“Inexpensive Hotel for the Area & 2 Star Rating”

Super 8 Universal City
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Universal City
Houston, Texas
“Inexpensive Hotel for the Area & 2 Star Rating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

I've read some reviews about this hotel and was hesitant to try it but the price was so good, we thought we would see for ourselves. The poor reviews were from more than a year ago.

We've been greeted by a couple of different desk clerks. Two were pleasant/nice and one was OK and could best be described as indifferent about her job (twenty something bored with work?). They've put some work into the place the last couple of years with the bathroom/shower tile and counter top areas being refinished/new. The bathtub itself did need refinishing but most importantly the room was pretty clean. If I had young children I obviously wouldn't let them play on the floor, but I wouldn't do that at the some higher rated hotels either. Mattresses are worn but comfortable. (Hey Super 8 Mgr, its time to start replacing them). Air conditioning units seem relatively new and out of the 4 rooms we've stayed in only 1 was a little noisy when it would cycle on.

This is obviously not a 3 or 4 star hotel but it is a good deal for a 2 star hotel, especially compared to others in the area (NE San Antonio & New Braunfels). It seem pretty full on the weekends and not too full during the week (as far as we can tell by the hotel parking lot). The local area appears to be nice and safe (nice apartment complex across the street) and the parking lot is lit up very bright at night.

We've stayed there 4 times in the last month and feel it is a fair price for a two star hotel. Since we travel to the area weekly, we will be returning throughout the summer. Our kids are in their mid-teens.

The prior reviews make me wonder if some people who rated this hotel lower had too high of an expectation for a $60 summer weeknight ($90 weekend) hotel. Also, I think this used to be a Comfort Inn many years ago so if you read reviews referring to it as such, you can understand why.

Room Tip: Rates go up $10/night in June for summer
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Rinate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Asheboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

A good price and a fair room...the continental breakfast buffet had good english muffins....mold in the jelly packet....so stuck with english muffins and coffee.
If I go back will pick another motel.
I don't mean this in a bad way but we could hardly understand the clerk.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

I deeply regret not checking EVERY aspect of this room immediately. Upon opening the door, a cockroach ran outside as if escaping the conditions. Perhaps the food garbage hiding in the bed-side stand had made it ill. Maybe it was just hyped-up on the old coffee grounds still in the coffee maker. It could have been poisoned by the numerous paint chips flaking off in the tub. The A/C vent in the bathroom was located directly above the the clean towel racks. The condensation soaked through the entire stack of towels over night and began dripping on the ridiculously loose toilet seat. The television remote control suddenly heated up to the point I could not hold it in my hand. The batteries were about to melt. I turned it in to the office for a different remote. That remote did not work the TV. I will NEVER stay in ANY Super 8 Motel EVER again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Universal City hotels

Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

The Super8 Universal City has no respect for military families or any guests for that matter. The first room we were given had a broken TV and a large rusty chip in the bathtub. The wifi does not work and the staff admits this with a shrug -- so don't count on getting any work accomplished. Perhaps the worst thing that happened was that the second room we were placed in had human fecal matter on the bedspread in the portion of the blanket that was up by our heads! This was such a disgusting experience. When we called to complain the attendant said "I ain't got nothin' to do with that..I'll send the housekeeper." The housekeeper laughed when she saw the filthy blanket. She didn't care that we were on our way to a family funeral nor did she have any empathy for what we had been through. I contacted their corporate office to complain in the hopes that something would be done while we were there, but it's been 5 days and still no response. The onsite staff are rude and inconsiderate. I believe that this is the only motel in Universal City, but you are better off staying in nearby Schertz or Selma for a safer, cleaner experience.

• Liked — It was close to the military bases
  • Disliked — There were feces on the blanket, completely unreliable wifi and rude, uncaring staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

The staff was extremely rude, the rooms were dirty. Me and my family only stayed for two and a half hours and due to a family emergency. The manager would not give us a credit due to us having the room checked out for more than an hour. They said they have hourly customers that come in all the time and did not feel the need to give me any money back. SO MY TAKE ON THAT IS THEY HAVE CERTIAN TYPES OF CUSTOMERS THEY PREFER.

Stayed July 2008
Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. We were in town visiting family. It was your average hotel for the price. The only downsides would have to be the breakfast and the location. There isn't much of a lobby area and there are like 4 tables with chairs just in the middle of the room with some doughnuts, bagels, and cereals. The hotel entrance is accessed directly off of Loop 1604. During busier times, it's a little nerve racking to have to turn right into the entrance from a highway with the traffic going 65 mph...and vise versa when exiting the hotel. There is an outdoor pool, which always seemed to have people swimming in it, although we did not take advantage of it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank ravenwood
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2003

Stayed at this this Comfort Inn Aug. 1/2, 2003. Check in people were not particular helpful or friendly. Ice machines were always empty, but in fairness, motel was quite full. Still feel they should have had more ice machines for number of rooms they have. 2nd day, we left room about 9 for breakfast, returned about 11:30. room not yet cleaned, but since we had to get ready for wedding, put "DO not distrube sign" on door until about 1:30. Left for wedding (took sign off door), returning about 5:30. THEY DID NOT CLEAN room, just left some towels in sack in front of room. Have always stayed at Comfort Inns, but may check out different hotels after this experience.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
La Quinta Inn San Antonio I-35 N at Toepperwein
Navona Live Oak Hotel
Navona Live Oak Hotel
#236 of 354 in San Antonio

Been to Super 8 Universal City? Share your experiences!