“Hasn't changed in decades”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gus' Restaurant

Ranked #4 of 88 Restaurants in Texas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Houston, TX
“Hasn't changed in decades”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

We first ate at Gus' back in the 1970's, but until last weekend, we hadn't been back there in about 15 years. Stepping into the place, we felt like we were in a time warp since nothing had changed! The tables-- and everything-- are just the same as they were when we first started going there. Even the waitresses still wear mini-skirts! When is the last time you saw that at a restaurant?
The service was good and our waitress was perky and attentive. The food was over-priced, though. Steaks were not all that special. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing to go out of your way for. It was an enjoyable evening with no real complaints; but spending that kind of money, it should have been special. Next time we'd probably rather eat a steak at Texas Roadhouse next time.
Oh... the ladies room was fine- old, but clean.(update from a previous post)

Houston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food...horrible ladies room!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2007

FYI...the food at Gus' is awesome, however, they have the most disgusting ladies room I have ever seen! It is very similar to a road side gas station. I did share this with the owner and he just smiled like it was no big deal. I will go back for the food, but will make sure to use the ladies room elsewhere!

1 Thank outabouttown
Texas C9ity
“Food tastes good, but ........”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

The food tastes great and wait staff is very friendly however the owner is a real jerk. I thought the owner was just the manager and tried to let someone know that he was a real jerk, but found out that he actually owned the place. i witnessed the guy be extremely rude to a person that apparently had a takeout order that was wrong. After the person got the correct order, I saw him tear into a waitress in front of other patrons. At that point I knew that I would never go back to this place again. It's a shame though, cause the food was really good, but if this guy is going to treat the people that work for him the way that I witnessed, then "me", the customer most likely well eventually be treated the same or worse! If possible, avoid this place and go somewhere that you are treated decent!!

3 Thank jschaef70