“Slightly disappointed after reading the great reviews”
Review of Oscar Store

Oscar Store
Ranked #5 of 165 Restaurants in Temple
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I was traveling through Temple Texas and used my Trip Advisor App to find somewhere good to eat. This place looked great based on reviews, people go out of their way to eat here and it's not a chain, looked like a local gem that I wanted to try. We arrived after 1pm on a Sunday afternoon and the place was packed. Good sign I figured. This place was a rustic barn type building with a large outdoor space for live music shows. It only took a couple of minutes to be seated because the after church crowd seemed to be clearing out. I tried the catfish dinner with sides of onion rings and okra. My husband had the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and brocolli and cheese casserole. My catfish was not well cooked or seasoned. I added salt which helped but the ends were overcooked and too hard to eat while the middle part made me question whether is was fully cooked or not. It was served with packages of tartar sauce. I'm not sure why they couldn't make it there on site and serve it with some hush puppies like most places. The okra seemed like normal frozen fair that was deep fried and the onion rings were good. My husband really enjoyed his entire meal, he said the potatoes tasted homemade and the rolls which he let me try were really good. Also that brocolli cheese casserole reminded me of the kind Mom used to make, delish, I wish I would have ordered what HE had! The service was good and friendly, the bathrooms where clean but the towel machine didn't work. Overall it was a good experience but not sure it was worth going out of our way for. The server was friendly and attentive.

2  Thank ljmzta
There are newer reviews for Oscar Store

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We had a really good burger/chicken fried steak/fries/fried pickles!

Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have an acquaintance who lives down the road from Oscar Store who suggested I meet him there for lunch. What a great surprise. The location is an old country store, but expanded and modernized, maintaining the rustic atmosphere. I hope I can get there on a warm night for some outdoor dancing and dining, as it looks like a nice place at night. The prices are moderate and the service is friendly.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Took the scenic route to this little joint upon many recomendations from family in the area. I had the chicken fried steak and the rest of the group enjoyed their burgers. Fresh cut fries were tasty and the CFS was a perfect bread to meat ratio and not greasy at all. Might have been the best I've had in years. The service was excellent, too. Can't wait to go back when the weather warms up to visit the outdoor bandstand and pickup bed benches and enjoy some Texas country and a cold beverage. I hear the steaks are awesome as well.

1  Thank William D
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We've been here a few times and have never been disappointed with anything! Good food, good atmosphere, and good people! Summer/fall concerts are also worth your time. A definite "must" if you're looking for an expedience of a lifetime! Really reminds me of Lukenbach!

2  Thank Travelinlady82