“Terrible experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uncertain
Hodge Podge Cottages
Ranked #2 of 2 Uncertain B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I made my reservation back in July with the nightly rate clearly said and drawing down my credit card information. And everything seems going on OK untill only two days away from our trip. As a precaucious, I called again since no email or confirmation number ever provided for my reservation.

To our utmost surprise, the lady and the lady's daughter told me, all the cottages are booked out now and cannot find our reservation at all. What a panic you can imagine if you have planned a trip for THREE families and thought you have all the lodging handled way ahead!!!

This is a place recommended by my friend. But you know what's going to happen? I'm going to spread the words as much as I can to let people DO NOT go there. They are lacking of credits, no appology, even didn't admit what they had done.

Shame on them!!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank V M

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have to say in all honesty our stay was wonderful. We stayed in cottage #1 which was fairly well clean and very comfortably furnished. Central air conditioning made our stay in June even more comfortable. The exterior was very well taken care of. Nice lawns with a nearby community fire pit that the kids enjoyed. The lake and area in general were beautiful. My wife & I were planning our next trip back as we left.

All was well until we returned home and discovered we had been charged a day + tax (approx. $200) on the debit card I used to reserve the cottage. We had already paid cash in full for our stay the day we arrived. Realizing this was probably an honest mistake, I contacted Joann regarding the error. I was told that sometimes she forgets and that happens, but that it would be corrected and refunded right away. After a week of no sign of a credit or contact from Joann, I emailed her with no reply so then I called her. She proceeded to tell me she had had a terribly busy week and just didn't have time to get to it, but she would right away. That severely rubbed me the wrong way considering she took money that wasn't rightfully hers and yet didn't feel the need to refund it promptly. However, I was certain after this call the money would be refunded, but it was not.

She called that night and left a voicemail stating there was nothing she could do until the next day because it was Sunday. Naturally, I understood this. I checked my bank account for the next 2 days and still no credit was received.

We checked out of the cottage on June 10th and I was calling her on June 25th still trying to get my refund. She claimed she had ran the refund twice already but they had a couple days of electrical problems. It had already be nearly 3 weeks! Furthermore she couldn't tell me or remember exactly when the electrical problems had occurred. I talked to her again on the 26th to tell her I still have not seen a credit to my account. I was given the same "run around" and lack of remembering what happened. I was told she would run the credit again that day. It was even suggested that if I didn't receive the credit that maybe I could come stay an additional day.

Finally, my wife got involved on the 27th. She talked to Joann and her daughter. Her daughter said there was record in their books of one credit being ran on the 25th. Joann told me she was running this on 3 to 4 different occasions. Her daughter also told my wife again they had a couple days of electrical problems. This was really beginning to get ridiculous and a little suspicious. We had bills due and really needed the $200. After talking with both of them, my wife insisted on them mailing us a cashier's check. Joann said she would mail a personal check. My wife again insisted on a cashiers check. Joann's daughter at that point said they would go into town and get a cashiers check. This conversation happened that Thursday. My wife told them we would give them a few days. If we hadn't received the check we would be calling again. We live in the Dallas area and I know this is 2 days max by mail.

When Monday evening arrived and we had no check in the mail. My wife decided to call back to confirm they mailed the check and to ask when. Joann said, "I think I mailed it". Devastated, my wife asked if you purchased a cashiers check you have a receipt for it right? You don't know if you mailed it? Joann stated she mailed a personal check.

At this point, we accused them of theft. My wife told her if we didn't see a credit in our account the next day(today July 2nd) we would be pursuing legal action and hung up with her. Today, I finally received the credit to my bank account.

The way I see it, they stole 200 dollars from us from June 10th to July 2nd. It took having to go the brink of seeking legal assistance to get it back. Luckily, we were able to pay our bills. I couldn't help but think of those less fortunate who may have saved their money to visit Hodge Podge Cottages and had their money stolen only to return home to bounced checks and not being able to pay their bills. And the fact that they had no sense of urgency to refund the stolen money is reason enough for me to never stay here again or recommend it to anyone else for that matter. This saddens me because I truly enjoyed the stay and the area but it's not worth risking financial uncertainty & negligence on their part.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
16  Thank Jason E
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the Shipwreck. when I saw pictures I was excited , but when I got there, I saw it was really small. The lower part of the boat has a bed, a lil table , a kitchen and a bathroom. To get upstairs you climb up an iron ladder, raise the trap door and there is a bed there for another person. HMMMM! I took one look and told my friend I wasnt sleeping upstairs. what if i wanted to go to the bathroom in the night? I didnt want to climb down a ladder in the dark! The bathroom was tiny. I told my friend to stand outside the boat while I showered.There was a microwave , no coffee, I couldn't imagine cooking there!
The plus other than the novelty is that it is right opposite to the Lake. Here is why i would never stay there again. I had booked shipwreck at least 2 months before. As we were driving from Dallas to Uncertain , the owner called and told me that she had over booked the rooms and that she had committed to another party staying there and to find another hotel. I haven't yet got the hang of driving and looking for a hotel to stay in at my destination. suffice it to say we didn't find vacancy, I called her back and she was very offhand and said Oh I gave that party another place to stay in! Gee thanks for telling me!

Room Tip: dont stay here if you are 2 or more people. its tiny.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Ratna N
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the shipwreck. It was smaller than expected but very cute inside. When we arrived the beds were not made and the trash was full. We called the owner and reported the condition they immediately arrived and simply made the beds. They did not change the bedding from the night before's occupants. After sniffling and sneezing all night we left disappointed. Other than the bedding issue (yes they were dirty) we had a great time. My son loved the ship and played hard inside and out. I believe a little cleaning the air conditioner/heater or something would have fixed our allergies.

I would recommend the shipwreck for a day trip! Or maybe bring your own sheets and blankets, it was great entertainment for kids!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Really nice area of Texas. Cottages were clean and everything seemed to be in good condition. Not fancy for sure. Lots of outdoor furniture and kayaks available for outdoor activities. Bring what you need though since it is quite a drive to get supplies. No 3 and 9 seemed te best choices.

Room Tip: No 3and 9 on the water and had more room for sleeping. Dock at no. 3 for fishing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rachel53
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Stayed there a few weeks ago. The cottage we wanted wasn't clean/made up so Joann moved us to the next cottage over that was larger. Whoo Hooo! Unfortunately the heat didn't work. We were all settled in/unpacked and didn't feel like moving again. Woke up to a chilly 57 degrees. No worries we big boys and girls.

I emailed Hodge Podge to just fyi them for fixing for the next guest. Received no response or even a sorry. Kinda of rub me wrong..

However the cottages are just lovely and right on the Caddo Lake River. Very beautiful and pretty. Cottages have a homely touch and cozy. Probably just a blimp on the radar/perfect storm for our visit.

Room Tip: Check the heat or a/c and amentities before unpacking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike M
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I stayed at the Shipwreck cottage (a converted houseboat) with my 3 children. We loved it, it was perfect. The houseboat has a private bedroom upstairs and a fold out couch in the salon and a double bed in the fo'c'sle downstairs. We cooked outside on the barbecue pit and borrowed the owner's canoes for a paddle around Caddo Lake. It was fabulous. The only drawbacks - no curtains in the bathroom and the linens could use updating.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hodge Podge Cottages? Share your experiences!