“"New" Courtyard -- Worse for the change”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Tyler

Courtyard Tyler
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Tyler
Greenville, South Carolina
“"New" Courtyard -- Worse for the change”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Reasonably clean, but everything else was a downer. Humans are ill-arranged to use the bathroom sink, since we seem to want to stand in front of the sink to use it. This hotel had a cabinet that pushed out into the remaining space, requiring me to stand to the side of the sink to use it.

The staff are always too busy talking on the phone -- or to each other -- to engage the human customers standing before them. There always seemed to be a line of people queued up for anything requiring staff involvement. The once-wonderful Courtyard breakfast buffet has been replaced by a faux-Starbucks with very limited menu, intolerably bad service, and terrible food at outrageous prices. Most surprisingly, the manager was unable to break away to speak with an unhappy customer (me). After waiting for the desk clerk to get off the telephone, I asked to speak with the manager. She was tied up, busy, or unable to see me on any of the three occasions I asked to speak with her. My wife decided that we had experienced our last Courtyard experience, based on the existence of this one as an exemplar. As a 30+ year Marriott customer, I was shocked, saddened, and disappointed in the way this location has trashed the Marriott brand and reputation.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. This one hates its customers.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GreenvilleJim
Sales_Directorof, Director of Sales at Courtyard Tyler, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
GreenvilleJim, Thank you for staying with us during your time in Tyler, and for letting us know about your stay. While we do not have any control over the layout of the bathroom sink, we do have full control over guest service. We at Courtyard Tyler strive to provide all of our guests with exceptional service. I have addressed your concerns with the staff to make sure this does not happen in the future. Thank you again and we hope to have you stay with us during your next trip to Tyler.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed here 10/12/2014. Generally, most of the newer Courtyards are nice. The Tyler property is almost brand new and is nicely decorated. The hotel staff was friendly and attentive. The rooms are bright and pleasing. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RonDFW, Thank you staying with us while in Tyler. We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and hope to have you back again soon. Safe Travels!
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was visiting my sister our here with my family and we had a great experience in this new property. It was simple, modern, and the fire pits out back were perfect on cooler nights.

There are plenty of dining options just a parking lot away from the hotel and it's located along one of the primary roads in Tyler. I would recommend this to any traveler visiting Tyler.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
daveyeti, Thank you so much for this great review. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to hear from our guests, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stay here several times a year on business. The hotel is quite new and a nice, typical Courtyard. The only downside is that it is on the far end of the town, so depending on where you want to go in Tyler, it could actually be a 20-30 minute drive (seems like a lot for the size of the town). Pricing is reasonable and the services/amenities are fairly standard by Courtyard. There are several restaurants nearby (some within walking distance). There is also a movie theatre across the street.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Travel159549, Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to Tyler, and for this great review. It's wonderful to hear about our guests' enjoyable stays. I'm glad we were given the opportunity to provide world class Marriott service, and hope to see you with us again soon! Safe Travels!
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a great choice for us when we go to Tyler. The location is good, the hotel is fairly new and the amenities are typical, nice enough for the class of hotel. I like the re-designed lounge-restaurant area, although the banquette-style "cubbies" in the eating area are getting a little worn looking after only a few years.

The staff has always been helpful and welcoming. My room was quiet, even though I had neighbors. Beds are comfy, A/C works almost too well. I kept it off during the day when I was working in the room (in July!) and only turned it on at bedtime. I set it at about 76-78 which gave the room the feel of 70.

It's got nice workspace in the room as well, and the lounge-restaurant area was a great place to work during the mornings. Nice that the "cubbies" have power outlets for your electronics.

Room Tip: Ask the desk staff for your particular preferences, they're very helpful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Sales_Directorof, Director of Sales at Courtyard Tyler, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Tex4n, thank you so much for your wonderful review. I'm so glad you stayed with us and enjoyed your time here. I will be sure to share your remarks with our staff, who genuinely care for our guests and takes pride in providing the best service possible. It's always great to hear that guests enjoy our lobby and all the new technology that Marriott has put in to its Courtyard brand. Again, we're so glad to have had you here with us and definitely look forward to seeing you again. Safe Travels.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was a very nice stay. Chose this hotel because friends we were traveling with stayed here. The property is fairly new, convenient but in a quiet location. Comfortable, clean and well furnished. The rooms were large and comfortable. A/C works great! The staff was helpful and they have nice bistro in the lobby. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sales_Directorof, Director of Sales at Courtyard Tyler, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Robbie H, Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad we were able to have you and your friends with us while traveling. We want to provide nothing but the absolute best for our guests, and I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are greatly appreciative of this great review, and look forward that having ya'll back soon! Safe Travels!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a very nice Courtyard - seems very new. I was concerned about the ability to control the thermostat (a common issue in hotels) since it was near 100, but was happy to see that I could keep the room nice and cool. The rooms are nicely designed and have all you need. It's a great option if you are in the Tyler area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sales_Directorof, Director of Sales at Courtyard Tyler, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
WJ2011, thank you for staying with us during your time in Tyler. I'm so glad we were able to serve you. We make every attempt to exceed our guests' expectations, especially during the hot Texas summer. We are celebrating our 3rd year anniversary this month, and hope to have the hotel looking and feeling new years from now. Thank you again for your great review, and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!