“Great little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taylor Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Van Horn
Taylor Motel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Great little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pretty hard to beat, it is clean, comfortable and inexpensive. I could tell the owners took great pride in their little place and I loved the carports between the rooms. I will make this my default stop whenever I'm in Van Horn, I even saved their number into my phone. Internet, light breakfast, cable TV, no not flat screens but for 28 per night, you got to expect some cost saving measures and I would rather have a ultra clean room and an older TV, than a nice TV with a cruddy room. Yes I could hear the train, but its not too bad, it is the only downside, but I believe you will probably hear the train no matter where you stay, Van Horn isn't what you would call a sprawling metropolis.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

The people who run the place seemed nice enough from my brief encounter upon arrival, but it's unfortunate location and slightly dishonest statement to me force me to give it the lowest rating.

Their little motel is right next to the train - quite literally 100 feet (according to Google Maps) - and the whole place literally shakes when a train comes by. Just after arriving as I stepped up to the desk in the little office, a train started to pass. I asked how many trains a night their were and got a reply of one or two. (The office is at the front of the hotel - about 250 feet away from the tracks - and didn't shake, but the room and everything in it did.)

If they had been honest with me and told me trains would be passing all night, I would not have stayed.

But, for those who can sleep through earthquakes (or train-quakes) and want to give it a try, Google Maps reported their location about a mile to the east of where they really are, and has their location labeled as the Sands Motel.

Obviously I don't suggest anyone to sleep there (or at any of the little motels along the tracks for that matter) but should you want to, a few other notes about the place, both good and bad:

- The room I had was heavily smoked in
- The bed was old
- Sheets were clean
- Bathroom was small
- Water pressure was fine

Room Tip: IF you stay, get a room as far away from the tracks as possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank keylight
Redlands, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was not sure what to expect for $35.60 for a night ...but it was not bad at all!
I was assigned to #1, right next to street. It was 3 beds suite(?) room (Queen, Double and single beds). The room had refrigerator, TV (not flat screen) with limited cable program and simply furnished. The bathroom tiles are 1950's pink and burgundy color but everything is very well cleaned.

A train passed by around 10 pm with laud whistle, shook whole room but it happened only once. Breakfast is just sweet pastry with coffee - I did not expect much for the price I paid, so it was OK.
There are many motels and hotels in this little town - around 15 of them and all are priced pretty low. I saw the sign for $25 per night. I have never been to other places so I can't compare at all but it was OK stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank oldprune
Salem, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have stayed at The Taylor Motel three times and have been impressed each time by the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall upkeep. It is also a blast from the past motor court, which is great too.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dennis B
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have now stayed here twice on our Texas trip. We like finding older motels that have been resurrected and this is a good one. We had three of us traveling and for $38 we had three beds, two rooms, two tvs and bathroom with a shower. I'm very pleased with the cleanliness and service. It's true that trains run behind the motel, so if that's a problem, go across the road. Otherwise it's great. Coffee and Danish are available in the morning. The rooms are small, but who cares? Clean, updated, and a funky charm!

Room Tip: Closer to the road, farther from the tracks!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pleasanton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I could not wait to write a review of the Taylor Motel! Our family stayed three nights here last week, and were so pleased!

We were in the area to hike in Guadalupe National Park. We looked for rooms in Carlsbad and White's City, which are closer to the park, but we didn't have any luck -- the rooms in Carlsbad were extremely expensive, and the rooms in White's City did not have very good reviews and seemed expensive. We saw the TripAdvisor reviews for the Taylor Motel and decided to take a chance.

We stayed in Room 1 and had two separate sleeping areas. One of the rooms had a queen bed, which was very comfortable, a night table, desk, and a TV. The other sleeping area had a full bed and a twin bed, a night table, desk, and TV. This set-up was perfect, as we had our kids with us. The shower stall and toilet were in their own room, separate from the sink. There was a large countertop around the sink. The room was equiped with a small refrigerator and microwave.

This is a very old motel (I believe it was constructed in 1915) -- the rooms are dated, but that did not matter to us. We were looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep, and that is exactly what we got.

The bathroom was supplied with fluffy, clean, white towels, along with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and soap.

Fresh coffee was available in the morning in the lobby, along with danishes and granola bars. The staff members we encountered at the motel (owners?) were very friendly and efficient.

The trains did pass through frequently, but did not bother us -- the heater/air conditioner drowned out any noise caused by the trains.

Like another reviewer, I found it difficult to assign a star rating. We found the Taylor Motel to be an unbelievable value -- we paid $36.00 + tax/night. It fit our needs perfectly and was spotlessly clean. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Griswolds07
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

After reading awful reviews for expensive hotels near Carlsbad Caverns we followed a recommendation to stay in Van Horn (Van Horn was a great one night stop over travelling from the east with a nice easy drive north to Carlsbad Caverns the next morning). Taylor Motel was great with email communication, room was enormous and exceptionally clean. Even breakfast was nice with cereals, hot chocolate, fresh fruit, muffins and health bars. This hotel in another location would be exceptional. Only negative is that a train line runs through Van Horn which could disturb light sleepers if they do not use ear plugs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple