the usual, basic motel 6 type room with a dirty bathroom floor.
there are even cheaper motels that include breakfast east of this motel 6 on the same street, but they don't look as nice as this motel 6.
so overall it's an ok place to stay for a low rate.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

OK folks, it's time for Mr. Diesel to write a balanced review and bring some of the comments here into perspective. This isn't the Ritz and it isn't a dive.

I stayed one night at this Motel 6 on the return leg of a road trip I took to Austin to attend a wedding reception. I was traveling without my wife, so I didn't really feel the need to book something more modern and costly (such as the Hampton Inn across the highway), so after reading the reviews here I opted for the Motel 6.

Do I regret staying there? Nope. It was a great value. Is it the "Motel Hilton"? Absolutely NOT. It's an old motel, folks. An almost creepy building that was constructed in the 1970s. Rooms that, for the most part, have furniture and fixtures from that era. On the positive side, my room was clean and didn't have any funky, musty smells. But some of the furniture is hanging on by a thread (the laminate is peeling off), and the sink has one of those old obnoxious Delta faucets that sits so far back from the bowl that you cram your hands up against the back of the sink to get them wet. The TV is an old tube set (do they still make those?), and one of the hand towels is clean, but stained and should have been thrown out. Even the phone in the room is an old Bell-type touchtone phone. I have truly stepped into a time warp.

Considering the appearance of the other motels in Van Horn, the Motel 6 is probably the best choice among the lot. Most of the others look positively frightening. Van Horn itself has the appearance of a boarded-up ghost town. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn when passing through, but the Hampton Inn has become ridiculously expensive for the area and I opted for a lower-cost choice for this trip.

My bottom line: if traveling alone, I'd probably stay here again without hesitation. If traveling with my wife, I wouldn't even consider it unless she asked for it.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Perfect little stop. Inexpensive, but clean & well maintained. Everything you need for a quick night's stop. Great value for the money! It is an older motel, but clean & friendly staff. I would highly recommend this motel.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have to begin with the fact that the price was great. The room was clean and nice. My bed was very comfortable. It has a very lovely lobby. The employees working there were all friendly. I enjoyed my stay very much. I recommend this motel to anyone looking for a reasonable price, but with the same qualities as an expensive motel. It was clean, comfortable & friendly. Thank you!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stay in a lot of motels & this is one of the nicest ones I have stayed in. Personel is amazing. The manager, Debbie was so welcoming & nice. The room was clean. Grocery store next door. Great working wifi. The price was great. Truck parking. Everything that you need was right there. I will stay here again. Thumbs up to Debbie & her staff!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband I had room 29.
Pluses: A bargain: Only $49/night! Quiet heating unit, and lots of hot water.
Minuses: They supply no toiletries & no shampoo, but there were small towels and stained facecloths. There were 2 dogs loose on premises and dog poo everywhere- just disgusting. The beds were old, and there were no fitted sheets so the bottom sheets pulled out during the night. There was just a single bed blanket on our double bed. The phone didn't work and the TV went off shortly after we turned it on, never to revive.There was a fridge and microwave that worked. No breakfast was incl so we went to Sands for breakfast. Please note: the motel is located between a railway and interstate highway.
Conclusion: it was OK for one night, but we wouldn't return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple