“Looks like a 1950's Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge”

Days Inn and Suites Tyler
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Tyler
Chicago, IL
“Looks like a 1950's Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

This is not what you think of when you book a Hampton Inn. It is a 1950's roadside motel. It looks to me like it may have been a Howard Johnson's 50 years ago.

Like a 1950's hotel, the doors open to the parking lot. There are no interior doors. The road noise is horrible as is the clanking of the stairs outside the rooms.

This hotel is so old that it is impossible to get it clean. The bathroom looked very dingy.

The table with the internet connection cable was so close to the foot of the bed that you could not get the chair to fit. I hope you like to work standing up.

This is the most disappointing Hampton Inn I have stayed at.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Ultimatetravelking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

I took my family on a East Texas week end 5/1-5/2/09 using Hilton Honors points to celebrate my grandson's 5th birthday. When I checked in I presented a certificate from Hilton Honors and was never asked for a credit card. The second night we were awakened after midnight, my grandson had gotten sick and thrown up on the bed linens. We checked out of the hotel at 1:00AM and I went to the office to explain to the night manager what happened, he told me "those things happen". I asked if there were any changes, and he told me everything was charged to my Hilton Honors account. Thirty days later I received my credit card statement bearing a $200.00 charge. II contacted the general manager and was told I was being charged for damages to the room. The general manager had gone into my Hilton Honors profile and pulled up a credit card number that I use for business, without notification or permission. I contested the charge with the credit card company and Hilton Honors, but to no avail. I will never stay at this hotel and cannot recommend it anyone especially if you have small children.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Terrell40

Travelers are raving about these Tyler hotels

Tyler, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

I actually live in Tyler, but I've stayed at this hotel a few times. It's a good, clean place to stay. I saw a few concerns about the doors on the outside issue which I understand for people who are by themselves. However, I will say as a resident of Tyler, you don't have much to worry about in the area the hotel is located in. Tyler doesn't have a lot of crime and when things do happen, it tends to be in a few areas that are pretty small. Generally speaking in Tyler, stay on the south side of town. The Hampton listed as Tyler by the interstate is actually in a town called Lindale and is a good area as well even though it's right off the interstate.

One of the two Holiday Inn Selects in Tyler mentioned in a previous review is right up the road from the Hampton and is much newer (by about 15-20 years)

Stayed April 2007
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2008

I booked my reservation on the Hilton Web site, but as someone else mentioned, it did not mention that this particular Hampton Inn is actually a motel with all doors to the guest rooms on the outside. You can not get to your room through the lobby. Also, the elevator is on the back side of the building, meaning you might have to do a bit of walking if you're on one of the upper floors. Personally, it just seemed poorly lit and not very safe. The room was okay but a bit dated and the television reception was terrible. Yes, free HBO - but it was completely unwatchable in my room. The front desk was unable to fix it, so thank goodness I only stayed 1 night.

The staff seemed bored and uninterested in service. Being used to Express Checkout (where my bill is slipped under the door), I was very disappointed that I had to make a trip into the lobby to retrieve a copy because they either don't do it there or simply forgot. Considering the layout of the property, it was very inconvenient to go into the lobby. If you park in the back near the elevator, then you have to go up 1 floor and around to the lobby. (It's built on a hill and the lobby is actually on the 2nd floor when viewed from the back of the property).

Driving through town the next day, I saw several hotels that looked much more appealing - all with interior doors and room access via the lobby. If you really want to stay at a Hilton property, the Hampton Inn on the North side of Tyler near I-20 looks more like a traditional Hampton Inn and I might try there next time. The Holidy Inn Express also looked nice. I will definitely NOT stay at this particular Hampton Inn ever again. Very disappointing property (and I stay at a lot of hotels for business travel).

• Liked — Checking Out!!!
  • Disliked — The layout of the property with doors to all the rooms on the outside.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Naples. FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I am a female professional who travels alone on business. I booked this through the Hampton Inn web site. Nowhere did it state that this is a motel, with room doors on the exterior of the building. The clerk would not allow me to cancel without paying a one night penalty.

From what I hear, the Holiday Inn Select is the best place to stay.

Aside from being terrified all night, the room was clean, and the lobby was fine. I would not stay there again for my purposes.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Tyler on May 17-18 while attending a training class. Very nice hotel and pleasant front desk person, no problems checking in. The non-smoking room with king bed and bathroom were very clean, no odors. The room was nice and quiet, no problems with noisy neighbors.

Just a note on the hotel layout - the three-story building is built on the side of a hill, so the front lobby and breakfast area are actually on the second floor, while the first floor rooms are on the south and east sides.

The hotel is located in a suburban commercial office building area, well-kept, no shady characters hanging around.

The breakfast buffet had a decent selection of standard breakfast food and beverages, and the area was kept clean.

I plan to stay here again in a few months for another training class, and recommend it highly.

• Liked — Clean, convenient, decent price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Mission Viejo, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

After driving for 25 hours and being up for 37, all we wanted to do was find a place to stay. This Hampton Inn was the first place that we drove to in Tyler. The check-in at midnight was friendly and quick. The room was immaculate, smelled great and had everything that we needed. For the first time in eons, I actually fell asleep in a hotel without any problems (might have been my length of being awake, but I have been up before for long periods of time and not fallen asleep this quickly before in a hotel). When we got up, we were impressed with the level of breakfast served...hot sausage and biscuits, all the fixings, just a ton of stuff...the kids were SO excited and we were all full and happy to continue on our road trip. I will definitely stay in this hotel again if given the chance and I will always choose a Hampton Inn in the future on our road travels. This was my first experience with Hampton Inns and I will say that the impression was VERY impressive!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family