“HGTV dream house nearby”

Woldert-Spence Manor
Ranked #3 of 6 Tyler B&B and Inns
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 4, 2005

My wife and I stayed at The Woldert-Spence Manor based on the excellent reviews it received on this web-site. The excellent reviews are well-deserved. We loved our stay at this 1859 Historic Landmark and plan on returning. The owners were all friendly and accomodating. They were very knowledgeable about the city and helped us learn how to get around Tyler. The location makes for easy access around the city and the off-street parking is very convenient. Not mention, we
were on minutes from the HGTV dream house, which was the
sole purpose of this stay. We also have family in the area.

The rooms are all tasteful, elegant and all very unique. They are larger rooms than you'd expect, and were very comfortable and roomy. We loved the gas controlled fireplace. ...no mess Also, the wireless internet,
complimentary newspaper, cokes & teas, was a good surprise. I
felt like we were stayting at a 4 star hotel in St. Louis, Mo..

This would be a great place to have a family reunion during the
Christmas or Thanksgiving holidays. Maybe next year!

Thank you to all the reviewers that turned us on to this place. We will definitely stay at The Woldert-Spence Manor B&B Inn again.

And thank you Mr. & Mrs. Heaton for making us feel right at home,
even when you were so busy.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Woldert-Spence Manor

Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2004

We chose The Rockway Cottage based on what we read on the web. We were not disappointed. Although located just South of downtown Tyler and in an urban area, you still feel like you have "escaped" the busy-ness of life. Rockway Cottage offers a great place to just kick back and relax if you want or as a place from which you can explore all parts of Tyler as it is close to the downtown as well as major thoroughfares. Yet it is quiet and secluded.

If you desire an urban setting with the feeling of seclusion along with southern charm and hospitality, try The Rockway Cottage.

My only question, is we didn't see it on
Trip Advisor. Maybe this should be reviewed
and/or changed soon.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
S. Memphis, TN
Reviewed November 28, 2004

We had visited The Woldert-Spence Manor 10+ years ago and on a trip across country we decided to stay again. It was even better than I remembered the 2nd time around! The Innkeepers/Owners have restored this old mansion, and had made numerous improvements to the property since we were their last. Too many to mention here. (Job well done!)
The grounds were spotless, the personnel very friendly and the food was outstanding. Definately try those extra-large biscuits. They had already decorated for the holidays, which got us in the spirit early. Oh yes, check-out their web-site which was created by the Innkeepers, probably one of the best B&B sites around. This was a plus, because we couldn't remember the name of the Inn. We had to do a Internet search. Just remember to turn-off the music, it's good music, but after awhile you would like some peace while surfing. The stay was extremely relaxing and we felt at home during the whole stay, maybe we won't wait 10+ years next time. (At least they were "still" in business.) Most of the B&B's from 10+ years ago are no longer?? My advise: Don’t stop at a B&B with staff, consider owner/operated B&B’s.
Why? If you ran it yourself would you or your staff do a better job. Ok, questioned answered.
This should be your second question: Is the B&B hosted or un-hosted.
If it’s un-hosted good luck in reaching the staff, during the day and or night.
We had one B&B which electricity went off around 4 in the afternoon. We couldn’t find anyone until the next morning, and that was only because we had called the law enforcement. We couldn't even take a bath. Thanks again Woldert-Spence!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2004

I recently spent one night at this wonderful Inn and agree that it was superb! We arrived late (after 9 pm) after a "long" drive and were immediately shown to our room which was lovely. A Nice bathroom with a claw-foot tub (a definate plus),
Cable Tv, Data Port, private porch, and Frette towels--Very comfortable bed with the softest sheets imaginable. The food was delicious, slightly faty but, well worth it. ...Too much to eat maybe. The fact that they have private parking well lite was nice too. The Inn is about 10 minutes from Pounds airport so I know the next time I am in Tyler., I am never staying anywhere else, while your in the area, just check
the out. Or maybe visit their web-site, tell them Trip Advisor does works.

Thanks "Trip Advisor" for a fantastic B&B experience!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2004

I must say that after speaking with the Innkeepers directly, I was COMPLETELY convinced that this would be a PERFECT weekend...guess what? IT WAS PERFECT! Richard is Mr. Heaton himself, answering all my questions with patience and enthusiasm, told me all the neat things to see and do. Our room was just perfect for us....clean, comfortable and so close to everything, yet VERY private. A beautiful spa and of course the main house itself...the breakfast that was prepared by the Heatons was definitely gourmet. And, each day's menu was very different. Tyler was grand town! Something for everyone! Our stay in Tyler was wonderful MOSTLY because of the hospitality of Woldert Spence Manor and we will definitely tell our friends and family, and we shall return. The house is beautiful and full of history. The family that runs the house is very hospitable and treated us very well. I would definitely stay in the Woldert Spence Manor again and recommended it to other travelers.
WS Manor is wonderful, from the moment you arrive you already feel like part of the family. The Heatons are so helpful and take such pride in their home, that you could not wish to stay anywhere better. The rooms are beautiful and the attention to detail is 100%.

We had so much fun, We are planning a return trip. The Owners make you feel right at home. You can feel the history. If you are planning a trip to Tyler ,TX, And you are thinking about staying at a Bed and Breakfast Inn, The 1859 Woldert Spence Manor is the place to stay. But don't take my word for it, Try it for your self. Margaret E. Dunn.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2004

I just got back from the most wonderful vacation in East Texas! Everything was perfect. My daughter and I got upgraded to the Rockway Cottage since this was all the had left. I made my reservations through Webervations on-line and it was one the biggest B&B rooms I have ever been in. 1 bathroom, an enormous living room, full kitchen, dining room with 4 chairs, TV,DVD/CDVCR with movies, lots of magazines & books to read, and a balcony. Impeccably clean, I couldn't find anything to quibble about (I admit it, I'm a quibbler if I pay for my room). Yes, the food is outrageously good. The Courtyard & fish garden is simply gorgeous.

I found the antique stores in the area to be very polite and not a bother at all. We walked along the brickstreets. We went to the Y which was a no charge since staying at The Woldert-Spence Manor.

Overall, this was the nicest B&B experience I've ever had in the Texas, where multiple problems often come with the territory. None of that here -- the service was unbelievably friendly and very professional -- on par with what I usually get in fine hotels. Even the towel were smelling good. The hosts were always eager to help and didn't hang around afterwards. I like to be private.

They also have a data port for your lap top, which I used every day to check my email & all.

Although the Woldert-Spence is NOT pricey, it's actually cheaper than going to other places, like way sub-par Atlantis, where we went last year. And considering the quality of rooms, food, and service you get at the Woldert-Spence, it's actually a bargain for me & my family. A big surprise was the Zoo, we didn't even realize Tyler even had a Zoo.
This is a must!! Thank you Patricia & Richard for making this such a pleasant trip for us. We will be back! ...I promise

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2004

I heartily agree with all of the glowing reviews. I stayed at Woldert-Spence for 8 nights while my son was in a Tyler hospital. It was a wonderful place to "decompress" after stressful days. Patricia and Richard could not have been kinder or more gracious. I returned with my husband and mother-in-law for a weekend get-away at a later date. We were all blown away by this B&B.
One thing of particular interest to Texas travelers - they must have a great air conditioning system, because even the upstairs rooms were very cool and comfortable, even when the outside temperature reached the upper 90's. They are also located directly across from a YMCA, which has free workout facilities for guests of the B&B.