“Great find!!”
Review of Taylor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Van Horn
Taylor Motel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great find!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

2 rooms, one with one double bed, the other with three doubles for $79 including tax!! Very clean and quiet! Old refurbished tourist court motel. Flat screen TV, small fridge and microwave in room. No coffee maker, but free coffee, hot tea, and cinnamon rolls at front desk in the morning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Stockman893

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Alpine, Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed there this week and was amazed by the place. It was just immaculate, and comfortable.
I'm a lady who travels alone, and I felt quite comfortable here. Everything is updated, clean and cozy. The office has a business area adjacent, with copy machine, computer, etc. Coffee in the morning. Okay, so the train comes by and it's noisy. But you have a nice new refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, free wifi, good heating/cooling system. And I dare anyone to beat their price: $30.00. Really? Yes!

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the highway are further from the train that goes by!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Suzanne B
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at this motel. It was very clean and comfortable. We stayed in RM 1 and it was actually two rooms. One room had two double beds and the other one double. TV's in both rooms. The bathroom is older but clean, has stand in shower only no tub. Each room is separated by a carport. Overall a great experience! The only negatives is the train, but I believe all hotels/motels have this problem here. Secondly, the in wall heater/ac setup isn't great...one room gets very hot while other is cool to warm. Finally, we are traveling with two small children and needed a crib for one, they didn't have any...but we made it work anyway. The management/staff are very friendly. They serve coffee in the office starting at 6am(no coffee pot in room, but does have small fridge/freezer and microwave) along with hot tea and snacks. They also have on site washer/dryers for a small fee. I would definitely stay here again! You can't beat the price, under $40/nt.

• Stayed January 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Instead of paying $150-200 in Pecos we opted to drive 80 miles farther west to Van Horn and paid $35+tax for 2 room, 3-bed clean "suite.". Train woke us 2-3 times but all motels there have that problem. Mexican cafe "Chuy"s a half mile west was good. iPhone location incorrect - go 1 mile farther west on Broadway. We were satisfied for our first visit to the Taylor Motel.

• Stayed December 2013
Homosassa, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Taylor in early October for 1 evening. As I was starting the check in process, I commented to the nice lady (owner?) that their reviews on Trip Advisor were pretty complimentary. She seemed pleased and a bit "awe shucks" about it. She then offered that the rooms aren't that big and asked if I wanted to look at them before deciding. Who does that? We took her up on the offer and looked at a single king and 2 double room. They were both spotless, well maintained, and comfortable looking. We chose room # 5, the 2 doubles and were charged a whopping $39.95 for the night. Best value weve experienced in a very long time. If your going to stay overnight in Van Horn, stay at the Taylor. You will be impressed. Also, there are train tracks near by and they do come through at night. Personally, I slept through them. If your looking for or expecting the quiet country setting, don't stay in Van Horn. Anywhere!

Room Tip: Don't worry about neighbor noise, each room is separated buy it's own carport/garage. Very...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert M
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I will say it again. If you like predictable, overtly sanitized and entirely homogeneous, corporate led accommodation offered by national chains... the Taylor Motel in Van Horn, Texas is not for you. Just drive on by, there are many, many places to stay in Van Horn. You'll find one you like. However, if you are a motorcycle tourer on a budget and are looking for a clean, comfortable overnight layover in a pouring rain, this place is your danged huckleberry!

This very vintage motor court that has been as tenderly restored as any reasonable person could expect. Parking is adequate and at your door. There are no upstairs rooms, load at the door buddy! Each room has safe, paved, well lit, workable carport. A added benefit for this weary motorcycle tourer, considering it had poured several times headed west along I-10 past Fort Stockton. I was nice to be able to pull out of the rain to unload directly into the room under cover. String a line under cover and hang some gear out to dry.

The structure itself is old... but the room is totally and meticulously restored. Almost every fixture has been replaced. The furniture is relatively new and adequate for my uses. The walls are old fashioned vertical v-grooved solid wood painted siding. The art is simple and appealing. ALL the fixtures and appliances work and it appears that the entire place has been re-wired & replumbed. One clue... the bathroom had a GFCI. The ceiling was entirely new and the window were recent double pane, caulked and painted-in nicely. The AC was new and more than adequate. My room had a Microwave and a mini-fridge.

The WiFi was free but a bit slow. In functioned okay if you weren't planning on downloading video, constructing a website or managing multiple online databases while in the room. Generally speaking it should work for most people's needs. It did for mine, even in a pouring all-night rain and the following miserable morning; weather, news, Facebook within reason.... not too many images or YouTube downloads.

Like most of the older places in Van Horn, the rooms are close to the rail line. This line is very busy and you should expect 3 to five trains nightly. Personally, it didn't bother me because on the road I usually wear ear plugs anyway.

They do have a clean and adequate coin-op guest laundry, yet another strong issue with me! There are no phones in the rooms but they do have phone books... with coupon pages at the back. They have plenty of local food... Chuey's and Papa's (Mexican) comes to mind. Not much delivery. There is a grocery store and a couple of 24 hour truck stops that have almost anything else you could want... but I usually like to eat local. While the TV's were low-rez CRT units... they were quite large and had inputs for my portable DVD player. Which I REALLY, REALLY, (I mean REALLY) like!

The bathroom was the marvelously restored deep-set mosaic and wall tile so common in motels of this time period. Genuine three-step stucco over lath and expanded steel. The floor and shower was clean. When flushed, the toilet did run... but my father taught me a trick about fifty years ago; "Jiggle the lever!"

That done, everything was awesome. Adequate water pressure... adequate drain... adequate cleanliness. Attentive but not overly snoopy staff. Covered parking adjacent to each room. Room to string up a laundry line for road gear. Could it possibly get any better?

The "Mary Poppins" of a a motorcyclist's idea of the perfect motel, "Practically perfect in every way."

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank Phil M
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pretty hard to beat, it is clean, comfortable and inexpensive. I could tell the owners took great pride in their little place and I loved the carports between the rooms. I will make this my default stop whenever I'm in Van Horn, I even saved their number into my phone. Internet, light breakfast, cable TV, no not flat screens but for 28 per night, you got to expect some cost saving measures and I would rather have a ultra clean room and an older TV, than a nice TV with a cruddy room. Yes I could hear the train, but its not too bad, it is the only downside, but I believe you will probably hear the train no matter where you stay, Van Horn isn't what you would call a sprawling metropolis.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business