“would never eat there again”
Review of La Lupita Mexican Cuisine & Bar - CLOSED

La Lupita Mexican Cuisine & Bar
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The service was slow and the food was not good. We ordered the queso, soup, salad, and meat entrees. It was a poor example of mexican cuisine, the flavors were off. Even the salad dressings tasted bad. Not at all what we expected based on previous reviews. On a Saturday evening, the atmosphere inside the restaurant was too loud to carry on a conversation. The prices were too high for the poor food quality. Wouldn't even order take-out from this restaurant.
The only good thing I can say is that the outdoor seating looked inviting, with a nice view of The Waterway.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Visited this restaurant in April 2013. Tried the Choriqueso as my wife is from South America and it is a dish she knows well. Needless to say it was nothing that approaches a traditional Choriqueso but was more grease and fat in a dish. We visited again with my parents on May 23, 2013. As I left work to find out we were dining at La Lupita I immediately recalled the experience we had a month ago however entered with an open mind thinking that maybe we just previously visited on an off night. This visit last night was something I will not forget.

I arrived late as my parents and wife had already ordered for me. As I sat down the waitress brought my wife a bowl of chicken toritilla soup which she ordered as an entree however it was brought out far in advance of any of our entree dishes. My wife again specified that she ordered the soup and wanted it to be served with all of our dishes. The waitress picked up the bowl of soup and started to walk away without even offering me one of their delicious margaritas without me having to stop her and ask for it. I will say that if you visit for drinks they do have great margaritas with several varieties however bring plenty of cash as they are proud of their margaritas.

Bottom line, we ordered chicken tortilla soup which was so over salted that you could not taste the broth. The chicken was dry and overcooked. We also ordered their specialty according to the waitress which is the sirloin tacos. Diced sirloin steak with a piece of avocado, side of tomatillo salsa, onion, and cilantro. The sirloin did not taste marinated and was bland in flavor. Then the salad...about average as a salad...drenched in dressing and soggy as it appeared from my angle although I did not try it. The order that was placed for me as I was late was the fish tacos. Unlike anything I have tried EVER. The fish...not sure what kind of fish...was pureed it seemed with some cilantro and other spices along with some kind of sauce on top of a tortilla and was accompanied with some onion and cilantro along with tomatillo salsa. Although I will say the taste was not bad it was bizarre for a fish taco...at least that of which I have had at several restaurants in the area and in Mexico and Panama. Most commom perception is that the fish taco is a fresh/refreshing serving of grilled fish, cabbage, cilantro, pico, red onion, etc that brings flavor and freshness to the grilled fish along with a delicious salsa or housemade hot sauce to go with the taco. This taco was heavy and greasy somewhat so not what I expected.

At the end $130 for four meals and a couple drinks each is way too much for the quality of food and hospitality that was delivered. On top of all of that, we had to ask twice for our check when there was no business in the restaurant for a typical restaurant in the Waterway area. After receiving the check, we waited another 15 minutes without anyone processing our payment before I finally walked to the hostess stand to request where I need to pay. The service was indifferent, uninspired, and will in turn not inspire me to return. The value offered is no where near what it could be for the price. Definitely a shame for the great atmosphere outside and great views of the Waterway area. I would much rather visit Yucatan Taco Stand just across the street, pay much less, get much better quality food, and a much more energetic atmosphere than La Lupita. Pay attention when visiting...the restaurant next door (Grimaldi's) is always busy however this place seems to never be at full capacity. For such a great location they need to do better!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went in for Cinco de Mayo and the service was awful. No specials like every other restaurant around was having. Their margaritas are NOT worth $15.00. We sat at the table for 15 minutes before we were acknowledged. Our waitress finally showed up again when another friend joined us. Needless to say we left after we had our drink as she never returned to ask us if we wanted to order food. I'll never go back.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

A truly charming restaurant with warm, welcoming and efficient staff, a wide variety of succulent Tex-Mex cuisine, a very comfortable and relaxing internal decor and seating arrangement but the best feature is being able to sit on the outside terrace overlooking the canal especially on a warm sunny day.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Have not had good authentic Mexican food in quite some time. Delicious! Staff was great. Our waiter grace excellent recommendations. Had a beautiful day to sit outside and enjoy the atmosphere even more. My son had the tacos de sirloin and I has the jica shrimp tacos. Excellent! Just the right seasons, cooked to perfection. We thought we would split a flan and our waiter recommended the flan de elote. It is made with corn. We all but licked the plate!