“Always good BBQ”

Smallish place, friendly . Real smoked BBQ done on location

• Visited February 2012

Bogalusa, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst barbeque I have ever had. The lingering smell on my fingers disgusted me.”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Where do I begin? I have eaten barbeque across the land, but I've never really had "Texas-style" barbeque, so my husband and I decided to try this place. With a name like Grand Prize, I figured it would mean something. Well it must have been the only restaurant in the competition because I cannot imagine any barbeque being worse than this.

I had the pork ribs and chicken, and it had a really "off" flavor. The sauce was absolutely horrible! There was really no flavor to it at all. Not sweet. Not vinegary. Not spicy. Just tasted like pan drippings or something. Also the meat tasted like it was boiled in beef stock before being thrown on a smoker for a few minutes. I am normally not a picky person, but I honestly couldn't eat the rest of the ribs. The chicken was only slightly better.

The only redeeming quality was the bread that was served with the meal. This combined with the baked potato was enough to get the taste out of my mouth until I could get an Icee down the road.

I sure hope that this doesn't represent Texas barbeque. I'm going to try another restaurant in another town just to make sure. If it is, then I'll just stick with Mexican food until I get back home where one can find good barbeque at a truck stop!

Galveston, Texas
“The Sauce Ruins This Place”
Reviewed December 21, 2009

For a BBQ place to be good they have to have two things -- lean brisket and good/great tasting sauce. On the sauce side of things this place fails miserably. The brisket was the leanest I have seen in awhile and you could even taste the smoke flavor as long as you didn't have sauce on it. The sauce was between bland and sweet. I knew I was in trouble when I saw the sauce on the brisket. It was a very brownish color and it ended up tasting like it looked. I have heard from others that the sauce ruins this place but I had to find out for myself. The potato salad is mayo based. I myself prefer a mustard based but I do understand that some like mayo based potato salad so I won't grade them down too severly for that. I was in at the 11am hour where there is a very quick turnover of customers due to most of them being workers. Yet, for the 30 minutes I was there, not one table was cleared and cleaned leaving the customers coming in at 11:30am to clear the tables themselves (by simply throwing all of the plates and trays to another table).

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“average”
Reviewed February 2, 2009

average

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good Barbeque and Go-withs”
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Last night Grand Prize catered an event for our group of seniors. The food and service was great. We had sliced barbeque, sausage and barbequed chicken. It was all good. Then we had potato salad-(super especially with jalapenos), slaw, pinto beans, rice, bread, and apple cobbler for dessert. The plates were generously furnished. Also they provided, coffee, tea and lemonade. The proprietor was easy to work with and diligent in his efforts to please. We like to use them every July for our Independence Day event.