“Family”

Iguana Rana's Cantina
Ranked #46 of 90 Restaurants in Texas City
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Best keep secret in Texas city, this place by far is the best mexican restaurant in Texas city. Great quality food and very good prices, friendly staff and attentive.. My server suggested the El pollo del mar and I watery glad he did. It was amazing, he suggested some spcy sauce made by the owner. And oh!! Boy it was the best spicy sauce ever, spicy but yet full of flavor, will defenely recommend this place to all my friends and family.

1  Thank Javier C

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visited the restaurant on August 16th and had only one complaint - the red hot sauce is terrible. It's thin, tasteless, like a plain can of tomatoes (but with more tomato juice than tomato) as another reviewer said. Not spicy in the least. I do hope they change that soon as we would probably become regulars if it were not for that. Since we like hot sauce on our food as well as on chips, it is enough to keep us away.
Aside from the awful hot sauce the food was great. The chips were fresh and warm and our entrees - Sofia's Plate, 2 orders of beef fajita nachos, and one fajita stuffed deep fried avocado - were excellent. Nothing was greasy, not even the chips.
The service was impeccable. We had a lot of requests and the waittress went out of her way to be sure we had everything we needed.
If they do something about the hot sauce, and turn down the music which made it difficult to talk at times, this could be a really good restaurant.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Free cinnamon-vanilla ice cream, friendly efficient wait staff, colorful and warm family atmosphere, delicious food. "Nuff said!

1  Thank TimberCreek4
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The food was great! I had the "Sofia's Plate". They have the best tamales around! The staff was friendly, and the manager visited my table and was very friendly! The food was fairly priced based on the quanity. The atmosphere was good, but I do believe it could use some remodeling in the future!

1  Thank Kyle M
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I don't like to write negative reviews and will usually overlook minor flaws especially in a place that has recently opened. This establishment had previously been a Casa Ole and had closed due to lack of business. I had high hopes that Iguana Rana's would offer some good food.
I enjoy Tex-Mex cuisine and find that it is difficult to really do a poor job if a minimum of attention is given to the food preparation. Iguana Rana's failed on many points, so below are my remarks.
We visited this past Saturday for lunch and were met at the door by a pleasant young lady named Maria, who seated us and gave us menus. This was the high point of the meal.
As you'd expect we were served chips and salsa immediately. The red salsa tasted like a can of tomatoes had been opened and a bit of salt and some onions added. Some of the worst salsa I have ever tried. The green was a bit better but no better than you can buy in a jar at the supermarket. The chips were greasy and tasteless.
Being a Saturday the lunch menu was not offered and the prices on the regular menu were at the top of what you'd expect in an establishment of this sort. I ordered the Sofi's Platter, that consisted of two cheese enchiladas, rice, charro beans, a crispy taco, a crispy shell with melted cheese, and a small serving of guacamole. Rather than the platters being served in stages it was all brought at the same time. The plate that was supposed to be served hot (enchiladas, rice, and beans) were at best lukewarm and the enchiladas had a rubbery texture. The taco was a greasy shell with a very small amount of ground beef, some lettuce, and very little cheese. All in all the meal was tasteless with the result that very little of it was eaten. The three other people eating with me all had similar complaints about the food being cold and tasteless. When I mentioned to the waitress that the food was not hot she just shrugged her shoulders and walked away.
When the bill was presented it should have been obvious to the server that little of our food had been eaten, but no inquiry was made as to whether we had enjoyed the food. Seemed the server already knew the answer so just didn't ask.
The prices on the menu were not lower end and for the price charged I felt you had the right to expect decent quality food. Hopefully we were there on an "off" day, but don't think I'll go back to find out. I realize that food taste and quality are very subjective, but with this restaurant missing on so many points I felt it was a fair review.