“Swimming in oil!”

Ranked #54 of 90 Restaurants in Texas City
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I certainly have had better seafood. I ordered the Oysters Ponchartrain which was advertised as blackened oysters and shrimp in a sauce, served with rice. The oysters tasted pretty good but I encountered some grit. The shrimp were very fresh. The sauce was horrible, slightly spicy which I like but it was mostly oil, butter or margarine or a combo of all the above. Literally it looked like the food was boiled in oil! Several toast points on the side of the dish were for sopping up the oil I guess. A dish of speedee-dry would have been more appropriate. The rice was somewhat flavorful but obviously had been sitting around as some of the pieces were hard.

The salad that preceded my meal was straight out of a plastic bag. If you have ever purchased pre-made salads in a bag they have a very distinctive taste. I recognized it.

The restaurant is rustic, very rustic. Very popular with the locals I understand but this is a one time visit for me.

1  Thank Ron L
There are newer reviews for Reef Seafood House

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Good seafood family place. Local business stay family oriented. Looking for a small town place this is where to go. I mean they have the Lions club meeting here that's home town.

1  Thank Fire_Noah
Reviewed June 18, 2012

very good and better prices than on the island of Galveston

1  Thank dtrox
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Love the variety of seafood choices The Reef Seafood House has available. Very reasonably priced. You even have complimentary ice cream afterwards.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I are always looking for local places to eat and stumbled upon the Reef. Great food, generous portions and very casual.

1  Thank Mommyazn