Review Highlights

Needed some bait...

Reviewed August 28, 2017
coagula
Marshall, Texas

All reviews caddo lake boat tour marina ranch karen hand fishing reservation houston bait guide cabin sense weekend dock
Reviewed May 14, 2018

Great stop during one of our paddling trips on Caddo Lake. Nice covered deck to relax on and have a drink or snack. Very knowledgeable employees on the area.

If you are visiting Caddo Lake area and boating for the first time without a guide, buy one of their waterproof maps of all the boating waterways on the lake. You can get lost pretty easy. We bought some worms while we were there also to use for some dock fishing later.

Reviewed May 2, 2018 via mobile

First off, I agree with the other reviewers that the staff of Johnson's Ranch Marina are extremely nice. Very friendly.
My sister and I take one weekend a year to get away and have fun. After reading the reviews on Johnson's Ranch Marina and thoroughly looking at every picture on their website we called in February to reserve the Knotty Pines cabin. I confirmed the Monday before our reservation and was assured that the Knotty Pines cabin was ours. We called in route to remind Karen that we would be arriving after 8:30 or 9 p.m.. she informed us that there had been a mix-up with the reservations and we had been moved to Kermit Castle. She assured us that we wouldn't have to pay the price increase do to Kermit's Castle being larger. We would pay the Knotty Pines price. My sister and I pulled up Johnson's Ranch Marina website while driving to again look at Kermit castle and see what we could expect upon arrival. In the pictures on the website it looks cute and cozy. What we found is a far cry from what was advertised. I copy pictures from Johnson's Ranch Marina website to post with this review, and I've posted 2 pics of what the actual living room and kitchen look like. Kermit's Castle is described on JRM website as a three-bed, two-bath mobile home. In fact it has 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. The linoleum on the floor is peeling, the floors were so dirty that we were socks and shoes the whole time because our socks were turning black. The blankets and towels did smell fresh. There is sticky stuff all over the counters in the kitchen had not been thoroughly cleaned. A nice thick layer of dust and cobwebs covered everything. There isn't any Wi-Fi. And only one TV station will come in on the antenna.
In truth, I believe that whoever had reserved permits Castle arrived earlier in the day, and seeing the true condition of the mobile home demanded different accommodations. Since they had already arrived at bird-in-hand was worth two in the bush. To be fair we did not complain about the condition of the accommodations. My sister and I decided to focus on the positive of being together and look at the entire experience as an adventure versus throwing a fit. But upon further reflection on our 3 & 1/2 hour drive back to Houston we, again pulled up the website to looking at the pictures and description, comparing it with the video and pictures we took.
I believe something has to be said. It would be unfair for a family to reserve Kermit's Castle expecting a three-bedroom two-bathroom cute little fishing lodge and arrive to a 1970s, 14 foot single wide with peeling linoleum floors, Dusty cobwebs covering the surface of everything. Hair and dust on countertops, lumpy tilted mattress, slanted & tilted cockeyed floors, Etc. Oh, we found out late Saturday afternoon that there is actually a laundry room on the back side of the trailer. A gentleman on site spent all afternoon doing his laundry. We couldn't figure out why the entire house kept shaking and every piece of glass or metal was vibrating. When we found out about the laundry room it suddenly made sense. Every time the washer or dryer went on spin cycle the entire house shook.
The weather this past weekend was beautiful so we did enjoy the front porch and the view it afforded us of the activity going on at the dock.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

Went to Caddo lake for the first time in years and after a flat day on the water bass fishing, figured we would get some minnows and try our hand at fishing on the dock for some crappie. My buddy I was with recommended this place as it was close by and they were having a benefit for a local community member. This place was packed, but the people were extremely easy to get along with and we were helped out quickly and went back to it. The people seemed dang nice.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Just went there for fishing bait and supplies. Prices seemed a little high. Service was prompt andp helpfull.

Reviewed July 5, 2017

Stopped by here to see about hiring a boat and guide for a 1-1/2 hour trek. Told us to come back in 3 hours - perfect. Got there and our guide was prompt and off we went. He showed us so much in a short period of time. Wish he would of spoken up a bit more as the noise from the engine drowned him out quite a bit. We enjoyed it very much. The guy who made the reservation was a character and we would of like to visit with him more. We will next time. Highly recommend this place for guided boat tour.

Reviewed November 27, 2016

Johnson's Ranch Marina is the best place to anchor your heart. Good people, great fishing and everything to accommodate you. Rustic is part of the magic. If you want Catalina - go there. If you want to truly relax and kick up your feet and catch a few or just glance at the water and herons... The place and the people will put a smile on your face and a dance in your heart. Feeling blue? Get there quick!! Best place ever!!

2  Thank Fishing4aDream
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

During a long business trip my co-workers decided we should all venture out for a day. I stumbled upon Johnsons marina. We rented canoes and kayaks and paddled for about four hours ($30 per boat). The canoe trails were perfect! We were able to navigate through the trees, lily pads, and brush very easily. Each turn was another jaw dropping view. Local fisherman were very friendly as we passed. We saw beautiful fish and birds and even a small gator. I definitely recommend boat rental from Johnsons. They also have motor boat tours. The staff was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed. Note: none of us had any cell service at all.

1  Thank LindsayBaines
Reviewed March 11, 2016

My husband, kids (10 and 12), and I took and hour and half boat ride over spring break. We really enjoyed it, although I think the Cypress trees are more impressive in May or June. The guide was very informative about Caddo Lake and we were able to see two alligators during our trip even though it was a little early in the year for them.

The boat was really nice in that it had four padded seats and no sides, so you could easily see all around you.

The first thing my daughter said when we finished the boat ride was "I want to come back here and stay in a cabin and go fishing on this lake."

Reviewed November 21, 2015

I highly reccomend the Caddo Lake tour. Very scenic and informative. A must do for photographers. The guide was very knowledgeable.

Reviewed September 23, 2015

Great tour of lake with Chaz in a Go Devil boat. He was very knowledgeable and friendly. I recommend him as a guide for fishing or touring.