“Good value option”

Hampton Inn Houston-The Woodlands
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in The Woodlands
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I was in The Woodlands for a trade show in March 2011. The host hotel for the show was too high for my tiny travel budget and I selected the Hampton Inn Houston - The Woodlands as a lower-priced alternative.

The hotel has exterior corridors and there is no elevator, a fact stated very plainly on their website. The lobby is very nice and looks newly renovated. The police station is somewhat next door so there is that added safety benefit. The check-in process was quick and friendly. I was given a room on the second floor at my request because ground-floor rooms make me nervous when travelling solo. I was given a room right at the top of the stairs, great when hauling up the suitcase but bad for noise.

The room reminded me of an old economy lodge type set-up. The queen sized bed was comfortable although the swampy air from outside never really was tamed by the AC, leaving it feeling a bit damp in the room. It was pretty dark in the room with curtain drawn for privacy and the lights had the energy-efficient but unflattering halogen bulbs. The room was clean but it just felt a bit off. I have stayed at many Hampton Inns and this might have been one of my least favorites. The road noise, the noise from the parking lot and the exterior hallway/stairs noise might have had something to do with my crabbiness. But, for the area, the price was very reasonable and it was a short drive to the heart of The Woodlands.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 7, 2011

We have stayed at this reasonably priced establishment several times the past three years. Although the rooms open to the outside and there is no elevator, the staff has always accommodated us with a ground floor room. The rooms are clean. Free internet is available both in the room and the business center. The breakfast area is clean. A Hampton Inn style breakfast is available.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2011

This remodeled motel, now a Hampton Inn, is just fine. Very comfortable room, great bed, great breakfast. I prefer inside hallways, but there was no problem with the outside entrances. Quiet, clean, and all one needs for a business trip.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I'm shocked this is a Hilton property. The only positive thing I can say is that the bed was comfortable. The motel itself (and lets be clear, it is a motel not a hotel) is horrible. The doors open to the outside. You can hear the cars on I-45 ALL NIGHT LONG. There is no way to drown the noise out. I can hear the guy in the room next to me clear his throat. I can hear his TV. I can hear people outside my room talking in a normal tone and it sounds like they are right here in my room with me.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I like to stay at the Hampton Inn for the security of inside doors. This facility is like any La Quinta you'll ever stay in.....don't recommend this one.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2008

In all honesty, I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews of this property. I stayed here overnight with a tour group in October 2006 and had a great experience. At the time it seemed like they had just finished a renovation. Coming from Minnesota, I was surprised to find exterior corridors, but I certainly didn't feel unsafe. The room, while a bit small, was clean and extremely tastefully decorated. The Hampton bed was incredible. The bathroom was also well-appointed. The service seemed good, and the check-in person let me into the business center even though it was technically closed. Also, the breakfast was well up to the usual Hampton Inn standards. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 19, 2008

If you need to stay in the area, stay at a different hotel. Unwelcome guests (flys, spiders....) combined with the fact that this is a motel (not a hotel) and NO redeeming qualities are to be found. For example, they advertise a hot tub, but it was roped off and out of service. In all fairness, I do have to say that I liked the fact that you could get the room cold enough to "hang meat", but aside from that, you can find comparable quality at a much more affordable motel chain! I, like others, stayed at this Hampton out of my loyalty to the Hilton chain. In fact, I've stayed at enough Hilton hotels (and Marriott hotels) to achieve the highest level at both. When I had to extend my stay due to business reasons, the staff seemed "put out". I mentioned that I was a Diamond member and her response was, "there's a whole lot of Diamond members out there". If that's the case, I have to wonder why the Tapatio Resort in Phoenix put me in a Presidential suite two days earlier for the same price that I paid to stay at this motel disguising itself as a hotel! If you're reading this, you probably wonder why I stayed instead of moving to a different hotel....although a difficult decision, the deciding factor was my hectic work schedule and the inconvenience of coordinating a move to a different hotel when my focus needed to be elsewhere. For a hundred plus bucks per night, one can do much better! I'm not going for the refund....I'll just re-direct my future spending dollars (which are very significant) to the Marriott chain

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)