“Horrible Experience!”

WoodSpring Suites Fort Worth Trophy Club
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Trophy Club
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Horrible experiences!
This was our fourth stay at this location and it will be our last.

We had three groups that made reservations. Two of those reservations were canceled without a phone call and we didn't find out until we were trying to check in! No apologies or compensations were offered. The groups had to stay elsewhere and pay much more than they were expecting even though we had reservations for well over a month!

There weren't enough towels in the room. When we asked for more, we were told they would be in the room within an hour, however when we returned to our room later that night, they weren't. Then, when I asked for them (after hours) I was lectured by the old man behind the desk about how I'm not supposed to ask for towels after 9pm. When I told him I had asked for them at noon, he proceeded to lecture me saying that he had given them to me and not to ask after 9pm in the future! Extremely rude since I had obviously followed the rules!

On the second night, we returned to our room smelling like something had died in there! We had no trash at that point, so it wasn't from us. We were given, in my opinion, BS answers from the old man that had lectured me the previous night about the towels. Apparently the place was full, so there was nothing he could do. It was extremely unpleasant. I don't know if the smell went away or we just got used to it.

On a previous visit, we were actually locked out of our room because we didn't provide a copy of one of the guests drivers license, even though we asked about that at checkin. There was no phone call or warning or note. We were simply locked out of our room which is extremely unpleasant to find out when returning late at night and the desk is closed!

Customer service policies needs to be taken a look at since it appears inconvenient for the current staff to assist any customers if there is an issue.

The beds are horribly uncomfortable as well. They're basically a piece of plywood with a thin mattress on them. If you sit too hard, you'll hurt your tailbone.
The walls are super thin. You can hear everyone around you walking and opening doors all through the night.

I know of at least 15-20 people that will not be staying here in the future!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank bdickman77

Reviewed January 28, 2010

First, I agree with all the other reviewers of this hotel. It is designed as an extended stay facility best suited for transient workers.

Knowing we were not necessarily part of the target audience, we booked here because of its close proximity to my son's home. We were in town for our grandson's first birthday.

The place was very clean and really was just as described and as we expected.

However, we experienced a situation that was hard to believe.
When we checked in, the desk clerk informed us that she was upgrading us to a larger room because they had no non-smoking rooms available of the size we had reserved. Great! No problem! We went out for the evening with our family and returned at 8pm and find that our keys do not work. The office is closed. We call the office number from the phone outside the office and the office window opens and the night security/clerk presents us with an ultimatum authored by his manager. We can stay in the larger room and pay the higher price or we can move immediately to a smaller room that had become available and pay the lower price. I suggested this was not a way to treat a guest and we would be happy to move the next day since we had already been in the room, had unpacked and really didn't want to move right then. He was adamant. He even called the manager, who didn't ask to speak with us, but obviously reiterated his position. As a matter of principle (it certainly wasn't the extra cost - $10 a day) I said we would move and we did. When we got to the new room, the AC didn't appear to work. Needless to say we were quite unhappy. The night clerk just happened to call and we told him about the AC. He said it had been working 30 minutes earlier and would come up, but we declined since my wife was already ready for bed. After playing with the AC, I discovered the trick - put on the heat first and then switch to AC. We were going to move out the next day, but thought better of it since the hotel had not failed to provide the lodging or some other service we paid for and thus we would just have to pay for a second place. The rest of the stay was uneventful, but, because of the way we were treated, we will never stay there again. I really can't figure out any upside for the manager in forcing us to move that first night. We had occupied the room, so it would have to be cleaned again. Now, we hadn't messed up the bed, so maybe he figured he only had to replace a towel and wash cloth to clean it, but, wait, how would he know the bed hadn't been disturbed unless he had entered the room while we were gone...Hmmm. Actually, if he had asked to speak with me and explained some logical reason for us to move immediately we probably would have - we are very reasonable people, but instead he chose to have his night clerk/security person present us with an unappealing set of choices. It wasn't a real big deal, but it's certainly no way to treat guests if you expect repeat business.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rick0528
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Had a pretty ok stay at Value Place in Trophy Club, TX this month. It's amenities are VERY basic. It was overall clean, but the carpets were very poorly vacuumed and I did find hair in the tub. The provided towels were so small and thin they barely dried off a 7-year-old...so I recommend bringing your own. They also don't seem to provide an additional roll of toilet paper on the cleaning day...so for four of us staying there, one roll of toilet paper did not go far... The bedding is pretty horrible, was glad to have had sleeping bags along. The TV is VERY tiny. I've never stayed at an extended stay place before, but while visiting family, it made the most sense seeing we were more or less just sleeping there... I wasn't sure what exactly to expect and I suppose now I know that if I'm trying to acheive a certain level of comfort I must bring own bedding, pillows, towels, shampoo/conditioner, etc. They provide a bar of soap and 2 plastic cups...and a laundry basket.

The price is right so I may stay at one again if I'm somewhere for a solid week or more, but it would require much more careful, thoughtful packing next time... not sure I want to go through the hassle of bringing so many extras...

It was overall quiet with friendly fellow travelers. The laundry facilities were very nice. Internet, but need an ether net cable to get online. Late night security guy was very far from knowledgeable, not the sharpest tool in the shed...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tiffeecanoe
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks while my husband and I were trying to find a new apartment. It is a long-term stay hotel, where you pay by the week. It is a real bargain, when you divide the weekly rate by 7 days. The rooms are furnished with a plasma screen tv, a full size fridge, a rank cooktop, and a sink. There are 3 sizes of rooms to choose from.We were in the smallest of the 3 "floorplans".

Anyway, to keep costs down, there is no daily maid service. That can be good or bad depending on your preferences. They only clean 1 time every other week, and when we were there the maid forgot, and our room didn't get cleaned at all. They do give you the option (for $7 extra per week) to bring down dirty towels and bed linens,as they get dirty, to the front desk, and have them exchanged for fresh, clean ones. That was a nice touch, I must add.

Another problem that I have never experienced in any hotel before was that I could hear the upstairs guests walking around above us, sounding like a herd of elephants. (We were on the second floor, with 2 or 3 above us). I am guessing this is a result of shoddy construction.

Because they try to run things on the cheap, there is no 24-hr staff, only daytime hours, M-Sat, closed on Sunday, so there is no one to complain to for small issues after hours, only a hotline for emergencies. The staff was not overly friendly, more like moody, and inconsistent. You are charged quite high rates for telephone calls, even local ones, which I found a bit unfair.

I did have one emergency though that bears mentioning: the rooms open with that modern standard issue "room key card" that is inserted into the door until the green light appears. Well, the room key had to be inserted numerous times before it would open the door, and one time just stopped working all together...at 3 am in the morning when I was coming home from a late night out. I had to call the on-site maintenance, drag her out of bed, and have her redo the key. She told me it was easily demagnitized by cell phones and/or credit cards. That is surely understandable, but it is puzzling that I've used key cards all over the world, kept them next to credit cards, etc... and never have I had the trouble that I did at Value Place.

Also, the room was missing drapes. Not just our room, but every room. If you need any kind of day sleep, be sure to bring a sleeping eye mask. Be warned!

One final thing, this might be a small complaint, but the second story hallway stunk! It smelled like a combination of b.o and mold. Sometimes I had to breathe through my nose just to get to my room.

At first I thought it was a good value, but after comparing other hotels that even charge by the night, it is just "mehhw".

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Cambria Southlake DFW North
Best Western Roanoke Inn & Suites
Hilton Dallas/Southlake Town Square
Dallas/Fort Worth Marriott Solana

Been to WoodSpring Suites Fort Worth Trophy Club? Share your experiences!