All reviews covered parking can't beat the price car port old school old style flat screen tv per night comfortable bed sparkling clean an overnight stay a great place to stay ice machine air conditioner nice room small town road trip carport
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Instead of paying $150-200 in Pecos we opted to drive 80 miles farther west to Van Horn and paid $35+tax for 2 room, 3-bed clean "suite.". Train woke us 2-3 times but all motels there have that problem. Mexican cafe "Chuy"s a half mile west was good. iPhone location incorrect - go 1 mile farther west on Broadway. We were satisfied for our first visit to the Taylor Motel.

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Taylor in early October for 1 evening. As I was starting the check in process, I commented to the nice lady (owner?) that their reviews on Trip Advisor were pretty complimentary. She seemed pleased and a bit "awe shucks" about it. She then offered that the rooms aren't that big and asked if I wanted to look at them before deciding. Who does that? We took her up on the offer and looked at a single king and 2 double room. They were both spotless, well maintained, and comfortable looking. We chose room # 5, the 2 doubles and were charged a whopping $39.95 for the night. Best value weve experienced in a very long time. If your going to stay overnight in Van Horn, stay at the Taylor. You will be impressed. Also, there are train tracks near by and they do come through at night. Personally, I slept through them. If your looking for or expecting the quiet country setting, don't stay in Van Horn. Anywhere!

Room tip: Don't worry about neighbor noise, each room is separated buy it's own carport/garage. Very 60's. Rooms at the back are near the tracks, at the front near the road. Pick your poison. (Again, all hotels in Van Horn get the train noise, most for 3 times the cost.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I will say it again. If you like predictable, overtly sanitized and entirely homogeneous, corporate led accommodation offered by national chains... the Taylor Motel in Van Horn, Texas is not for you. Just drive on by, there are many, many places to stay in Van Horn. You'll find one you like. However, if you are a motorcycle tourer on a budget and are looking for a clean, comfortable overnight layover in a pouring rain, this place is your danged huckleberry!

This very vintage motor court that has been as tenderly restored as any reasonable person could expect. Parking is adequate and at your door. There are no upstairs rooms, load at the door buddy! Each room has safe, paved, well lit, workable carport. A added benefit for this weary motorcycle tourer, considering it had poured several times headed west along I-10 past Fort Stockton. I was nice to be able to pull out of the rain to unload directly into the room under cover. String a line under cover and hang some gear out to dry.

The structure itself is old... but the room is totally and meticulously restored. Almost every fixture has been replaced. The furniture is relatively new and adequate for my uses. The walls are old fashioned vertical v-grooved solid wood painted siding. The art is simple and appealing. ALL the fixtures and appliances work and it appears that the entire place has been re-wired & replumbed. One clue... the bathroom had a GFCI. The ceiling was entirely new and the window were recent double pane, caulked and painted-in nicely. The AC was new and more than adequate. My room had a Microwave and a mini-fridge.

The WiFi was free but a bit slow. In functioned okay if you weren't planning on downloading video, constructing a website or managing multiple online databases while in the room. Generally speaking it should work for most people's needs. It did for mine, even in a pouring all-night rain and the following miserable morning; weather, news, Facebook within reason.... not too many images or YouTube downloads.

Like most of the older places in Van Horn, the rooms are close to the rail line. This line is very busy and you should expect 3 to five trains nightly. Personally, it didn't bother me because on the road I usually wear ear plugs anyway.

They do have a clean and adequate coin-op guest laundry, yet another strong issue with me! There are no phones in the rooms but they do have phone books... with coupon pages at the back. They have plenty of local food... Chuey's and Papa's (Mexican) comes to mind. Not much delivery. There is a grocery store and a couple of 24 hour truck stops that have almost anything else you could want... but I usually like to eat local. While the TV's were low-rez CRT units... they were quite large and had inputs for my portable DVD player. Which I REALLY, REALLY, (I mean REALLY) like!

The bathroom was the marvelously restored deep-set mosaic and wall tile so common in motels of this time period. Genuine three-step stucco over lath and expanded steel. The floor and shower was clean. When flushed, the toilet did run... but my father taught me a trick about fifty years ago; "Jiggle the lever!"

That done, everything was awesome. Adequate water pressure... adequate drain... adequate cleanliness. Attentive but not overly snoopy staff. Covered parking adjacent to each room. Room to string up a laundry line for road gear. Could it possibly get any better?

The "Mary Poppins" of a a motorcyclist's idea of the perfect motel, "Practically perfect in every way."

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
11  Thank Phil M
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pretty hard to beat, it is clean, comfortable and inexpensive. I could tell the owners took great pride in their little place and I loved the carports between the rooms. I will make this my default stop whenever I'm in Van Horn, I even saved their number into my phone. Internet, light breakfast, cable TV, no not flat screens but for 28 per night, you got to expect some cost saving measures and I would rather have a ultra clean room and an older TV, than a nice TV with a cruddy room. Yes I could hear the train, but its not too bad, it is the only downside, but I believe you will probably hear the train no matter where you stay, Van Horn isn't what you would call a sprawling metropolis.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The people who run the place seemed nice enough from my brief encounter upon arrival, but it's unfortunate location and slightly dishonest statement to me force me to give it the lowest rating.

Their little motel is right next to the train - quite literally 100 feet (according to Google Maps) - and the whole place literally shakes when a train comes by. Just after arriving as I stepped up to the desk in the little office, a train started to pass. I asked how many trains a night their were and got a reply of one or two. (The office is at the front of the hotel - about 250 feet away from the tracks - and didn't shake, but the room and everything in it did.)

If they had been honest with me and told me trains would be passing all night, I would not have stayed.

But, for those who can sleep through earthquakes (or train-quakes) and want to give it a try, Google Maps reported their location about a mile to the east of where they really are, and has their location labeled as the Sands Motel.

Obviously I don't suggest anyone to sleep there (or at any of the little motels along the tracks for that matter) but should you want to, a few other notes about the place, both good and bad:

- The room I had was heavily smoked in
- The bed was old
- Sheets were clean
- Bathroom was small
- Water pressure was fine

Room tip: IF you stay, get a room as far away from the tracks as possible.
Date of stay: April 2013