“Great Texas BBQ”

Stanley's Famous Pit Bar-B-Q
Ranked #2 of 383 Restaurants in Tyler
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Stanley's is the oldest operating mom and pop BBQ joint in Tyler, serving up true, pit smoked BBQ for over 55 years. Come try our perfect brisket, baby back ribs, turkey, fresh sausage, and pulled pork in a fun and family friendly atmosphere! Stanley's offers some other selections such as fish tacos and even has vegetarian items. Also be sure to try our two most popular sandwiches - The Mother Clucker and Brother-in-law. We have a newly renovated, covered, and enclosed patio where you can catch live music 6 nights a week. The patio is also now equipped with a full-bar that features Texas spirits, draft beer, and a nice selection of over 70 bourbons. We take pride to produce all our barbecue and sides fresh each day, so we occasionally sell out due to heavy and unanticipated guest traffic. Call ahead if you want to make sure we have something you're looking for! We also offer catering services for your next event. See you soon! Be kind and have fun!
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed with friends about 30 minutes from Tyler and they suggested we visit this restaurant as the BBQ is excellent. They were not wrong. The pork spare ribs and the beef ribs were beyond good and tender enough to be cut with a fork. The sides of black peppered baked beans, potato salad and pickles were also extremely tasty. This restaurant, which might look unassuming to a lot of foodies, was probably the best BBQ I've ever eaten and the price was so below what I'm used to that I would easily call it cheap. Our friends are regulars so the chef came over to say hello -- a very friendly fellow who I got into a conversation with about the band, Pearl Jam.

A recommended place to visit if you are anywhere near this area of Texas.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

No peach cobbler tonight because their oven was broken, but those things happen. WE had the combo plates that come with beans, cole slaw and potato salad. We tried brisket, pulled pork, and baby back ribs. The barbecue was good, but not as good as "The Swinging Door" in Richmond, Texas which I recently reviewed. The baked beans were the best of the sides with a good spicy taste to them. The pulled pork was a little bland I thought. The place looked like it could be a fun with its deck and entertainment on some nights.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I love barbecue. Stanley's has great barbecue. I drive about 40 miles to get to Stanley's and I usually eat the same thing every time I go. On their sliced brisket, tell 'em how you like it. You want the end pieces or maybe some bark? They'll hook you up. How about really lean, heavy fat or just somewhere in the middle? They will accommodate you with YOUR favorite part of the brisket. They have two sizes of chopped beef sandwiches. Regular or Jumbo or as I like to say, Huge or Ridiculous. I like to get a regular chopped beef and a slab of ribs. Can't eat all the ribs but they make a great afternoon snack. I get the ribs because I'm not a fan of their sides. You want great sides, make your own at home and come pick up the barbecue. I can't find a barbecue house that makes great barbecue beans, cole slaw or potato salad. To me those are the essential sides. I think Dickey's makes the best sides but they are average at best. Now the sauce at Stanley's is good. Good flavor and a touch of cumin detected in it. A good sauce is not hard to make but I'm amazed at the lack of quality examples of barbecue sauce here in East Texas. Again Dickey's and Spring Creek have the sauce(s) I favor most with Dickey's offering 3 varieties. Stanley's is good and unique with that hint of cumin. There's a place in Athens that has two barbecue sauces although I struggle to call them that. The main one tastes and looks like a doctored up Heinz 57 steak sauce. The other is not even worth trying to describe. This is why I drive 40 miles for really great cue. I saved the best for last. Get the ribs! End of story. Dry rubbed and smoked to perfection. Super meaty. No wrestling with dry ribs or ones so overcooked that the meat falls off the bone when you pick them up. A proper rib in my opinion should offer a little resistance when you go to bite it off the bone. Just a little. They are why I would eat here every day. The cobbler is noteworthy and the staff is very accommodating.

They are also a Texas Monthly Top 50 in the State. Come get in line for some great ol' Texas barbecue!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family was very impressed with the brisket, turkey and potato salad. The peach cobbler was really tasty, too. If you want to try it, get there early! They sometimes run out!

1  Thank Quiltlady0000
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This place has some really great BBQ. It is right over by all the hospitals so a great consideration if you need to get out and not go too far. Small inside but the outdoor seating is good and fully covered. Even nice to sit outside in the winter. I always judge a BBQ place by their Brisket and this one is totally awesome!!

1  Thank Stewie510