“Changed the gravy”

Cafe 35
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Local road side food destination. Best Chicken Fried Steak on I-35!!!! Great salad bar, grilled burgers, daily specials, and home made pie. Stop on by and give it a try.
Belton, Texas
“Changed the gravy”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've been bragging about the gravy. Had breakfast and the gravy was blah and my biscuit was hard. I will come back but please go back to the original. As usual service was great. Lunch menu is very good. Chicken fried steak good.

Visited July 2013

Temple, Texas, United States
“A must try!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After much curiosity, my husband and I came to dine here, and it was a great choice.
We were the only ones there which didn't bother us much as it felt like the place was all ours :)

I had the strip steak which had the right amount of seasoning and was very juicy. I had asked for my steak to be cooked medium, but was delivered medium well, but that would be the only complaint I would have. My husband enjoyed the chicken fried steak plate. Everything tasted homemade and fresh.

I definitely would suggest this diner to anyone coming or going to Temple. I am a local so I am happy to know this place is here whenever I want to come :)

• Visited July 2013
Belton, Texas
“Very good”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Ate breakfast and the milk gravy tasted like homemade for sure. Biscuits were good. This place was recommended by two people so wanted to check it out. The wait staff was very friendly and service was great. Very clean and nice atmosphere. Bathroom was clean too. Looking forward to a lunch day as I heard the lunch was very good too. Actually, there are several items on the menu i want to try!!! Will definitely go back.

Visited June 2013
Temple, Texas
“Great Choice!!!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I had been reading the reviews online and couldn't wait to try Café 35. I am the caregiver for my 78 year old mother who has Alzheimer's disease. After her Doctor's appointment today, I decided to treat us both to lunch at Café 35. I ordered the Bacon Tots for our appetizer, they were fabulous. I had the Grilled Pork Loin, green beans, mac and cheese. I will have to say the ginger garlic chili glaze was one of the best I have had. The green beans were also very tasty and not overcooked. We had to leave before we finished our meal as my mother wasn't feeling well. They came to my table and completely packed up all the leftovers for me as I put my mother in the car (so helpful). Food was so good, I made family reservations for Mother's Day and I can hardly wait. Café 35 is definitely a Great Choice!!!

• Visited May 2013
Celeste, TX
“Surprising gem of a find in Temple”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped here because our daughter had recommended it. It was an enjoyable lunch. We both ordered Chicken Fried Steak and my husband had green beans and mac and cheese, but I had mashed potatoes and corn (yes, I know, 2 starches!). The corn was fresh corn with diced red peppers (not canned mexicorn), lightly seasoned; the potatoes were red potatoes and mashed with the skins on them. My husband really liked the way the green beans were prepared (they were also fresh and not canned or frozen) and while he liked the mac and cheese, he thought mine homemade was better. The CFSs were tender enough to cut with your fork and nicely sized. Well worth the price! The waiter even offered us a fresh to go cup for our iced teas!

The only fault I have with this restaurant is the single bathroom with a lock that doesn't work well. You think you have locked it, but there is no resounding "click" that tells you if you have or have not. (I know because someone walked in on me; thank goodness I was just buckling my belt!)

• Visited April 2013
Cafe_35_Tem_TX, Owner at Cafe 35, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for the kind words. Sorry about the bathroom issue you had. Based on your description you used the unisex in the event room. There are a set of Mens/Womens at the back of the main Dining Room. You go to the back wall of the main dining room and they are on the left.