“Comfort Food Deluxe”

Cuisines: American
Jacksonville, Texas
“Comfort Food Deluxe”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have eaten here quite a few times and this time was a bit different. My wife had the catfish and I had the grilled round steak. Her catfish was like eating rubber. It was really gummy and chewy and the fish had a really odd taste. Needless to say she didn't eat much of hers. My grilled steak was really chewy and got a really small portion this time as compared to my last visits. The waitress argued with me when I ordered white gravy with my steak vs their usual brown gravy. I had decided if she gave me much more lip I would just get up and leave. She didn't but sure wasn't as friendly as when we first sat down to order. That was reflected in her small tip. I was disappointed this time as the comfort food I was expecting turned out really bad. Not the usual style for this place.

• Visited February 2014

Texas
“Very good food”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been here a few times, and we always have good food. It is served hot, fresh, and tasty, and the wait staff is attentive. We enjoy the pot of beans you can help yourself to, and the various flavors of ice cream is a nice treat after the meal.

Tyler, Texas
“Good Food”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Really nice restaurant. Good food, good service. Their hamburger special is really good and love the beans & free ice cream.

Murchison, Texas
“Will be going back.”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Yesterday was my first time to eat here. I had the smaller chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, turnip greens and the free chili beans. I could cut the CFS with my fork. It was well seasoned as were the turnip greens with bacon pieces. I loved the mashed potatoes and cream gravy. I just wished that I had gotten the pinto beans instead. The chili beans were alittle thick and tomato-ey. But overall this is a very good place. The service was excellent, friendly and kept our tea glasses filled. Didn't have room for the ice cream but will save room next visit, after all, being too full for Blue Bell is a sad thing.

• Visited December 2013
Henderson, Texas
“Hamburger special marginal”
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit here. To be fair, the place was pretty full at lunch time and everyone else seemed to be satisfied. I ordered the hamburger special (1/4-lb patty) and upgraded to onion rings. The burger was very non-descript; the one slice of tomato was so thin you could have read a newspaper through it. The onion rings were served almost cold; they were doughy and pretty tasteless. And there were only 5...

This might be a place to try for a proper meal and not just a burger but you couldn't prove it by my visit. Did I mention the dining room temperature was a little chilly for me...?