“the restaurant is very bad”
Review of Americas - CLOSED

Americas
Cuisines: Latin, South American
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Robbins/Timberloch
The Woodlands, Texas
“the restaurant is very bad”
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I had a very bad experience today when i went there for dinner with some friends, the food menu is not clear enough, the food has been served cold, the staff didn't respect us because we didn't ask for drinks, we asked the waiter to split the check but she came back with one receipt, she asked us to manage together, then she came back to us asking us to manage to split the tip as well, when i told her that its her mistake not to listen to us whether we asked to split it or not she replied back in a very nasty way.

1 Thank Frankgale

• Korean first
The Woodlands, Texas
“fantastic sunday brunch”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I went on july 4th. We haven't been to the Woodlands location before this. I read other reviews after the brunch and was sorry to read some negatives. Maybe brunch is a better time to go there. The decor is safisticated and stylish - very elegant. The service was on the spot. The food was excellent. I really can't write any cons. This wasn't even one of their "special" brunches (i.e. Mother's Day). We decided to go when I received an e-mail. Our family is all out of town, so we opted out of the big fourth of july barbeque thing. And we are so glad that we did.

2 Thank likesgooddining
Houston, Texas
“I probably wouldn't go again”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The staff was very friendly upon arrival. We were taken to our table immediately, no wait. The table we were shown was not a good table to sit at, we had to do some maneuvering to get in the seat by the wall, changing the position of the table a few times before just deciding that was not a place anyone needed to sit, it was a 4 top and there were only 3 of us so we just moved that person to the aisle. The server promptly brought us water and took drink orders. The drinks were very good.

When our server took the order, he did not seem to know the menu at all, having to read each of our menus before writing down what we wanted. He wouldn't have let us order wine if one of us hadn't grabbed him. The staff brought us a free empanada to start which was ground beef, we all thought for a Latin restaurant, they were very bland but it did have a spicy mustard sauce that made it a little less boring. We did have some fried plaintains in place of bread or chips served with 2 sauces. I thought they might be spicy but the green sauce reminded me of basil pesto, disappointing.

When the server brought the wine, I would have thought he'd never opened a bottle before tonight. He was shaking and having many problems with it but once it was finally served, the pinot grigio we selected was nice.

When salads arrived, I was disappointed with my caesar. It was like a head of romaine wrapped in a fried plantain at the base. It mentioned Tijuana in the description but to me, it was a very plain caesar, which I didn't realize was Latin. My husband had the arugula salad which he very much enjoyed. it contained a cheese along with candied pecans.

For dinner, I had the Diver scallops served on shredded beef with fried plaintains. The scallops were perfectly cooked and flavored. The beef was sort of bland, and plantains...they just don't have any flavor anyway. My husband had the seared ahi tuna which we later called the Tower of Tuna. It had an odd presentation where it was stacked up, it reminded me of that Pepsi commercial where they bring out the tree of shrimp. Anyhow, he says he very much enjoyed the dish even though the presentation was lacking. My friend ordered the beef and he seemed to enjoy it.

For dessert, we all shared a tequila bread pudding. The server brought it out dropped it and ran. Leaving us no plates or silverware. He came back about 5 minutes later with some teaspoons. When I asked about getting some dessert plates, he suggested we just use our dirty bread plates so he didn't have to make another trip, so grudgingly, we did. The bread pudding was very disappointing, it was very dry, probably the single worst bread pudding I have every eaten in my life, and I have had a lot of them.

Overall, this was a nice restaurant, great decor but I think they need to work on their service and presentation a bit. I wouldn't recommend this place if you were trying to impress the person you were taking. There are many other good places for that in the area. I think we just had particularly bad luck with the server that night. Overall he was nice but he had no idea what he was doing.

Houston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food is great but be ready to wait”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Upstairs bar and downstairs dining is attractive in design. We were promptly seared when we arrived but we sat at our table for 30 minutes before the waitress came over, despite flagging and asking numerous waitstaff to find the server. Waitress helped us select a bottle of wine then returned to tell us they didn't gave that one. She offered a similar varietal for the same price which was nice but marked quite a bit higher than the original bottle when the check arrived. Food was very nice and we enjoyed after dinner drinks on the outdoor patio near the water.

1 Thank Ornic13
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Foodies should think twice”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Pros: lush creative, groovy decor, excellent service, fantastic and whimsical presentation.

The Cons: We ordered a number of appetizers, entrees and sides. Overall food quality ranged from very good to inedible with most dishes only mediocre...but with GREAT presentation. We dined on a Saturday night and we assumed the "A" team was working. That said, I suspect the menu was beyond some of the kitchen staff.

If decor and fun presentation are most important, then, is a fun place to eat. If you want constantly good food, then it is not.