“Not too bad” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Not too bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Met up with a friend in Tyler, and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn on South Broadway. Seemed the hotel was a little bit older, but wasnt a bad stay at all. The bath room was a bit small for my liking, but thats the only thing that I personally didnt care for. Would I stay here again tho, yes!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Thank you for your review on the Holiday Inn So Broadway Tyler TX. We appreciate your comments and were happy to hear you enjoyed yourself during your stay. We hope to see you again when you visit Tyler.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Broken Arrow, Ok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was very comfortable as a single woman at this hotel. The hotel rooms were very clean and the air conditioning cold. The atmosphere didn't have a lot of pomp and circumstance, check-in was swift and the staff was very kind and helpful. I loved, loved, loved that I could walk to several restaurants to eat dinner. If I had to find one thing that I thought they could fix, it would be the workout room. I was still able to get a pretty good workout in, but it could use some help.
I will stay there next time I am in town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BAToeTapper
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel. I noticed you mentioned our fitness center. I have good news for you. In our multi millon dollar renovation we will be increasing the size of our fitness center. We hope to have that completed by end of third quarter of 2014. In the meantime, however, our guests are invited to show their room key at Woodcreek Athletic Club where they can use all the facilities while a guest at our hotel. Thank you again, see you soon!
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Traveled to Tyler with family for a race with two young boys and an 18 month girl. We travel alot and could get past the renovation mess. Didn't know it when we booked but it is what it is. However, we didn't ask to be kept awake all night by dogs barking. The room next to us had a dog that barked loud and non-stop till it's owner arrived back at midnight. A few doors down was another dog barking intermittingly due to this dog. Front desk acted like there was nothing they could do. Said that they should have a policy that you can't leave your dog unattended. Great idea but too late for us that just paid good money to listen to that non-stop for 4 hours. We all had to be up at 6 am and manager on duty next morning offered nothing but a few jokes, which we were not in the mood for. Hotel doesn't seem to have it's act together and is still struggling to catch up to the others around it. I'd avoid it if at all possible, as we will next time we are in Tyler.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ToddCR
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the issue with the dogs. We are working on new policies to handle the Pet Friendly hotel concept of our hotel. As far as the renovations are, we have completed the total room renovation except for the closet and guest rooms doors. The pool area has been completed with a new pergola and new decking. We will soon be renovating the restaurant and lounge that will not affect the guest room area. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. I hope if you return to Tyler you will check out our new look.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

After last year’s experience at a different hotel in this city for the same type of meetings, I was leery. It was refreshing to have front desk staff welcome me and offer a speedy check-in. This chain offers no frills standardization, with clean rooms and basic amenities. I can’t speak to price since the reservations were handled by another, but all aspects of this hotel imply a great business trip experience.

Because of the uniform accommodations, if you’ve seen one, you have pretty much seen them all. You probably would not have a romantic weekend trip at this hotel, any more than you would to this city. However, if you, as a married couple or as part of company travel, were in the area to take advantage of the low cost tourist spots, natural beauty for hiking, the famous roses, or whatever other than Valentine’s Day variety trips, you would do well to stay at this property.

My room was large and clean. Additionally, we held a meeting in the hotel and the facilities were sufficient. I did not see any high technology equipment, but ample outlets, bright lighting, and so forth allow nearly any meeting to occur there with ease.

The only odd aspect of the stay was the room situation. Our group had the second floor. When I looked out of the window, which appeared to be like any other, the view turned out to be of a corridor. You could look out at the meeting rooms on the first floor from the room. Since the window didn’t open, I couldn’t imagine why it was situated that way. Amusingly, some lights installed in the pseudo-balcony area outside of the window are on a timer of some sort. In the morning, I forgot that there was no window as these lights mimicked a sunrise!

The best part of the hotel, and the parking and location are great, is the restaurant. Pam and another server were awesome when we went down for breakfast .The omelet station fellow made a delicious omelet (waffles are an option too) to augment the assortment of fruit, hash browns, biscuits, and many other breakfast options. Yogurt and cereals of many brands and makeups flanked granola and other items abounding in variety. Pam made sure that our water and coffee cups never emptied.

I will suggest that we use this hotel next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate the fact that you took note of our quality staff and great food. We are completed with the room renovations and soon will be renovation the restaurant and louge area. I hope when you return next year you will be able to enjoy the new atmosphere. Thank you again....See you soon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

For the price they charge to stay go find another hotel. The hotel was under renovation but I could tell if our room had been renovated or was needing it. Many cosmetic flaws within the room. The deadbolt on the door did not function. The refrigerator did not get cool enough to use. The worse part of the stay was the water temperature in the room was messed up. While taking a shower the water would change from scolding hot to freezing cold on its own and our friends who stayed a couple floors up also reported this.
They wanted as much money as the hilton down the road and other hotels who had gotten a lot better reviews. The customer service was not the best either. While asking for a change of rooms the front desk girl seemed preoccupied with a fellow male co-worker who looked like a maintenance man. Needless to say we did not get a room change and was told there is nothing that would fix because the problems with the water is hotel wide.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding the water issues you and your friends encountered during your stay with us. I am happy to report that we are close to 80% complete on changing out our shower valuves that caused the issue to happen. We have 183 rooms and it has taken a few months to get all the rooms completed due to occupancy issues. I hope that you will come back and see us again when the renovations are complete. Thank you again for your comments.
Mount Pleasant, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We have stayed here several times and will not be staying again. The front desk was not friendly or helpful and this had nothing to do with the renovations taking place. First we asked for a room close to a door because of an injury making it difficult to walk. We were told there wasn't any other room available. This hotel has hundreds of rooms and the parking lot had about 100 cars that evening. This was an obvious lie. We reached our room way way back at the back down several long hallways. The volume on the television wasn't working properly, kept cutting off and on like a bad cell phone connection. I placed some milk in the refrigerator which was not cold but slightly cool. The next morning we told the front desk about the tv and the fridge and without apology or any kind of caring, they said they would fix it. That evening it was not fixed, my milk ruined. They just didn't care. I wanted to leave the rotten milk for them but would not because the cleaning staff was friendly and thorough so I wouldn't do that to them. The trash can beside one of the outside doors had trash all around it. It was left there for several days. There is no excuse for this lousy service. We will be back in Tyler in a couple of weeks and will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your comments to Trip Advisor and our brand website. As I explained our hotel has 183 rooms and have been booked the last two weeks. I am not sure when you stayed with us but I do apologize that we could not get a room closer to the lobby or elevators for you. I will check into the situation with the milk. I see that you mentioned you stayed with us before so I hope you know this was an isolated incident and not the norm for our hotel Again, thank you for your comments
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I will start out by saying that this is a very nice hotel, have stayed here before and will stay in the future. We stayed this past Saturday night and it was a bad experience, due to a clerk checking us into a room that should not have been rented for that night. They have a row of rooms that face down into a banquet hall. Opposite your window are the doors to banquet halls that are rented out for large receptions with LOUD music. The air ducts seem to carry the NOISE across this banquet room and bounce it off your windows. You couldn't even hear TV, let alone sleep. These rooms are also listed as handicapped. After three phone calls, we were told the music would stop at midnight and they were nice enough to cut our room rate by half. Supposedly, these rooms are to be used only for an emergency on the night receptions are being held. My ADVICE is when checking in, make it clear, you will not take one of these rooms. Besides all this, it is a lovely hotel, great restaurant/bar, nicely decorated rooms and in an area where there is a mall and all the great restaurants that surround the mall. It is easy to get to.

Room Tip: Be sure to refuse a room that looks down into the banquet hall. NOISE! These rooms are also listed...