WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in The Woodlands
Texas
“Cozy and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

This is a cozy and comfortable Residence Inn. It is a little older but fine. The room was very clean and spacious. The indoor pool and hot tub were nice, although the pool was too cold. My daughter and her friend also enjoyed the small tennis and basketball court. The complimentary hot breakfast was great, plenty to choose from. The large flatscreen TV in the eating area was nice. The staff members were pleasant and helpful. The location is convenient to the mall and shops at Market Street. The only negative I encountered was the computer in the lobby needs to be replaced. The screen is tiny and the computer was extremely slow and kept having problems. Overall, this is a nice, quiet hotel that we would stay at again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
Euless, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

I Traveled to Houston on Business and brought my family with me. The Rooms at the Residence Inn are a great place for a family, but not this hotel. Located in the heart of the busy Woodlands, TX area, it's in a great location and literally 2 streets down the way on Six Pines, another Residence Inn exists. I have stayed at both and now I know, why most of the business goes to the one on Six Pines.

This hotel was the 1st Residence Inn in the Woodlands, and because of the influx of business, another Residence Inn was built. This hotel is priced about $30.00 lower than its competitor, but for $130.00 a night, it was NOT worth it.

The entire facility really needs to be renovated. The main lobby area is ok, the outside needs some landscaping. The rooms are old and are in need of minor repairs. Things are rusty, housekeeping is lazy and does not dust. Toilets drip and fans squeal.

The entire staff comes across as not caring, and they operate under a reactive environment, this is the managements fault.

The Residence Inn is known for their free breakfasts and dinners. Their breakfasts are ok, but their dinners are horribly managed. They claim that dinner is served from 6pm to 7:30pm but the main course runs out within 10-15 minutes and others are left eating salad and possibly the side dish. I recall other Residence Inn serving cans of soda and wine, this hotel serves cans of Lite Beer and and watered down lemonade and Koolaide.

Just the other night, 2 policemen entered the hotel and went up to a room. Being a cops kid, whenever I see a police officer, it means trouble, especially in Houston. I am not sure what happened, but that concerned me.

Most of the other travelers around me were families, and very little business travelers and that's because they were all at the Residence Inn on Six Pines.

If I were going to do this trip again with familly, I would try to book a room, at Residence Inn at Six Pines.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank GaryKlimeck
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

First off, if you have never stayed at a residence inn, then this is a great hotel.

If you have, then you know the rooms are tiny, the staff is unfriendly, the food is fare.

The staff was completely useless. Hotels have high turn over rate, but when you talk to the most vetern employee of the facility and she had only been working there 5 months, there is something not right.

Inconsistant employee's and scary old woman working night audit makes for a "awesome" time.

There were 2 fire alarms that went off when I was there. I had my 6 week old baby there with me at the time. This made for an awesome time. No explanation from staff. It was sweltering hot. (not their fault, but does not make for fun times)

Worst residence inn Ive ever stayed in.

The food was the highlight. The kitchen was always cramped... Most residence inn's have a LOT bigger kitchen area for food. The location is great though. Walked to the woodlands pavillion with the heat being the only issue.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank almghtybeanchild
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

I spent 2 nights here on business while in the Houston area and the biggest challenge I had coming from IAH airport was trying to determine how to get to the hotel...which is on Lake Front Circle. I kept driving in circles around the Woodlands Mall area and I-45. As it turns out it is just about a block West of I-45 and north of the mall, right next door to the Marriott Courtyard, but getting there isn't easy due to the confusing frontage road one-way street access and exit choices.

But, otherwise my visit was quite pleasant. The staff was quite friendly and on multiple occasions contacted me throughout the visit to see if everything was fine. The breakfast and evening buffets are a nice touch. I had absolutely no problem with the wireless internet in the room and it was free! My room (#128) was right next to the side entrance so I could park right next to the room and enter the building (with my room key only) which was quite convenient.

It's an easy walk across the street to a very large retail shopping center (Pinecroft Center) with many name-brand stores including a large Target and a number of restaurant and fast-food choices. The whole area of The Woodlands is set in a woodsy area that is extremely well planned including the mall and their Town Center area on Six Pines Drive.

The room was spacious with lots of storage space and full kitchen. For someone staying on an extended basis this would be a good choice. The bedroom area though is not separated from the living/kitchen area which would have been a nicer touch. The only slip was perhaps the fact that the bed was not made on the 2nd day but that may have something to do with this being a "residence-extended stay type" hotel. The towels were all changed out. The price though at $199 per night I thought was a bit steep compared to other hotels in the area. But, I had no real complaints and both the area and the hotel itself were extremely quiet.

• Liked — Quiet area near mall and many food choices
  • Disliked — A bit pricey for the area
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Austin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

This was the second Residence Inn I have stayed at (first one in Santa Fe), and I must say I was a little disappointed.

Our room was fairly small, by suite standards. But it was well-equipped, and we could have made a go of it if we had to stay there a while. It took me 30 minutes on the phone with tech support to use the wireless internet. There was a musty smell, but that went away after we opened the windows.

The pool was not great. It is indoors, in a room with low ceilings, so the chlorine smell is pretty strong. The pool and hot tub are clean enough. However, the towels were all gone. (The dirty towel bin was full, which was strange because it didn't look like anyone had swam there recently.)

The workout "room" (more like a closet) was disappointing. 3 cardio machines, including a treadmill, a bike that was too tall and didn't adjust, and one other (can't remember). A sit-up bench, and some teeny-tiny freeweights (10lb max). No cups for the water.

The breakfast buffet was fine. Sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, and the usual continental stuff. The make-your-own waffle is shaped like Texas.

Location is good. Near the freeway, but far enough that there's no noise. Right by the awesome Woodlands Mall. There's also a Target you can walk to across the street for supplies.

Staff was friendly enough, and they responded to my one maintenance issue right away.

• Liked — Close to mall.
  • Disliked — Pool/workout facility
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

We stayed here at this Residence Inn for 2 weeks when we first moved to The Woodlands... we stayed in a corner 1 bedroom suite - and absolutely loved it.

We paid $99 a night for the room, which also included free breakfast every morning... my only complaint was with the manager's evening reception... which I found lacking when compared to other Residence Inns.

But overall, it was an exciting time for us since we were moving to the area... and were impressed with how nice, clean, and modern the facility was. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Location, value
  • Disliked — Manager's reception... lacking in originality
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank prouddaddy75
Irving, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2007

We stopped here for 1 nt on our way back from the Gulf coast. We paid $99 + tax for a Friday night, which I consider great value. 4 nights earlier we had stayed in the area at a different hotel located nearby directly on I-45 (much more road noise), an older facility with external entrance to rooms. Not very impressive. By comparison, at the Residence Inn for the same price, we got a 1 BR suite with a kitchen, and in a beautiful wooded setting not swamped by hiway traffic noise. All rooms are accessed by an interior hallway that made my wife feel more safe and secure. Our room was conveniently located near an exit to the parking lot that made hauling luggage and other stuff from the car not too difficult.

The indoor heated pool pleased my young kids. The free breakfast was top-notch as free breakfasts go. The facility is well-maintained and very clean. Reception was knowledgable and helpful. Residence Inn by Mariott is now my brand of choice. Of course, it's all about the price: at $99, this hotel is above average/excellent. At $165 (the best available price 4 nts earlier when I tried to book), I'd have probably rated this same hotel average/good.

Stayed March 2007