“Good Texas Style Barbecue”
Review of Soulman's BBQ

Soulman's BBQ
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Van
Cuisines: Barbecue
Helena, Alabama
“Good Texas Style Barbecue”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Just off exit 540 on I-20 you will find very good Texas BBQ. You stand in line to order and have your choice of beef brisket, pork, ribs, chicken and sausage. ALL are very good. BBQ in Tx is different from BBQ in the deep south, but I like this. As you watch, the meat is cut per your order. Everything is succulent and tender. I haven't decided my favorite.

There are a variety of the usual sides: beans, corn on the cob, slaw, potato salad, etc. My favorite is the slaw with a vinegar based dressing Portions are generous. If you want more than one side, have a friend chose another and both of you share. There is a serve-yourself bar with little extras like pickles, chowchow, onions and others.

Service is quick and pleasant. Truckers stop at the Love's on his exit and walk over for their food.

When traveling from AL to Dallas, or returning, my husband makes sure to time our travel to stop here for a meal!

The famous Canton first Monday Trade Days occur only 14 miles down the Interstate. It would be worth the drive to take a break to go to Soulman's.

• Visited December 2011

Been to Soulman's BBQ? Share your experiences!