“A taste of South America in The Woodlands” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas - CLOSED

Americas
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Robbins/Timberloch
Austin, Texas
“A taste of South America in The Woodlands”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

This upscale joint is a copy of the original one down off westheimer that has pleased Houstonians long before spanish cusine became cool. The food is the same and just as good; the fried plantain chips, the high end steaks and meat. The appetizers are also really good and you can do a tapas thing if you arent in the mood for a full meal. I recommend the taquito tray. And their tres leches is the gold standard. The wine list is also excellent if slightly pricey. The room itself is very chic, evoking places in New York or Vegas. Great place for a nice night out and a change of pace.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Houston, Texas
“Sunday Brunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Tried the Sunday Brunch and we were the first people to be seated at 10:30 am.
You would have thought that the food would have been hot and fresh. Well, it was actually wasn't. It wasn't even lukewarm. I didn't have the fresh made omelets or crapes, so I cannot comment on them.I did try the beef that the hostess carved off for me. It must have been cooked the night before, because it was cooked medium, but was also cold.
Strange, very strange

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Austin, TX
“Welcomed Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Though we had never been to this location, and had not been in a long time, we were not disappointed. We started with a selection of empanadas which were delicious. They also offered bison served in the churrosco style which half of our table had and it was fabulous as well. We were with older family members who are not too adventurous in their cuisine. After convincing one to let us order for her (the short rib) she was very happy and loved it. I am not a fan of Tres Leches, but we ordered one for the table and I have to say it was very good and not too sweet as many are.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great Atmosphere, location and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

One of my lunch staples. Prices aren't bad, food is excellent, and the tres leches is the best i've had.

Visited December 2012
New Caney, Texas
“Very good overall experience once again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I took her parents to Americas on Friday night. This was our second visit and their first. Service was excellent, everyone raved about the food except for me.

I had the Cubana Soup and Pork Relleno and both were just OK, would not order either again. The soup is served in a sourdough bread boule and while the taste and texture of that is very good it was 90% bread and I really wanted more soup. I would have been happier with a bowl of the soup and some sourdough bread on the side. The pork was kind of bland to my taste but the accompanying crab meat and grilled shrimp were very tasty. My wife had the Crab & Shrimp Ceviche and absolutely loved it. She wants to make that at home now. She also had the Pargo Americas (corn crusted snapper with achiote grilled shrimp and citrus scented crema fresca) and that was excellent as well.

Her parents both had a Caesar Salad which they enjoyed. He had the Salmon Caliente and was very pleased with the texture and moistness of the salmon. She had one of the specials which was a Chilean sea bass based entre. There was a mixup in her order where they brought initially brought her the Arroz Paella (which looked fantastic by the way) but she sent it back as she really wanted the sea bass. It came with huge scallops that were very tender and flavorful, a small serving of crab meat and some type of garlic mashed potatoes I believe. She said it was worth the wait and she would wait again for that meal if need be.

As I mentioned the service was excellent but we had a minor frustration with the way the ice tea service. Three of us ordered iced tea and while they were very prompt in provided refills unsolicited, they give you a new glass of tea each time and they ran out of glasses about half way through the meal. Now there was a very large party (several dozen) dining that may have made a run on the tea glasses. It took a few minutes for the waiter to start serving us by refilling the glass at the table directly from a pitcher instead of leaving with our empty or partially empty glasses and bringing back a new one. It was not a big deal but something that could be handled in a better way IMO.

• Visited October 2012