“met our expectations”

Comfort Inn & Suites Galveston Bay Refineries
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Texas City
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The room was great as was the free breakfast. We stayed here the night before our cruise left the next day out of Galveston. The only downer I would say is the extra $25.00 they charged us up front for having 4 adults in our room vs. 2 adults. When we booked this several weeks earlier on hotels.com we knew about the extra $25.00 fee so it wasn't a surprise or anything. I just felt like they shouldn't do this type of charge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites Galveston Bay Refineries

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The bed was comfortable, the room quite large and the desk staff so helpful. However, the breakfast area was not a pleasant experience. The line for the food was always long, they constantly ran out of eggs and sausage and there were several signs saying "Do Not Take Food Out of This Area" which would be fine but there was never any place to sit. Loved Texas City!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Monica M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm shocked at some of the other reviews! But, everyone's perceptions are different. I'm very particular, we stayed at this location in May of 2012. We are back again. I have to add that this is Spring Break weekend just a few miles from Galveston. Thus, if a problem were going to occur, this would be the time. There's just a few things I must say in the beginning. No fan in the bathroom, I just cannot see that as a worthy point to even put down as one reviewer did. That is just me. Alex, at the front desk, he's a young guy, but was very friendly at chatty. Not sure why he was described as rude. The rooms, they are immaculate. We have just came back in from being gone all day, the room is spotless. There are no broken drawers, lamps, hinges, deco is nice, snack area is clean, parking lot is safe. As far as no restaurants near by as one reviewer said, well, they didn't a block down and turn. There are too many to choose from. Bottom line, if going to Galveston, just stay here. Moderately priced Galveston locations (if there is such a thing) are usually rooms that have been ravaged by teens. This is a "grown up" hotel here. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is nice.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank catbeckster
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here the night before our cruise left Galveston. I must say that the room and bathroom were absolutely the cleanest room that I have ever had in a motel/hotel. The breakfast was the standard fare. The staff was friendly but we had a little trouble checking in as the desk clerk had to leave to make up some rooms! They were helpful in giving us suggestions on dining. The room as spacious and overall I was VERY pleased.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MilanTraveler
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel overall was a nice hotel. It has a great outdoor pool. The only problem we had was the hotel didn't have a shower chair available. We asked the front desk about this problem and even though they didn't have one available they went and bought one for us to have the next morning. Alex was very helpful! This hotel was very reasonable in price if you do the advance price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Where to start...my bff and I had reserved a room for the last weekend in June at this establishment. An hour before our arrival, we were informed by Alex (the rudest desk clerk I've ever come across) that they had given our room away because we were not there before 3 pm! Keep in mind, their policy is not to give a room away until 7 am the next morning. My friend finally got the manager on the phone, who was equally as rude. After several minutes of the manager calling her a liar, the manager said "I don't want to talk to you anymore! You can just call corporate." & hung up on her. Long story short, we filled a complaint with the corporate office and have never once heard back from the hotel. WORST customer service I've ever experienced in my life!! Needless to say, neither my friend nor I will be staying at a Comfort Suites ever again. TRAVELER BEWARE of this shady operation!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Crystalrenee1984
Reviewed April 22, 2012

No exhaust fan in bathroom. No air conditioning in bathroom. Quieter than average, partly due to location and partly due to the fact there were not very many quests. Hotel is easy to find and is halfway between Galveston and Kemah.

No restaurant nearby but there is a Chevron station next door.

Breakfast included oatmeal, waffles, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy. Biscuits were so hard and dry they were not edible. Oatmeal was not restocked and there were no toppings for the oatmeal. Milk was not restocked, coffee was not restocked, waffle batter was not restocked. This seemed to be a situation where the desk clerk was doing double duty as breakfast bar attendant, always a bad idea. Only one trash can in the breakfast bar area and it was in the most inconvenient place possible, they need to add a trash can near the exit door. Maids used the breakfast bar for their own breakfast. This not only used food and tables intended for guests but their cell phones were constantly ringing and they were constantly talking on the phone.

We are not messy people and normally do not ask for maid service for short stays. On this occasion we ran short of kleenex and asked the maid for another box. She refused.

This hotel has a public computer with printer, but the interface is cumbersome and not user friendly. For some strange reason they will not let you use the computer between midnight and 6:00 am.

Room Tip: One side overlooks the parking lot, if you want to keep an eye on your car. The other side overlook...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple