“Nice,clean,comfy and convenient”

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Tyler
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice,clean,comfy and convenient”
Reviewed April 7, 2009

This is an older hotel that was bought by Holiday Inn and renovated. The exterior is nothing special and the parking lot could use repaving. The lobby and rooms were nicely updated and clean.Beds were comfy with soft sheets/blankets-plenty of pillows.Cable channels/wireless internet was nice. Our room had a balcony and faced the pool although you could not go onto the balcony,it was locked. When I called the front desk to ask why they said that when Holiday Inn bought the hotel they locked all of them permanently. So if you have one of these rooms, don't plan on sitting on the balcony. A little disappoinment. The staff were all friendly and in the lobby they offer things like toothpaste,shaveing creme,razors at no cost to you in case you forgot yours.Nice. Another perk was they allowed pets which is hard to find now days. There are lots of restaurants to choose from,including one in the hotel. Shopping wasn't a problem,the mall and lots of other stores were near by.Overall,it was a nice stay and definitely would stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
TylerDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
We are pleased to announce that our hotel replaced our parking lot in May 09. Our guests are very pleased with the new appearance of our property. We have completed carpeting our hallways and renovating our public restrooms as well. Unfortunately we are not able to open the balcony doors. However, most offer a great view of our pool and sundeck. We look forward to seeing this guest again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Tyler
Reviewed March 12, 2009

From the moment I walked in the door, the staff was amazing. It was refreshing to walk into a clean hotel after a long day of work and see so many smiling faces. The front desk was very friendly, fast and efficient. My room was nice and clean and I really loved that my bed had all the different pillow comforts to choose from. I ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious and the service was even better. I would definately stay here again. It made me feel like home away from home.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Tyler Texas on October 18 for one night. I always prefer Holiday Inn Full Service while traveling over the Express. However, I have changed my mind after staying at this hotel. We were new to the city and i needed directions so I asked the front desk clerk. She was not able to help us and she sure didnt care to help us at all. This didnt bother me too much until we were not made aware that the pool and "spa" area were closed. Another guest told us it was also closed the last time they were there. The guest room had few guest amenities, one complementary water bottle, when the sign clearly said, "enjoy two complementary water bottles", only generic shampoo and lotion and bar soap in the bathroom, no tissue in the dispenser, no cream and sugar for the coffee and only one tea bag. The room displayed a complete lack of caring about the comforts of the guest. My wife and I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express which was only a couple minutes from the full service, hoping that it would be a more caring and cleaner hotel. From the minute i stepped a foot into that hotel, I had been amazed, as if the Express had been a full service. The front desk was welcoming and informed us that the hotel had been through a major renovation, previously being a wingate inn. I will never stay always stay at the Express over the full service while visiting Tyler, Texas due to their kindness and the amazing rooms they had.

• Disliked — Staff & Rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TylerDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
I am disappointed as well that this guest's experience was not as great as most of our other guests experience. However, I would like to share some information about the issues he brought up. Our pool is an outdoor pool and is usually closed from mid-Sept through mid-May each year because of the cooler temperatures. However, his room key would have given him access to the Sundeck around the pool. We do not have a Spa area. We do have an exercise room and an off property Health club that is available to our guests. Only our Priority Club members receive bottled water and snacks upon check in and Priority Club membership should have been offered to him upon check-in. Our bath amenities are standard amenities for Holiday Inns but are of very good quality. We also have other amenities like toothpaste, razors, shaving cream etc. complimentary to all guests in case they need them. Our coffee makers are one cup coffee makers and make only one cup at a time. In each room, there are 3 regular coffees, 2 decaf coffees, 2 teabags, and 2 pre-wrapped cups with lids. There are 2 pre-wrapped condiment packages with 2 sugars, 2 cream packets, a stir stick and napkin in each. Any one of our staff members would have brought them anything else they needed with a phone call. We hope they will try us again and give us a chance to meet their needs.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I stayed here for two nights. The lobby was attractive and we were greeted within seconds. The desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. Our room overlooked the pool area which was very nice - the toddler pool, regular pool, and hottub were all well maintained. The hotel is built in a square around the pool area, so there is privacy from the outside world which is quite nice.

The room was very comfortable and also well maintained. Heavy doors and thick walls made each room very quiet from outsider noise. It appeared to be recently updated. For internet access, a cat 5 network cable is provided for those without wireless capabilities. There is also a wireless access point in the room, so those with wi-fi cards can quickly and easily access the net. We had three laptops going at one time without any issues. The desk area and office chair were very comfortable. I found this to be very friendly for the business traveler.

The bathroom was spacious and also updated. There was a separate vanity area just outside the bathroom. This made it much easier to get ready as we had four women sharing the room.

The location of the hotel is convenient to tons of shopping and restaurants. It is set just far enough off the main road that it was also very quiet.

Our stay was quite pleasant and I would definitely book here again.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Wish the double beds had been queen sized.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Flint, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights for a wedding. I worked with a very helpful customer service person named Nikki in the sales department, and arranged a block of rooms for our out of town guests. She helpfully and pleasantly changed arrival dates and numbers without a problem! She was most helpful in all aspects of our planning.
I had asked and hoped that our family would be close together, but unfortunately we had people scattered throughout the hotel, on five different floors. I knew this was not promised, but I understood they would do what they could to keep us close.
That being said, our stay was very enjoyable. The front desk people were all very nice, courteous, helpful and accomodating.
The breakfast, while not included in the room rate, was very good! Service there was a bit slow, but food was good either off the menu or buffet where they cooked omlets made to your request.
It would have been nice to have a fridge or micro in the room, as we stayed four days, and there are some rooms that do feature these niceties, but ours were not one of them.
I know of at least 12 rooms booked for this wedding occasion, and all guests liked the accomodations and location of the hotel.

• Liked — location to wedding events
  • Disliked — having 12+ rooms of our wedding guests spread all over the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank zizzr
arlington, tx
Reviewed April 20, 2008

We spent 3 nights here and had a great time.. The rooms were clean and quiet. The staff was super friendly and accomodating

We also spent every night in the hotel bar, and they had great kareoke and a great staff there as well.

One of the best experiences I've had in a hotel in a while.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Sherry D
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I was a little concerned, considering the past reviews, but I had a great stay here for one night. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, the room was clean, comfortable, and in good working order. The elevators were very fast. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, though a little over-priced. The internet service worked very well.

The pool looked inviting, but had no time for it, unfortunately.

I have stayed here several times over the years, including back when it was a Sheraton. I will definitely return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business