“Best view in Terlingua”
Review of Wildhorse Station

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Terlingua
Wildhorse Station
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Terlingua
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Needed a place to chill for a couple of days on way to the other side of Big Bend & gave Louise @ Wild Horse a call. Lucked into getting #1 for 2 excellent nights & days. Great cabin, great view, wonderful surroundings. It can be a little rough around the edges, but the wildlife, birds and mountains are worth it! Will go back if we can get in :)

Room Tip: You are kind of on the edge of the wilderness. Be prepared, but this sure is a cool choice. If you a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 886Mark

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Having read all of the review, we knew what to expect.
Its not the Ritz, nor should you expect anything close to it in such a remote part of the US.

I was lucky to get a "cabin" with only two weeks notice, if just so happens that someone had canceled the day I called. We stayed in #7 which is the furthest from the road.
The cabin was, as described, a 70's vintage mobile home, two bedrooms with living and kitchen. The kitchen was well stocked as far as utensils are concerned, there was a tv with a direct tv box that I assume worked... we never contemplated turning it on.
The bed was not the most comfortable, but I've slept in worse... the over all cleanliness was great!
The view in the evening and the morning was wonderful.... I don't believe I have even been anywhere as relaxing as that front porch watching the sun come up and illuminate the valley slowly while the blue quail, misc birds, and mule deer all rustled up breakfast.
Water pressure was good, and plenty of hot water to go around, I was a bit worried about the taste of well water in the desert... but was pleasantly surprised , the water tasted great. The kitchen was more than adequate with a full sized refrigerator. Honestly all we prepared was coffee in the morning and light lunches, dinner we ate in Terlingua....

Total relaxation, with plenty to do during the day to wear yourself or kids out. We will be BACK!

Room Tip: we stayed in #7, but will be looking to book #1 in the future
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Justin B
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We are not "high maintenance" type people, and our original plan was to tent camp in Big Bend National Park over spring break in a primitive site, but we changed our minds & I was able to get us a last minute reservation at the Wild Horse Station (someone else had just canceled). I knew, from the photos, that we would most likely be in an old trailer, and I was ok with that. We were grateful to not have to haul all of our camping gear. Wild Horse Station is conveniently located near Terlingua & the west entrance of the park, they don't charge exorbitant rates during spring break, and the alternative for us, was sleeping on the ground in a tent. With that being said...we found the interior of the trailer unacceptable. It was dirty, smelled like cigarette smoke, the windows were filthy, the toilet's water was shut off, the TV's reception ended as soon as we moved it one inch on the counter top, I had to re-wash the dishes before using them, and there were mouse droppings in the sleeper-sofa. But....the linens on the beds were clean, and the beds were comfortable. It was very quiet and private (all the cabins are spaced far apart), and while our place didn't have much of a view, I can understand the appeal of cabin #1 if you can score that one!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Suzanne Z
Reviewed March 25, 2014

October 2013
When my husband and I saw the sign for Wild Horse Station that was almost illegible and then entered Cabin #1 we were ready to forfeit our money and leave. I am not a fussy person but he screens were falling off so you couldn’t open a window, the curtains were dirty and hanging every direction and difficult to open and close, the place was dirty especially the cupboards and dishes. This is coming from someone who usually tents. The beds were OK, linens clean, furniture old and tired. But the view was worth the $100 a night for a week. We ate every evening meal on the deck and sat with a cup of coffee and watched the sun come up every morning. It was so quiet and peaceful. Perfect weather. I can’t speak for the other places they rent out, but Cabin #1 is the ultimate place to stay . The cabin sits on a high knoll and overlooks the mountains, where sunrises and sunsets speak to your soul. It is so beautiful. Wild Horse Station is also a short drive to Terlingua that is a fascinating Ghost Town with a few local dwellers. It is a photographers paradise. We were there during the Govt. shutdown which was over on Thursday. That gave us time to see both the State Park and National Park, plus a day in Terlingua. I give the cabin a Very Good, just because of the majestic view and peaceful setting.
I would stay here again if I could have the same cabin, regardless of the condition. Some elbow grease and reconditioning could make the cabin much more inviting. We did not ask for additional service, but when we left we did point out some things that needed immediate repairs. It is one of those places you will always remember.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Cabin #1.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank backroadsandy
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We go to Big Bend several times a year. Usually we stay here, but this past spring break she was booked, so we had to stay at a place down the road. I did not realize how spoiled we had gotten staying here. The stars are amazing. I will not go unless she has a cabin for us to stay in. Louise is a sweetheart, Wanda is wonderful, and we will never ever again stay anywhere else! Visitors include scaled quail, cactus wren, coyote and tarantula.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank spaniel29
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Louise is very nice and helpful. The trailers offer good value relative to local options, and the location is good for access to Big Bend and the ghost town. That's where the action is. So at Wildhorse Station you will have privacy and views. But you don't get cleanliness. The interior is dated and tired, thick swirled brown-tan broadloom carpet and all. We chose to never take our shoes off. This is dusty territory and the old and new dust has settled deep into the furniture and carpet. Sit lightly, bring your own drinking water, paper towels, charcoal, foil, a couple of lightbulbs, pot scrubbbers, and perhaps a pot that is not scary. Supplies are provided spartanly. Water pressure is good, the water is hot, and very very hard.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Codje
Reviewed February 28, 2014

You WANT cabin #1. The view is amazing. It is clean, the beds are comfortable, and you will love the solitude. When people rave about the Wildhorse Station, this is the place they are talking about. You don't want 'cabin 7'. It has a so-so view, it reeks of cigarette smoke, and the beds are tiny. If you smoke and just want a place to crash, this could work for you. If you are traveling with friends and none of you smoke, this could be a nightmare for you. CONFIRM YOUR CABIN BEFORE YOU GO.

The proprietor is a great gal who is charming and pleasant. I enjoyed her. I hope you get a great cabin and have a wonderful stay.

Oh yeah, no phone, no internet, no cell phone reception. If you can't live with that, don't stay here. They do have TV hooked up to satellite and you get quite a few channels. But if you stay here, you'll want to be sitting on the porch, enjoying the view, not watching a TV. Leave your porch light off at night and go see the amazing sky. You'll never see more stars. It's breathtaking.

Rooms have good a/c units, which are much appreciated. Hot water was instantly available. Furniture and decorations are 1970s chic. Again, you aren't staying here for the Sheraton experience. You are staying here because it is 'off the grid' with great views. Keep your expectations in check and you'll really enjoy this place.

Room Tip: You want a cabin that sits high on the mountain. Some do, some don't. If a great view matters...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Frog4aday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terlingua
El Dorado Hotel
#3 of 8 in Terlingua
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Lajitas

Been to Wildhorse Station? Share your experiences!