“Afternoon sushi ”

Zen Restaurant
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Afternoon sushi ”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Decided to have a light lunch and ended up at Zen.

The selection was good and they worked with a custom roll that I like to order at other places.

The place was good but I was not crazy about it.

Some of the key sauces I like to have with my sushi like red oil chilli paste was missing.

It's an average sushi place with an above average price tag.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great place if you hate good service!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Ugh, this place keeps getting worse! I actually use to enjoy going to Zen when I lived in Austin ranch. But the poor service has really killed it for me. Many of the reviews I've read about Zen are so on point. The servers take an ETERNITY! I contribute this to fact that the place is very clickish and everyone knows everyone so the servers just hang around their favorite table socializing while everyone else starves and sobers up!
I will say the food is pretty good, if you can ever get someone to take your order! I liked going early on Sundays before the place got crazy with their horrific live music on the patio, please get some decent talent out there! The music is waaaay too loud, I could hear it across the street in my apartment with the balcony door shut and even then it sounded incredibly loud, when you're at he bar it's literally unbearable.
The weekends are the worst time to go here. During the day is fine, but I always steered clear of this place at night. It's so jammed you can FORGET about ever getting a drink. It's super crowded, there's no room to walk yet people still try to awkwardly dance. The placement of the band is terrible! I feel bad for them because you have to run right into them after you get carded at the door and you're on the way to the bar.
If you like a super crowded, pushy bar scene with horrible music then this is your place. But I always go to Centro right across the street. It's much nicer, larger, and you're actually able to hear the person you're talking to !! Mcswiggens is cool as well if you're looking for good food like Zen, it's actually better.

• Visited November 2012