“Welcomed Return”

Cross street: Lake Robbins/Timberloch
Austin, TX
“Welcomed Return”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Though we had never been to this location, and had not been in a long time, we were not disappointed. We started with a selection of empanadas which were delicious. They also offered bison served in the churrosco style which half of our table had and it was fabulous as well. We were with older family members who are not too adventurous in their cuisine. After convincing one to let us order for her (the short rib) she was very happy and loved it. I am not a fan of Tres Leches, but we ordered one for the table and I have to say it was very good and not too sweet as many are.

• Visited December 2012

• Korean first
“Great Atmosphere, location and food”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

One of my lunch staples. Prices aren't bad, food is excellent, and the tres leches is the best i've had.

Visited December 2012
New Caney, Texas
“Very good overall experience once again.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I took her parents to Americas on Friday night. This was our second visit and their first. Service was excellent, everyone raved about the food except for me.

I had the Cubana Soup and Pork Relleno and both were just OK, would not order either again. The soup is served in a sourdough bread boule and while the taste and texture of that is very good it was 90% bread and I really wanted more soup. I would have been happier with a bowl of the soup and some sourdough bread on the side. The pork was kind of bland to my taste but the accompanying crab meat and grilled shrimp were very tasty. My wife had the Crab & Shrimp Ceviche and absolutely loved it. She wants to make that at home now. She also had the Pargo Americas (corn crusted snapper with achiote grilled shrimp and citrus scented crema fresca) and that was excellent as well.

Her parents both had a Caesar Salad which they enjoyed. He had the Salmon Caliente and was very pleased with the texture and moistness of the salmon. She had one of the specials which was a Chilean sea bass based entre. There was a mixup in her order where they brought initially brought her the Arroz Paella (which looked fantastic by the way) but she sent it back as she really wanted the sea bass. It came with huge scallops that were very tender and flavorful, a small serving of crab meat and some type of garlic mashed potatoes I believe. She said it was worth the wait and she would wait again for that meal if need be.

As I mentioned the service was excellent but we had a minor frustration with the way the ice tea service. Three of us ordered iced tea and while they were very prompt in provided refills unsolicited, they give you a new glass of tea each time and they ran out of glasses about half way through the meal. Now there was a very large party (several dozen) dining that may have made a run on the tea glasses. It took a few minutes for the waiter to start serving us by refilling the glass at the table directly from a pitcher instead of leaving with our empty or partially empty glasses and bringing back a new one. It was not a big deal but something that could be handled in a better way IMO.

• Visited October 2012
The Woodlands, Texas
“Restaurant Weeks Menu Didn't Disappoint”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I love America's, and, although we have our favorite dishes, we decided to take advantage of the Houston Restaurant Weeks specials... what a fantastic meal.

My husband started with the lobster bisque, and he said that it had an interesting, latin-american twist, with hints of smokiness and fresh corn. I started with the ceviche and LOVED it, but I've always loved their ceviche. We both had the meat platters, and every single item was perfectly prepared, offering its own unique flavors. We were too full to finish our desserts, so we took them home.

The decor here is stunning. We like that it's dark and lends to a very upscale, romantic atmosphere. The service was gracious, as well, and as a resident of The Woodlands, I'm simply amazed that this restaurant isn't ranked higher.

• Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Not the worst, but in this city, you can do much better”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This place looks so cool walking in... you go downstairs to be seated.

The food compared to other equal level restaurants is a little more expensive. This place seems to want to be at a Vic & Anthony's level, but isn't close to be honest.

The Churrasco has a nice flavor and they cooked the meat to a true medium, not overdone like a few places have done. The lobster bisque is too chunky... which is nice that they are generous on the meat, but it needs to be shredded a bit. Decent chocolate desserts.

Service was poor, unfortunately. They couldn't figure out who had our table, and it took a manager 15 minutes into us sitting down to realize nobody had come over. You would think at this point they would get it right, but every single course of the meal took longer than usual to come out, especially the steaks. Also, the waiter never apologized or made much of an effort until we finished our entree. Then, he started to step up his game. It was a little late, but I appreciate the late effort.

We won't be back. Too expensive for the quality and clearly the service is hit or miss.

• Visited August 2012