“Great place for concerts”

Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
San Antonio, Texas
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Great place for concerts”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Loved the openness of the pavilion. We had seats in the upper section under the canopy. There are huge fans that keep the air circulating but at times it can get really hot. Once the sun goes down it isn't too bad. Lots of people were on the grass area and they probably got a better breeze than we did in the covered seated area. The concert was great so that kept your mind off the heat. Take some extra spending money for drinks/souvenirs. Bottle water is 4.50 for small, 7.50 for medium size. Beer is 11.00 a can. T shirts run about 40.00 each. Lots of stalls in the restrooms. Very organized place.

Abbeville, Louisiana, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome. Great service! Felt very safe!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Staff abundant to see about needs! Great setting! Very secure and safe! Clean restrooms. Very efficiently run. No lines. Buy tickets under the canopies. Great location. We stayed at the Waterway Marriott, so it was VERY convenient! Looking forward to a future concert. I will most definitely stay at the Marriott and attend concerts at this venue again!

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Lynyrd Skynyrd”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great Show. One of the best open theaters in the world.Easy access.Friendly crowds.Lots of hotels and shopping .

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“It's Houston, It's Outside, It's Hot”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have avoided the Woodlands Pavillion like the plague for years. Parking was crappy awful, you sat outside in the Houston heat, it was w-a-y up in the Woodlands (over an hour from my house) and did I mention it was outside?

But I got some free tickets to see Barry Manilow and thought, "what the heck" let's see if anything has changed since I was there last.

It has! And except for the heat it was a a pleasant concert experience.

Since the waterway improvements, finding your car after the show is 1000X better. No more walking through the woods until you locate your parking lot. Lovely well lit walkways and plenty of traffic cops and attendants to help you get in and out easily

There are pay parking options like the garage in the back. But honestly getting out of that is a pain. I've done it once or twice and you sit a lot longer in that thing than you do in the free parking.

There's a drop off area on the north side of the Pavillion if you want to drop off folks and then go park too.

We actually parked in a private company lot in covered parking...for free! The walk over to the Pavillion was beautiful. We stopped a few times to sit by the water and watch the ducks and the kayakers. After the show we were back to our car and on I-45 South in about 15 minutes from leaving our seat. Fabulous!

I've never sat on the lawn but I do have friends that do at every show they see there and they love it. Honestly, until the sun goes down at your back even the covered seats are HOT. There's nothing that can be done about the heat. The seats close to the stage get some of the AC off the stage where it's cranked for the performers.

Drinks are CRAZY expensive. $7.50 for a large bottled water? Really? But there's plenty of choices for food and drinks.

Sound is really hit or miss depending on the band but the big screens on the side make for a nice experience.

Bathrooms are usually pretty clean and there's rarely a line too long.

I might go back...it would have to be free again or someone I just couldn't miss the opportunity to see.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Katles
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Star Spangled Salute was Spectacular!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

For 16 years now, the Houston Symphony Orchestra has been entertaining audiences on July 3, with a patriotic concert at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion. This was our first time, but we will definitely return with friends and family next year. The event is FREE and you may bring in outside food, but will need to purchase drinks at the venue. There are lots of great handouts given as you enter (American flags, light up bracelets, fans, headbands, etc) The patriotic music really gets you in the spirit! This year 2 former American Idol contestants sang accompaniment to a few songs...I don't watch the show so I didn't know them, but the crowd went wild. Of course, there were a couple of great Texas songs thrown in the mix. I particularly enjoyed the military medley, where members from each branch stood up when their song was played. The concert finishes with the 1812 Overture, complete with real cannons set back on the hill that fire at the appropriate times. It was really impressive. Best free event I've attended in years!

1 Thank travelchick14