“Great Value”

Candlewood Suites Texas City
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Texas City
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great value compared to nearby properties. The property is somewhat hard to find if you are not familiar with the area. We called the front desk from nearby, and Carolyn directed us straight to the hotel! Thanks! Do not rely on GPS (we had GPS and two IPhones with maps and google maps). The hotel is located on the north-bound feeder street (Hwy 146), just north of 1764(Palmer Rd.). We had a really nice, 2 nite stay with our mini Schnauzer. Very nice Queen studio suite on the 3d floor with very comfortable bed. We didn't use the cupboard much but we were very thankful for the fresh, complimentary coffee that they kept brewed in the cupboard all day long (even very early in the morning)! We were thankful for the kitchen with all the utensils for cooking, the fridge, microwave, stovetop and everything we needed. The staff and management were very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Lots of great eating places and shoppping nearby
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 650savag
There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Texas City

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Maybe the perfect room? Everything looks new, kitchenette w/granite, full-size refrigerator, big microwave. Nice recliner, big flat screen TV with lots of TV stations. Bath is granite with nice shower head, curved shower rod, plush towels. Had a helpful conversation with Manager when making reservations, he called me back to say one night I wanted was now available. Easy check in, got the room I wanted. Everything very nicely kept up. Well lighted parking lot.

Texas City is less than 15 miles from Galveston. Texas City has a nice series of parks on the Gulf at the Dike. I biked there most days, good place to watch the ships coming into and out of the port.

The only problem, WIFI is bad, one of those types that gets slow when there is lots of usage. Does it make sense for a hotel to have this type of service in a hotel, to now provide enough band width for having full occupancy with most people online? In an extended-stay type of hotel that wants to get businesspeople? I was advised to connect to wired, which I did. I have my own router so I set up my own network. Even that one has issues, including it just going down at times. Owner seems to think he has fixed the problem, but he needs a better Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2013

First night stay was the most uncomfortable I've experienced in a hotel stay. Although our room was supposed to be non-smoking, the smell proved otherwise. Blame this to the room being on the 1st floor next next to the outside smoking area. Unfortunately, the hotel was booked solid and no other rooms were available. Fortunately, Ik was very accommodating and relocated us the next day to a 3rd floor room.

Overall, the rest of the staff was not the most organized or accommodating. They lacked an adequate supply of linens and the night shift had to wait on the morning shift to accomplish simple requests. Apart from this, the hotel was reasonably priced, had clean rooms, and was conveniently located minutes away from the city center.

Room Tip: Request a room in the upper levels
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear tuffnail,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a travel nurse so I am on the go alot. When I checked into this hotel they wanted to charge my credit card $100 for incidentals. I have NEVER been charged for incidentals. Other hotels just keep your card number on file and do not charge your card. When I asked what the incidentals were I was told that if I were to take something from the food pantry. I pointed out that they charge $5 for a pint of ice cream and I could drive across the street to Kroger and get it for less than $2. He then stated that is was for long distance calls. I pointed out to him that I had a cell phone that worked nation wide. He then stated that it would be for anything of the hotels property that I took. I was blown away by this comment. I have stayed in Candlewood Suites before and have NEVER experienced such treatment. I checked in only because I did not have time to find another hotel because I was working 12 hour shifts. When I made a complaint to the corporate office about the way that I was talked to, I was kicked out of the hotel!!!! The owner stated that I should be grateful to be able to stay there. Grateful? I am paying to stay there, they are not giving me anything. The owner also wanted free access to my room. He wanted to come in when ever he pleased. He even told my company that he would go in at 12 am if he wanted to with out any warning and that he didn't even have to knock on the door that he could just walk in. It was pointed out that that was an invasion of privacy and he stated that it was his hotel and that he could do anything that he wanted to. I am a private person and do not like having people in my room alot. I clean my room every day, not every week. I have pets and you cannot tell that there are in there unless they bark. Every hotel that I have stayed in for any extended length have loved having me because I do not cause extra work and am very friendly. I am dissappointed that these people are allowed to own a franchise of Candlewood due to the fact that they are giving it a bad name. Several of the other guests experienced the same issues but I was the only one to complain to corporate. When I talked to corporate this morning I was told that this hotel had the right to refuse service to anyone. Refuse service because I complained that the staff implied that I was a thief? Really? I thought that was what Customer Relations was for. I am so glad that I did an inventory of all the items in the room and of the damages that I found and took pictures as well. I sent all of this to my company to be kept on file in case of any issues.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear ghostdance1965,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these to our management team to be reviewed.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

Joel B

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in a second floor room back-side, while visiting nearby family for the Christmas holidays.It was a good experience.

It's located on a highway just north of Texas City going toward Kemah-Seabrook. It stands alone in an open area adjacent to much vacant land and a few scattered houses. Front-side view is highway, back-side view is pasture and a few houses. Seemed safe enough area, but there's no sidewalks or any place of business (restaurants, etc) to walk to close by, although there are restaurants and fast food within about a one mile drive.

Parking area is clean and well-lighted, with adequate parking spaces. The area seemed to be a safe area. Lobby is clean and attractive. Front desk staff were courteous, professional, yet not warm... kinda cold. After the check-in was complete, the desk person made a practiced long speech about what to expect regarding the facilities. I'll shorten it here to the important crux of it... "No breakfast; no housekeeping except weekly". We knew that anyway, since it's standard for Candlewood Suites. You can exchange your towels and bed linen for clean any time by taking them down to the office.

One elevator for three floors, clean and adequate speed. Hallways are clean, maintained. The 82-room building is non-smoking. LOVE THAT!

The room was a slightly larger than usual queen studio suite with full kitchen, a small but adequate work/dining area, lounge and dining chairs. Decor somewhat plain, but stylish and attractive, and not worn or dated. Queen bed with comfortable mattress, washable comforter. Carpet was clean. Adequate lighting. Didn't hear much noise or activity from outside the room, but being Christmas the hotel was largely vacant. Large screen HDTV, but no HD service.

The bathroom was roomy and clean, no mold in the shower, fluffy towels, the vanity surface area was smallish for two person's travel junk.. Ceiling exhaust fan. Everything worked.

The marble countertop kitchen was clean and well stocked with cookware and dishware, a refrigerator, electric stove top, microwave, sink/disposal, and coffeemaker. Everything worked.

The hotel has an onsite free laundry (you buy soap), a workout facility, and a pool which we didn't visit.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the night before leaving on a cruise out of Galveston. We selected this hotel because it was cheaper than those in Galveston, and is only about 15 miles from the cruise terminal. The room was large, clean and had a kitchenette. The TV channels were a little hard to figure out, but other than that no issues with the room. My only complaint would be that there is no continental breakfast included. You had to spend about $10 per couple to get something most places give you for free. FYI, there are several places to get breakfast within a few blocks of the hotel. Overall, a good value for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was the absolute WORST experience of my whole lifetime of hotel stays. I stayed there because it was close to my home while having my home renovated. I was there for 10 days. and NO, there is not regular cleaning service for the rooms. My bathroom was filthy upon arrival. I had to call someone in to clean it..

Even though they were expecting me... the check in was poor, and they had not bothered to register me until I got there. ... and chose to admit another guest (whom they had pre-registered) ahead of me, though I had arrived BEFORE them.

They also had a limited number of carrying carts ... I am disabled and needed one, and when I asked for one, there was none available. I was told to wait for the cart. After waiting a while, NO ONE offered to help me get my bags up to the 6th floor! I had to carry my belongings up with several trips up the elevator. I was exhausted and it was very late before i finally got all my belongings to the room. I did not see a baggage cart until the next day. They were supposed to have three, ..but I only saw ONE baggage cart, then a second one a few days later, which the hotel employee was using to place smelly garbage on, to carry out to the garbage dumps. The third cart was obviously hidden...possibly in someones room who did not want to place their baggage on a baggage cart that was used to carry garbage! (don't they have specific carts to carry waste?)

I had to take my own bedding down (during the day) to clean it and my towels to the front desk to ask for clean towels. ... and when I needed extra soap, shampoo .. I was told I could PURCHASE it from their store!!!! shame shame, a 10 day stay and NO amenities!

At one point (after seeing the garbage placed on the baggage cart) .... I brought one up to my room, and used it for the food and water... but only after spraying it with lysol, cleaning it... and placing plastic garbage bags on the base of the cart. I left it a little too long in my room (trying to get it unloaded,...and resting ... and the front desk, (who by the way saw me use the ONLY cart in the area... called me REPEATEDLY insisting I get the cart back down stairs.. ...strange, they did not bother other hotel guests... or keep track of the (supposed) other two baggage carts... It is a shame, if they are going to have more guests ...maybe they should first of all use garbage carts to cart garbage out to the dumpsters, and they may want to consider getting more baggage carts for the guests..... since these are the smallest baggage carts I Have ever seen.

At one point I even realized they had been in my room, when I inadvertently, and briefly left a baggage cart in my room during the day time. (I was using these carts for washing clothes, and bedding ..(since they do not offer these services)... and bringing in food, and taking in and out cleaning supplies (since I had to clean my own room).... I needed during my 10 day stay, I held on to the cart because I had had difficulty finding a cart from the beginning...when I first needed it, and as I said, I am disabled, and NO ONE there cared enough to help me get my bags to the room....... (like I said,there was only ONE available)

They never said anything to me about it but the hostility after that was not only obvious, but blatant.

Also during the stay I had to request pillow cases without blood stains on them., and pillow case covers for those pillows that had not covers...

When I was ready to check out, I realized I could use a couple of minutes more to gather my belongings. I called down 15 minutes before and asked if I could have a few more minutes to gather my belongings... I was told NO, in no uncertain terms... I even re-asked, because I could NOT believe the beligerant way in which I was being addressed. I was told to get my belongings down immediately.... and that I would be charged if I did not. I threw my belongings on the cart, (I suppose I was limited on using) ... (without packing) and got down immediately.

But when I went to check out ..it was the worst! I was treated more like a pest they were trying to get rid of than like a guest who had just paid for a full 10 day stay, with NO amenities, and having to do all the cleaning in the room myself! (the room was cleaner when I left than when I got there)....

I mentioned the fact that the manager wanted to come in my room at night when I was asleep to repair a stopped up drain, and how this was inappropriate.. that it would have been better to wait until the next day (after I checked out) to repair ..what I know know to be a broken stopper)

I was told that I was a rude guest (who knew, I did not bother anyone in the hotel including them for anything but asking for fresh towels... and washed my own bedding daily) ...

I mentioned the fact that someone had put garbage on the baggage cart, that there were not THREE carts available, and I only saw ONE the whole time I was there, and asked them why they did not mind waking me up in the morning or calling me late at night ....asking ME if there was a cart in MY room, when obviously either other guests had them, or they were hiding them, or not keeping track of the other two carts!

I also asked why there was no one to help a disabled person get their bags to their room.. I also mentioned about the stopped up sink, and the MALE clerk (obviously management) .. who wanted to enter MY ROOM late at night (after 9:30 p.m.) to unstop the drain in the bathroom, though they were called several HOURS earlier)... I would NOT allow him in my room. I did not know him, and found it strange that they would send someone to my room so late at night (after I was in bed asleep.) ... to work on the sink!

It was at this point the hostility of the clerks and management came out! ...I was told I had been a bother to them, and if I did not like the service .. NOT to come back! Never to return. You can rest assured I will never return to this suite.... it has NOTHING to offer but a bed at night and a TV. ..all cleaning is to be done by the person themselves... they offer WEEKLY cleaning, and if you miss that, you are out of luck!

They are rude to their guests, and will call at any hour or knock at your door at any hour, and will even enter your room when you are away. I KNOW. I have NEVER had such poor service. Could it be that this hotel is run by those from the middle eastern countries and do not understand that in America, we pride ourselves on hospitality, and helping even the most difficult guests, which, I assure you I was not. I am a fairly easy going person, but this was just a little too much for me.

Room Tip: There are really NO good rooms to this hotel if you are seeking scenery. it is located in a very po...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Karen030312,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.