“Good food and service”
Review of Kim Son Cafe - CLOSED

Kim Son Cafe
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: "This is part of the chain of Kim Son restaurants in Houston, TX. This place just opened a few weeks ago".
Reviewed January 15, 2013

On of these places that is great to stop by if you want a nice dinner but nothing fancy. Service was very good but the place could do with some noise cancelling stuff in the ceiling as it tends to be rather noisy in there when it fills up. Cannot fault the Pho Ga.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

One of the best places for Asian cuisine in The Woodlands. We have only used it for lunch, very popular so you might not get a seat during the busiest lunch hour. Good size portions for a very reasonable price.
Go for it!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Because of the varied, but mostly positive reviews here on TripAdvisor, and a good looking menu (not to mention it was walking distance from my hotel), I decided to give Kim Son a try. When I arrived at 6:30, there was no hostess. A busboy fetched her and I asked for a table for one. She asked if I would sit in the bar area, and I replied that I would rather be seated in the dining room - where all of one other party was seated. She seemed miffed by this .... I guess dining does not occur at 6:30.

Once seated however, she noticed my tablet and asked if I wanted the wireless code - what an nice and unexpected gesture.

I ordered the Vietnamese rolls, Vietnamese wonton soup and a Vermicelli bowl.

The Vietnamese rolls were ... OK - truly nothing to write home about (or I suppose even to write here about). The rolls are Nit Noi (about 4 miles into the Woodlands) are far better and made with cabage and not vermicelli. These were bland and uneventful, while those at Nit Noi are flavorful and tasty.

However, the Vietnamese wonton soup was simply superb. An interesting mixture of unextected but tasty flavors and textures. An excellent choice.

The V-bowl was confusing. I have had many similar dishes in other Vietanmese restaurants. Usually the meat and noodles are served piping hot, surrounded by room temperature or cooled vegetables. In this case, evertyhing was at or slightly above room temperature. But this seemed to have been purposefully done, if unusual from the norm. The lemon-grass chicken had a strange taste and aftertaste. Again however, I could not determine if this bad cooking or purposeful flavoring of which I wasn't enamoured.

Not completely satisfied, I decided to order desert. "We're changing our desert menu and have only a limited selection, but I'll bring them out to show you." There was a cheesecake, a chocolate tart and a creme brulee. I decided to try the brulee.

Again, confusion. The brulee has the required seared sugar top but it was at room temperature, so it had not been fresly seared. The brulee itself was slightly cold as though it had been sitting out of the refrigerator for 15 minutes, and the blueberries on top were just this side of frozen. However, the brulee itself was delicious. To confuse matters more, it was served with a fork. Try to eat a mousse with a fork, doable but wasteful.

Overall, I think if you order just the right thing, on just the right day, you probably will have an excellent experience. However, Kim Son is too inconsistent to entice anyone but a person sure of his luck, and willing to risk it.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Kim Son always has very good food and great service, and now they deliver and make it really easy. Their site has the entire menu set up like most sites for ordering. They show you the time it will be delivered or you can schedule it. And it actually came on time.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

This restaurant has a prime location being directly beside The Woodlands Marriott & Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion however it is quickly becoming sub par. This was our 5th & last visit. We dropped in for lunch today & being their 1year anniversary we expected to see effort & celebration however that was not our experience. Service was definitely lacking & they seemed under staffed. We were greeted at the door and told that the busboy was running behind & there was only 1 clean table by the door. We heard this line from the hostess our entire meal and the tables near us were never cleaned. Our waitress did not go out of her way for us and we sat for 15min when our meal was finished before she noticed us. The food is average now but it was once delicious & fresh. Very disappointing & we will no longer recommend to friends. Also when there is an event at the Pavillion they charge for parking. The $5 will be taken off your bill of $20 or more.