“Mouth Watering BBQ - A Must Stop And Eat On I-20 Near Tyler Texas”

Texas Best Smokehouse
Ranked #24 of 362 Restaurants in Tyler
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.texasbestsmokehousetravelplaza.com/903-877-0800
Richardson, Texas
“Mouth Watering BBQ - A Must Stop And Eat On I-20 Near Tyler Texas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I used to pass this combination truck-stop, BBQ restaurant and Sonic Drive in for almost 15 years before I gave it a try. I travel from my home in Richardson, Texas to see my family in Monroe, Louisiana all the time and this is now a new tradition.

I was an immediate and incurable addict to the BBQ they serve....

This is a large establishment with abundant car and truck parking. It's spotlessly clean on the inside including the bathrooms, and the service is East Texas friendly. If you do not know what East Texas friendly means, magnify Southern hospitality times 100. And the food!

I've always admired the countless side-dishes. The mouth-watering cobblers. The tangy potato salads. The sinful desserts. But never tried them because the sliced smoke sandwich was so freaking big I would not have room! This is not you powder-puff derby BBQ. The is the real deal.

The handsome cat who cuts up the meat recognized me because I always just get a sandwich with no sides. I then told him I occasionally write food reviews. He then wheeled around, opened the oven and pulled out what had to be a 15 pound whole smoked brisket. I then requested meat from the "top deck" or the crispy fatty section. You can smell the smoke outside so you know how delicious the meat must be. AND NO SKIMPY PORTIONS! At least two to three inches of solid beef on a large bun just kissed with sauce. I took my time and enjoyed every bite and also enjoyed the people watching. This is soooooo not Manhattan!

$4.99? Get outa here! Maybe it was $5.99. Call my investment banker! But that's around what it cost! BARGAIN!

I noticed the rib and other plate lunches did not scrimp on anything. The ribs alone look like something off the Flintstones.

Topping it all of is a HUGE country store selling everything from specialty candy to polished rocks.

Please be sure and check out the photos!

• Visited March 2012