“Nice stay at historical hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Capitan

Hotel El Capitan
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Van Horn
Texas
“Nice stay at historical hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We needed a place to stay where we would be close to Carlsbad Caverns for our tour the next day. This town is very small and quaint and they did a wonderful job restoring this old hotel. The courtyard is very inviting and the lobby is beautiful. Our room was a good size for this type of hotel but the bathroom is tiny. The hotel, as is the entire town, is next to a busy railroad, so during the night we did hear alot of trains blowing their whistles as they moved through town but we took it as part of the experience of what it must have been like to stay there during the old days when it was built. Not alot of choices in restaurants in town so we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. The place is small and they only had one waitress but since we were staying there that was ok. The food was unique and good. If you are wanting a different type of experience than a chain hotel and going to El Paso or the caves this is a good place to stop.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Seabrook, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Same owner as Paisano in Marfa, same style, but smaller and less upscale.
Small room, but nice and clean. The hotel is and old and gorgeous building, worth staying just for that - have a coffee outside in the courtyard and ignore the surrounding area (and the train...)!
Easy and free Parking, complimentary and decent breakfast. Staff ok.
Pretty much the only decent place in Van Horn.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Great service. 1930 historical motel. Located downtown. Enough parking for small cars to big rigs. Great location. A time in history still standing and in working order. Service at its best. The staff had exceeded my expectation.

• Stayed March 2013
Deming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Lovely, historical hotel just off I-10. The room was immaculate, the staff was so friendly and the restaurant experience was 5-stars. We enjoyed an impromtu tour of the hotel and learned so much about its rich history. Beautiful scenery with tours of nearby parks available.

Room Tip: Suite with its own balcony worth every penny!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived here later than we wished and did not get to enjoy the ambience of the lobby and bar/restaurant. The casual retro style was awesome, but the room was quite comfortable by "modern" standards. We will definitely try to stay here on future trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Peasant surprise. Rooms are small but extremely clean and lovely. The staff friendly and helpful. Very quiet, no outside noises to disturb sleep. The best surprise was their bar and restaurant. We'd stop there to eat even if just passing through. The food was EXCELLENT!! We had Caesar Salads one with shrimp and one with chicken. It was a REAL Caesar and those of you who love them know exactly what I mean. Our server was a gem, service was timely without rushing us. Chef came out to visit with diners. Thank you Mae Mae and Alessandro!! Definitely will stop again on our way home!!

• Stayed March 2013
Sun City, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was so relieved when I stopped here after driving all day on day 3 of a 5 day trip across country from VA to CA. I had my 2 year old daughter with me and my pregnant German Shepherd. An hour behind me was my dad and son in a moving van and they were having trouble. This was the nicest hotel on the block, beautiful and quite charming. I met the head chef outside who was amazingly helpful. Then I received the most excellent service as the hotel concierge took me upstairs to show me a room to ensure its size would be adequate prior to booking it. The rooms run small but they are much nicer than a budget hotel. The staff were very excited to learn it was my daughter's birthday the following day and promised to make her something special (as well as a kids meal which are not on the menu) if we had dinner with them. After a long 3 days of driving and being worried for my dad and son, this place was a godsend. We did eat dinner there later and it was great, the waitress even walked my daughter to the elevator. I was dumbfounded by the amazing service after living on the East Coast the past several years where customer service has long since died-I cannot say enough great things about the people who work here. The breakfast is awesome & I highly recommend the waffles. Would love to visit again!! Thanks for everything!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business