“If Alfie is British, he needs a refresher course”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I'll preface all of this by stating that I am British and have not long arrived in Houston, so I know my Fish & Chips, it's a big British comfort food i've been enjoying since my youth.

We ordered two fish and chips, what came was chips (fries) obviously bought in and not freshly cut on the premises like all self-respecting fish and chip places do in the UK. No better than fries from Walmart's freezer. The fish batter was greasy and extremely poor, made worse by the fact that they had scooped up the batter "crackling" i.e. the fried, oily bits of batter that remain in the frier, and dumped it on top of the fish. Batter in the UK at the good fish and chip places is crisp, tasty and never oily, this was not.

Also served with it was deep fried bread. Deep fried bread? I don't know where "Alfie" is from but it's been a long time since he's been anywhere near a fish and chip shop in England. I mean, it's really not hard... freshly cut some potatoes, make some beer batter to a British recipe you can find online to dip the fish in and fry them both. Not hard you'd think.

But I can honestly state without hesitation that that was the worst fish and chips i've ever had and by some considerable margin, so much so, we walked out having hardly touched the food. I wasn't aware fish and chips could be mucked up quite so badly. I'd thoroughly recommend staying away.

1  Thank BritishGuy79

Reviewed December 23, 2008

What's so difficult about frying fish? Had wanted to visit this place for a very long time and we were sorely dissapointed. The place was old and run-down and we should have followed our first instinct and walked out the door!