“Nice Family Getaway- Fabulous Pool, Rooms Need Improvement”

The Woodlands Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We were in Houston for a medical conference and decided to drive to the Woodlands for a 2 day getaway. It was a quick and easy drive from Houston. The front desk staff were friendly and check in was easy. Our room was in the older section and was in severe need of remodling. It was so small you couldn't even open the front door if the closet was open. It was extremely dark and dreary inside and the water had a foul odor. I had read the previous reviews about the older rooms and they were right. Pay the extra money and stay in the new section! In addition to a nicer room, you will be much closer to the pool area. Our room was about a 5 minute or more walk in the 100+ degree weather. I will say that the staff that drove around in the golf carts were very nice and would offer us a ride to the pool entrance whenever they saw us.

Now for the good: The pool area is amazing! That is the only reason I gave this 4 stars. Our 13 and 7 year old girls had a blast. The 2 slides are very fun, even for adults. My 7 year old loved the balloon maker and the clown painted one of the best butterfly faces on her that I have ever seen! The pool food is pricey but the staff was very attentive. We put our towels out early and had no problem with saving chairs.

As far as the internet, it was $10/day in room but you could access it free in the lobby anytime. The front desk also printed our boarding passes for free which was very helpful.

Overall, this was a fun, easy family vacation with great activities for our kids.

P.S.
If you enter the main lobby area and walk all the way through the conference center hallway you will find a small shopping center with a good size grocery store. The rooms had no fridge but it was nice to stock up on snacks.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Abc123California
woodlandsresort, Media Manager at The Woodlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and comments with us regarding your stay. We are sorry to hear that your guestroom was not what you expected. We will take your comments under advisement as we are always looking to improve our guest services. We are happy to hear the whole family enjoyed the Forest Oasis Waterscape and fun summer activities. For any future stays, we do offer refrigerators upon request for no charge. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,349)

Reviewed July 17, 2009

spent a kid- free weekend with my husband for some R&R. The walls were so thin that we didn't sleep until 2 a.m. because our neighbors were talking. Asked for another room and got a third floor room at the Forest Oasis. something in the water pipes pinged all night and there is a movie shown at the pool until 10 pm or so that you hear from all the rooms. Had to get to the pool EARLY to beat the crowds. I'm sure kids would LOVE the waterpark - type pool there. Not for a quiet get- away though. You also have to walk about 100 yards to the main building in the HOT houston humidity in order to get to breakfast/ the restaurants. No (good) coffee available without leaving the building that the rooms are in. And Wi-Fi is available but only for an extra $10!! If you are travelling with intentions other than hanging out at a crowded pool with the kids - stay somewhere cheaper. On a brighter note - the bed was comfy and the breakfast was worth the extra money we spent if you are a grazer!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other potential guests. We are sorry to hear that you stay was not what you were expecting. Summer is a peak period for families with children staying with us. We will take your feedback into consideration as we look to always improve on our guest services. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 12, 2009

After hearing all of the bad reviews, I was prepared for the worst and I couldn't have been happier with everything. We stayed in the Forest Pines (newer) section on the second floor overlooking the pool. I couldn't think of a more perfect and simple family get-away than this. Our 5 year old daughter absolutely loved the pool area as well as the face painter and baloon animal maker. There were 2 bands Saturday afternoon playing nice music appropriate for families and plenty of nice children for our daughter to play with. There was a bit of confusion at breakfast. We thought our package included it, but it didn't. The management fixed it immediately. The pool waitstaff was amazing. All in all, I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other potential guests. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

Front Desk - The ladies were very courteous and were willing to bed over backwards to accommodate us however possible.

Conference Center - The Conference Center is outstanding!! I highly recommend having a wedding here or a business conference. Lots of rooms with natural light with fantastic views.

Hotel Rooms - Dreary colors, old TV (most hotels have moved to flat screens) and it felt very 80's to me. The television in my room didn't work. Also, the walls were paper thin. I heard every conversation the family had in the room next to mine. Although I found it hard to sleep due to the chatter I was very comfortable in the amazing bed, it was sooo comfortable. The bathroom was average with a regular tub. I was however excited to see fun Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom. Oh, and no mini-bar. I will say though... the room was VERY clean!

Pool Area - FANTASTIC! My 3 year old son had the best time!! I loved the detail in the pool…..the underwater treasure chest and under water music. Water slides were also a blast. The resort had a live band playing cover songs and a face painter entertaining the children. On piece of advice…get to the pool early and lay your towel down where you want to sit. Chairs were hard to come by on Saturday.

Bar/Restaurant at the pool - AMAZING! The staff at the pool was great and working extra hard in this 100+ degree weather. Kudos to the staff!! I highly recommend the Fish Tacos.

Restaurant in the Conference Center - I only had breakfast there and was very impressed by presentation and array of choices, not to mention the staff was wonderful.

Final thought - I really enjoyed my stay however the rooms were not very impressive. If I return I will bring a box fan to drown out the noise and a cooler for in room drinks.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank srlaries
woodlandsresort, Media Manager at The Woodlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to tell us and others about your stay. We are pleased to hear so many positive things about your stay. We also appreciate your feedback on items that may provide us an opportunity to improve We value your feedback. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 27, 2009

This resort has an old section and a new section. Avoid staying at the lodges which all have names like Gum, Hickory and so on. The rooms are so out dated that my four year old daughter noticed as soon as we got there. The pillows smell like feet. There were four pillows per bed and they all smelled bad. The air conditioning cooled however I could not figure why it was so humid inside. The thermostat stayed at 69 degrees but it managed to stay real humid. I live in houston and know what humidity is like. Ok. the bad stops here.

The pool area is the reason we visited the resort and I have to admit that its a good place to relax or take the kids. The drinks at the bar are pretty expensive and so is the food. We saw guest order pizza from little ceasars which made more cents. No ice chest are allowed in the pool area but I saw people walking around with their own drinks (no glass cont). It was not over crowded. Everytime we requested transportation on a golf cart to get around the resort, it was right oon and with a smile. The resort offers transportation to shopping mall at the top of every hour. The breakfast buffet was real good and do recommend.

So there you have it. Don't stay at the old lodges and request to stay at the newer rooms which are where all the pools and fun is at (water fun). Beware of the stinky pillows.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience with others. Feedback from guests like you is what helps us to improve our amenities and services. Thank you.

Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed here for a anniversary weekend getaway, got a baby at home and couldn't go real far so we chose here! excellent choice!! had not read too many good reviews so we wanted to post ours cause we had a great trip! Our room was very nice, comfy bed, great balcony view overlooking the main pool and tower with the slides. The Forest Oasis pool area was awesome and the main reason we picked here and was well worth it! The double helix slide was so fun! even for us adults! We really enjoyed relaxing by pool and having the waiters bring us food and drinks. There is an adult area at the back with its own huge pool and waterfalls and hot tub for more quiet relaxing away from the kiddos and the families, which we did use at times also. We did eat the Cool Water Cafe and food was all good, food and drinks kinda pricey but it didn't really surprise me, no higher really than at any other place, $8 average for yummy fruity drinks! Didn't keep us from buying either! Spent plenty still! We had purchased tickets to the Rascal Flatts concert and took advantage of the shuttle for 10pp to the pavilion from the resort, worth it for sure not to get stuck in all the traffic we saw afterwards. We also ate the breakfast in the dining room, expensive at 14.50 per person but very good, big buffet and would make a waffle or omelet at your request. Could have eaten cheaper somewhere off property but didn't want to have to leave. We did request a fridge for the room and they brought one at no charge which was nice. Always had great service here. The only negative thing I could say would be at night after dinner out we came back to the resort around 11pm and where you park for where our rooms were located at the Fairway Pines there was no parking, not enough. We drove around a bit but of course at 11 pm no one is leaving. so that left us parking across the property in the main parking lot near the main lobby which we had to walk to our room, it's not real far at all but just annoying at night.. during the day there are golf cart shuttles available to take you here and there around the property cause it is spread out which is nice, just not at 11pm! that would be our only complaint. Otherwise we had a great time, really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely go back. The rooms were kinda high for what we usually spend so we might do a cheaper room next time to help with the final cost, maybe see if they are ever a deal online or on their website in the future. Do eat at Grotto in the market street, VERY good Italian food! And had excellent service! And the fish tacos and the Tommy Bahama café are superb. Very neat shopping experience in the Market Street area also.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2009

This was my 2nd very long stay here (16 nights) and I was happy with the level of service and cleanliness of my room, together with the breakfast. Linen good quality and plentiful and heating/air con efficient. Bed very comfortable.

My concerns lie with the level of grumpiness of the some of the older Valet staff. I also was disappointed at the hotels inability to warn customers (paying customers!) when facilites such as no internet due to maintenance and the WHOLE pool facility to be shut down for nearly a week due to repairing some pipes.

Wow I would have been real happy if that had been my entire stay! Plenty of woman around the pool with young children just staring at a big empty hole in the ground!

From what I understand they have some issue with local people sneaking in to use the pool etc. Security staff are too much on the offensive, one guy and one woman made me feel very uncomfortable when questioned rather brusquely, demanding to see my room key ........hell I'd seen the woman nearly everyday for over a week! The guy was just too sharp, wait until the person is a proven freeloader......up until that point the person you are deaing with is a paying customer!

Breakfast staff are particularly friendly and very hardworking.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
woodlandsresort, Media Manager at The Woodlands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2009

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will take your comments under consideration as we strive to provide our guests with a safe and enjoyable stay. We look forward to serving you again soon.