“Glad I didn't pay full price!!!”

and 1 more site!
Towering Oaks Haven
Ranked #1 of 2 Valley View B&B and Inns
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Glad I didn't pay full price!!!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I found a Groupon for this B&B for $75 a night a few months ago. We stayed there this Friday and Saturday night. When booking for the weekend the room we wanted was unavailable and the owner recommended the Texas Rancher room, which is on the third floor and does not have a connecting bathroom. Kari (the owner) stated the bathroom is just out the door, however it is more like 15 feet. While she does not book rooms that would share bathrooms, that is a distance to go. Also being an attic room, the AC was not turned on until after we arrived even though she knew we were coming. The room was 80+ degrees when we arrived! While the furniture was very nice and the bed was comfortable there are many little touches that are missing. The rooms are small, there are no hangers in the closets, and there was a mini fridge in the room that had to be more than 20 years old. And the TV in the room was about 20 inches. There are not many restaurants in the area and no information about what is in the area is provided. The bathroom was large, with double sinks, a stall shower and a garden tub, the shower has a rain shower head however it is so low that my boyfriend had to duck down. He is 6'2". The shower head was not set in the wall correctly. Also the toilet paper holder almost came off the wall multiple times as the anchors were not holding. While that may seem minor it was a focal point as some of the little niceties were missing. Since you have to walk to the bathroom, robes would be nice. Also since there is a garden tub, bath salts, bubble bath or something similar available would be nice, as would matches or a lighter for the candles set around the tub. While the bed half of this location was very comfortable with nice pillows and sheets, the breakfast left something to be desired. Both mornings there was bacon and sausage patties (though it was little left and the sausage was unappetizing), biscuits (very small), banana nut muffins and eggs, with orange juice and coffee (only powdered creamer). That was the entirety of the breakfast. I have had continental breakfasts at chain hotels that were more satisfying than this. There was no cereal, no milk and no good fruit options. All in all, the value for the Groupon was adequate but would never pay full price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annonymous886
Kari5412, Owner at Towering Oaks Haven, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
In response to the Aug 20th review you wrote...Since we do a lot of weddings and recently Groupon's, the room you may choose may not always be available so I always recommend another room or another date. That particular day, you choose to go with Texas Rancher on the third floor, which is not "attic space". The third floor has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms plus a living room. My staff prepared those rooms the night prior and never went back up there until you checked in which is when we found the AC broken. I, Kari Allen, called my AC guys and they came out in less than 1.5 hrs and said they fixed it. As time went on. it turns out, two things were broke and it did not get fully repaired until the next morning. We did move you to another room and I gave you a free gift cert ificate for a free night's stay. As I remember, we moved you several times and also moved a 32 inch TV and a different refrig to your room. (The 20 year old refrig was working and is cold)

As far as the shower, the shower head is low but that's how the house was built in 1992 and I have not renovated that yet. I did rennovated the entire rest of the7000sq ft house which was built in 1992. As far as robes, that is coming in the fall of this year. Candles and lighters--- we do not provide anymore, as most bnb's don't to keep an accident from happening. Bath salts and bubbles - there were bubbles in that bathroom.

Breakfast was at 8am and there was individual fruit cups, meats, eggs, juice, coffee, biscuits and all was hot at 8am. As I remember, I believe you came downstairs at 9 or so and there were other guests in the building so your breakfast may not have been hot. There was a microwave next to the coffee bar you could have used or asked us to refresh anything you needed. And we always have milk so you could have asked for it and we would have poured you a cold glass. I used to put it out daily and no one drank milk so I quit putting it out.

All in all we were accommodating to your every need. We moved rooms twice, I got you guys knifes, forks, plates, napkins and cutting board when you went and bought cheeses and crackers for a snack at 9pm. the next night you called me at 10pm while I was grocery shopping because you wanted your ice cream that was in the downstairs refrig. No matter how much my staff catered to you, you were unhappy and I am sorry for that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Amazing. Gorgeous. Relaxing. Me & my hunny had a blast.The owner and staff were sweet and accommadating. We fished, played in the pool, went up to Winstar(15 minutes away),ate wonderful breakfast.....we did not want to leave. It is a perfect weekend getaway and we are planning our next trip up there.

Room Tip: I loved our room-Creekside
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountain Springs, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 1, 2012

The name says it all....Towering Oaks Ranch Resort...all of the above! Beautiful trees, ranch, and resort style with pool & hot tub!!! What a perfect weekend. My entire family and friends stayed at the B&B so we could all stay together and eat together. The Mexican Buffet we arranged out by the pool....it was perfect! I had my wedding ceremony at the gazebo and reception in the banquet hall....MORE THAN I EVER DREAMED OF!!!! Thank you to Kari and the incredible staff at Towering Oaks, all of your hard work and efforts are more than appreciated. THANK YOU! We will be back for a romantic weekend getaway...love the accommodations! Laura F, TEXAS

Room Tip: My favorite room is CREEKSIDE, front of house, second floor with a private bath. My relatives loved...
smyrna
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is the first time I have ever stayed at a Bed and Breakfast and I have to say I was very impressed. This weekend consisted of my best friends wedding where myself and all of her family stayed and the B&B along with the additional cottage and bunkhouse that is available. The grounds are beautiful and the Resort is beautifully decorated, very clean, and very nice comfortable beds! Kari was so accommodating and friendly to everyone, I do not think she ever sat down. The wedding arrangements, ceremony, and reception were all PERFECT! The whole weekend just flowed nicely and every one had something to do, from laying by the pool, to relaxing, fishing, and shopping close by. I highly recommend this B&B, I promise you won't be disappointed!! Thanks Kari! Angela Gleaves Nashville, Tennessee

1 Thank angelag722
mission bc
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This was such an incredible place to be. From the epic grounds, stunning buildings, charming touches and incredible owner and staff. We were part of a wedding at this location and couldn't think of a better venue!!!

1 Thank greg e
La Quinta Inn & Suites Gainesville
Comfort Suites Gainesville
Comfort Suites Gainesville
#4 of 12 in Gainesville

Been to Towering Oaks Haven? Share your experiences!