WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Texas City
Texas City, Texas
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was the absolute WORST experience of my whole lifetime of hotel stays. I stayed there because it was close to my home while having my home renovated. I was there for 10 days. and NO, there is not regular cleaning service for the rooms. My bathroom was filthy upon arrival. I had to call someone in to clean it..

Even though they were expecting me... the check in was poor, and they had not bothered to register me until I got there. ... and chose to admit another guest (whom they had pre-registered) ahead of me, though I had arrived BEFORE them.

They also had a limited number of carrying carts ... I am disabled and needed one, and when I asked for one, there was none available. I was told to wait for the cart. After waiting a while, NO ONE offered to help me get my bags up to the 6th floor! I had to carry my belongings up with several trips up the elevator. I was exhausted and it was very late before i finally got all my belongings to the room. I did not see a baggage cart until the next day. They were supposed to have three, ..but I only saw ONE baggage cart, then a second one a few days later, which the hotel employee was using to place smelly garbage on, to carry out to the garbage dumps. The third cart was obviously hidden...possibly in someones room who did not want to place their baggage on a baggage cart that was used to carry garbage! (don't they have specific carts to carry waste?)

I had to take my own bedding down (during the day) to clean it and my towels to the front desk to ask for clean towels. ... and when I needed extra soap, shampoo .. I was told I could PURCHASE it from their store!!!! shame shame, a 10 day stay and NO amenities!

At one point (after seeing the garbage placed on the baggage cart) .... I brought one up to my room, and used it for the food and water... but only after spraying it with lysol, cleaning it... and placing plastic garbage bags on the base of the cart. I left it a little too long in my room (trying to get it unloaded,...and resting ... and the front desk, (who by the way saw me use the ONLY cart in the area... called me REPEATEDLY insisting I get the cart back down stairs.. ...strange, they did not bother other hotel guests... or keep track of the (supposed) other two baggage carts... It is a shame, if they are going to have more guests ...maybe they should first of all use garbage carts to cart garbage out to the dumpsters, and they may want to consider getting more baggage carts for the guests..... since these are the smallest baggage carts I Have ever seen.

At one point I even realized they had been in my room, when I inadvertently, and briefly left a baggage cart in my room during the day time. (I was using these carts for washing clothes, and bedding ..(since they do not offer these services)... and bringing in food, and taking in and out cleaning supplies (since I had to clean my own room).... I needed during my 10 day stay, I held on to the cart because I had had difficulty finding a cart from the beginning...when I first needed it, and as I said, I am disabled, and NO ONE there cared enough to help me get my bags to the room....... (like I said,there was only ONE available)

They never said anything to me about it but the hostility after that was not only obvious, but blatant.

Also during the stay I had to request pillow cases without blood stains on them., and pillow case covers for those pillows that had not covers...

When I was ready to check out, I realized I could use a couple of minutes more to gather my belongings. I called down 15 minutes before and asked if I could have a few more minutes to gather my belongings... I was told NO, in no uncertain terms... I even re-asked, because I could NOT believe the beligerant way in which I was being addressed. I was told to get my belongings down immediately.... and that I would be charged if I did not. I threw my belongings on the cart, (I suppose I was limited on using) ... (without packing) and got down immediately.

But when I went to check out ..it was the worst! I was treated more like a pest they were trying to get rid of than like a guest who had just paid for a full 10 day stay, with NO amenities, and having to do all the cleaning in the room myself! (the room was cleaner when I left than when I got there)....

I mentioned the fact that the manager wanted to come in my room at night when I was asleep to repair a stopped up drain, and how this was inappropriate.. that it would have been better to wait until the next day (after I checked out) to repair ..what I know know to be a broken stopper)

I was told that I was a rude guest (who knew, I did not bother anyone in the hotel including them for anything but asking for fresh towels... and washed my own bedding daily) ...

I mentioned the fact that someone had put garbage on the baggage cart, that there were not THREE carts available, and I only saw ONE the whole time I was there, and asked them why they did not mind waking me up in the morning or calling me late at night ....asking ME if there was a cart in MY room, when obviously either other guests had them, or they were hiding them, or not keeping track of the other two carts!

I also asked why there was no one to help a disabled person get their bags to their room.. I also mentioned about the stopped up sink, and the MALE clerk (obviously management) .. who wanted to enter MY ROOM late at night (after 9:30 p.m.) to unstop the drain in the bathroom, though they were called several HOURS earlier)... I would NOT allow him in my room. I did not know him, and found it strange that they would send someone to my room so late at night (after I was in bed asleep.) ... to work on the sink!

It was at this point the hostility of the clerks and management came out! ...I was told I had been a bother to them, and if I did not like the service .. NOT to come back! Never to return. You can rest assured I will never return to this suite.... it has NOTHING to offer but a bed at night and a TV. ..all cleaning is to be done by the person themselves... they offer WEEKLY cleaning, and if you miss that, you are out of luck!

They are rude to their guests, and will call at any hour or knock at your door at any hour, and will even enter your room when you are away. I KNOW. I have NEVER had such poor service. Could it be that this hotel is run by those from the middle eastern countries and do not understand that in America, we pride ourselves on hospitality, and helping even the most difficult guests, which, I assure you I was not. I am a fairly easy going person, but this was just a little too much for me.

Room Tip: There are really NO good rooms to this hotel if you are seeking scenery. it is located in a very po...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Texas City, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Karen030312,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This Candlewood Suites is clean and comfortable --it was exactly what I expected. It closely mirrored a 2010 stay in a different Candlewood. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful, guest laundry was free -great bonus. The rooms were very clean and smelled fresh, they provide nice cookware and utensils for use on the cooktop or in the microwave. They even provided 2 soap packets for the dishwasher. It is a short distance to restaurants and grocery store, located on a highway, but very quiet. It was very comfortable and felt almost like home. If we are ever in Texas City, Texas again this is where we will stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lake Charles, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I booked this hotel through my priority rewards, I saw that there were mixed reviews. But this hotel was a very good and pleasant surprise!!!!!!!!! The rooms were very spacious and clean. There were great and comfy beds, the lobby area was very presentable, and the front desk staff was very friendly. We stayed here for a trip to Galveston, TX, and it was only like a 10 min drive away. The rooms were a great deal and very much worth the money you have paid for them! I will definitely be choosing this hotel again for all of my trips to Galveston! The only downfalls were the view and no pool! However, this would not deter me from staying at this property again! I loved it!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Hwy! Otherwise, you'll just be staring at a ditch!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here one night during mid-week to get some much needed rest. If you are not familiar with this area, this hotel is a little bit off the beaten path as it is acually located on the feeder road of TX-146. That being said, it is in a very quiet location while still being close to major shopping and restaurants in the area. The cleaning crew were still putting the "finishing touches" on my room after I checked in, so I slipped away for about 20 minutes and came back to find everything in perfect order. My third floor room was clean, spacious, and quiet. I never heard any outside noises, and I got some excellent rest in the very comfortable bed. This is a "low amenity" hotel with no swimming pool or free breakfast, but it has a later check out time (12PM) than most hotels and a very reasonable price compared with other hotels in this area. I will stay here again, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends or family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Longview
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed a week at this hotel and were so pleased not only with our room, but with the great customer service. When we checked in and got to our room we noticed there was a leak in the ceiling that was dripping onto the floor. The front desk staff immediately changed our room and apologized over and over for the trouble. They then thanked us for letting them know there was a leak and explained that it had rained there every day for many days in a row. Due to the excessive rain they also had an outside ant problem, no ants inside the hotel, only the outside, that got into our car. When we told them they offered to have our car cleaned and do anything to rectify the situation. They did not try to make excuses, they admitted the problems and fixed them asap. We were very impressed with the staff and the management, will for sure stay here again when visiting.

Room Tip: no pool or restaurant, but very close to both Galveston and Kemah
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We decided on a Friday to drive down to Galveston, Texas and needed a room. It was hard to find an affordable and smoke-free room there, so we decided to look in Texas City. My first phone call was to Candlewood Suites and the clerk was so helpful I booked immediately. At check-in I was greeted with a smile and quickly checked-in. We went to the room and I was really not expecting a double bed room to be so spacious. I've stayed other places and the rooms always feel cramp.The front desk clerk even called a cab for us, when we were ready to head out for the night! The beds were comfortable and the service was excellent, so I'll be booking here again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I loved this hotel!! It was new, clean, roomy, comfortable, had dvd players in every room, free dvd's to rent, and it was in a safe area. The desk person was real nice and friendly and let us know about everything that comes with the room for free like the wifi and use of the gym equipment. The only down side was no pool but other then that is was great. I felt comfortable going outside at night and not haveing the fear of someone running up on me. I will stay here again and you cant beat the price expecially if your staying more then one night. Buy your food and cook it in the kitchenette, that has all you need to cook and save even more money, it even comes with a dishwasher and a refridgerator that makes ice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple