“First and Last”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“First and Last”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was just coming from another Holiday Inn in which I had spent over a month for work, so I had similar expectations for this property. The other hotel was smaller, but they truly made me feel at home.

For this stay, I had requested a room with a pool view, but I was sent to a room overlooking a terrace with all the AC units. Not only I did not feel safe, but the room also had a bad smell. I requested to be changed, and there was a room on the same floor with pool view and no smell, which tells me that my request was probably not even read. Room was good size, but balcony doors are shut closed - I guess for safety, but in my case that is one of the features that attracted me to this property. I walked around and pool pictures posted on the web were probably taken with a wide lens as size of the pool was much smaller. Since I arrived TV was not working (No signal), so decided to have dinner and wait to see if the problem will be resolved by the time I returned. Nothing happened, so I called the reception and they were supposed to send an outside technician. I waited until close to 11 PM, nearly 2 hours later, and nobody showed up to get this fixed. I could not go to bed waiting for the tech, and at the end nothing was fixed.

I was planning to extend my stay, but after that first night, it was my last, I moved to another hotel. I love the Holiday Inn brand, I am a platinum member with IHG, so I have stayed in many different hotels. This one not only did not met expectations, but I found staff not very attentive or willing to solve problems.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sooner_orchid
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments concerning our hotel. I was very disapointed to learn of your dissatifsfaction with the service you received. I do not have access to the original reservation you made to see why your request for a poolside room was not honored, if you would like to call me I would be happy to look into it. Our pool is one of the largest hotel pools in Tyler it is 8ft deep at one end where many of the new hotel pools are only 4ft deep and much smaller. Our balcony doors do not open as a safety measure for our guests. I was unaware of any TV issues and I apologize that this issue was not resolved. Again, thank you for letting us know of your concerns and like I say if you want to give me a call I would be happy to investigate further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights for the State baseball championship games and it was the perfect location. Rooms had obviously been recently renovated and were spacious, very clean and appointed with up-to-date furnishings, including a large flat screen TV. The bed was very comfortable and they even give you a choice of pillow type (clearly marked). The A/C worked great which was a relief coming in from 95 degree weather. The staff was exceptional. Very friendly and wanting to do anything to make our stay better. Breakfast had lots of choices, including an omelet bar and a good variety of fresh fruits, cereals, juices, grits, potatoes, etc. I had trouble getting WIFI in my room but was told some rooms have more trouble than others. That would be my only suggestion for management - make sure ALL rooms have it. I would definitely recommend this hotel for families.

1 Thank houstontravelingfool
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. My Staff and I love it when our guests notice all the improvements going on at the hotel. There are many more to come so next year if and when you return to Tyler to play ball check us out and see what is happening at the Holiday Inn So, Broadway.
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times over the past 3-4 years and always felt it was a good option for the money and location. However, this past trip it was moving beyond shabby into the ick factor. My room, which was not very up to date, also had a faintly unpleasant smell--not quite sour or mildewy but almost. The tub tap leaked, and the shower head was inadequate.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, the room was nicely dark and the A/C was very good, almost too good. I set it on 78 degrees F and slept a little too cool.

The staff was, as it has always been when I've stayed there, very welcoming.

I was on one of the two concierge floors and had a complimentary breakfast in the concierge lounge the next morning which included scrambled eggs and bacon. That was a nice perk.

I was using points for this stay, and from now on this hotel will probably be on my "only if I can't afford someplace newer" list.

Room Tip: If you're an IHG rewards member, request the 7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. I apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. We have just completed a total renovation of all sleeping rooms and will be starting on the bathrooms in the near future. I would be interested in knowing what part of the room was not up to par since we have put new furniture, lamps, bedding, crown molding, in all rooms. If you feel like giving me more detail please call me.
We are also completing the corridors, exterior, landscaping, pool abd restaurant and lounge.
Once again thank you
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Laura and I believe Becky were very helpful in directions and a spectactular speedy checkin.
this is the Place to stay in Tyler.very nice and quiet rooms also,good food,and that wonderful smile Laura has.Thank YALL very much.
RNMSN53@gmail.com

Room Tip: all rooms are Excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rnmsn
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments regarding Laura and Becky, I will see that they are rewarded for their efforts to help you feel at home while you travel. Thank you also for your comments regarding our hotel. We are renovating several areas of the hotel and hope to see you again on your next visit to Tyler
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

One of the nicest staffs i have ever experienced. I felt like every person was really going out of their way to make my stay perfect.

The rooms were nice, clean and large.

I would highly recommend staying here.

1 Thank ScottCowtown
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Wow! On behalf of the management and staff, we want to thank you so much for noticing all the great changes going on at the Holiday Inn So Broadway. We have completed the room renovations except for a few minor details, but more is on the way. We will be redoing all the corridors, exterior, landscaping and a new restaurant and lounge coming in the near future. Please check back on your next visit to Tyler to see the new look.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week during the state Tball Championship, I was traveling with 3 kids age 10, 6, 1... Rooms were on the smaller side but still great. Pool was a big hit with my bunch and the adults traveling with us enjoyed the bar at night. Had trouble connecting my iPhone with their wifi though. Also the bath tub in our room would not drain without someone holding down the "thingy". But those were minor inconveniences. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and trust me I checked under the bed under sheets and all... Fridge and microwave were nice in room.

• Stayed July 2013
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. We appreciate the feedback from our guests as we use them as training tools to increase awareness in our staff as to what our guests are looking for in their travels. I hope the team won their tournament. Hope to see you again in your travels to Tyler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Cannot say enough good things about this one. We booked it at the last minute on a weekend trip. The lobby and common areas do have that old "Holiday Innish" look, but the guest rooms have all been recently updated. It was clean, comfortable and well located. The staff was friendly and helpful. They have neat little lounge with live music too. Location was great as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelManagerHISB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Tyler-South Broadway, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments concerning our hotel. Our rooms did turn out quite nicely and at the end of the year we are planning to continue the second phase of our renovation which will be the restaurant and lounge. An exterior facelift and pool upgrade is in the works as well. Hope to see you again in your travels to the Tyler area.