“Great food”

Megg's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 164 Restaurants in Temple
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fresh. Seasonal. Local.
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Great food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We ate Sunday brunch here with our daughter and son-in-law and enjoyed it very much. I had ricotta fritters and my husband had blueberry and pecan pancakes. They were both very delicious. They also have bakery items such as fresh muffins and fresh loaves of bread you can buy to take home. I understand there's also usually a wait to get in and we did have to wait a while to be seated. Our entered party loved the food there. I will definitely go back!

• Visited October 2013

Wharton, Texas
“Great Sandwiches!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We called in an order for soup and sandwiches on Saturday, October 5, 2013. The take-out order was ready when promised and was excellent. I hope we dine in the restaurant the next time we visit Temple.

Visited October 2013
Georgetown, Texas
“A Great find in Temple"!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband surprised me and found this restaurant for a late lunch one day. I have to admit when we arrived I wasn't impressed with the looks of the building until I saw a banner flying stating, "Top Breakfasts Spots, By "Texas Monthly"! Now, that got my attention. We arrived for a late lunch. My husband had the, "Dom of Choice", eggs, short stack of pancakes and bacon of course. It was excellent! I started with a glass of wine and we were quite surprised to see they had "Prisoner" on the wine list. I started with the Wagyu Meatballs, melt in your mouth fantastic! I shared them with my husband they were so good. I had the roasted turkey sandwich, with avocado and bacon. Yummy!! The service was fast, friendly and efficient. The food was excellent!! We think it should be called a "bistro", it encompasses so much more than their fantastic breakfast. This is a must if you are traveling through the area. I wish we lived closer, I'm ready to try a new entree! Cheers!

• Visited August 2013
Texas
“A delightful surprise for Central Texas”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you're not looking to compete for a booth at IHOP, and you're near Scott/White or doing business in Temple, a weekday or weekend trip to Megg's is in order. Located conveniently near S&W just off the loop, the building combines Megg's good cooking with the Hamilton Bread bakery.

Dishes aren't just for breakfast (picture several shifts of hospital workers, as well as diners) so while it's nice you can get an offbeat breakfast here, don't miss brunch specials, dinner and even a very interesting beer and wine selection.

Daily specials put a nice variation on comforting familiar favorites. Belgian waffles and chicken; brioche french toast. The local purveyors of fresh ingredients and organic components are proudly presented, with a minimum of faux artisanship; you can have a nice, fun education about how your meal arrived, or you can just enjoy it (this is Temple, after all, not Austin).

Service, as has been mentioned, reflects the small-town friendliness of Central Texas: "how can I help you" from the greeter could be off-putting (hey, you're the hostess in a restaurant!) but could mean, meal or bakery? Staff are thinly spread, doing several jobs which include prepping the restaurant, so management needs a handle here when it's busy but what they lack in smoothness, they make up for in energy; nobody here is not interested in food. It can get a little crowded, and there's a "bar" (the evening's staple) for single diners so sometimes you can't get a table right away; no booths here.

Try the breakfast of short-rib eggs and hash: laden with fresh herbs, onions, a couple of fried eggs and delightful sheared rib meat in a bowl with toast. Or eggs benedict with real ham, fresh hollandaise sauce. Fresh juices are available. Shrimp and grits make as memorable a meal as the breakfast. Various main course stars make their appearance seasonally.

Prices are reasonable (one review elsewhere mentioned, 'it's a little expensive but worth it') for anyone living in cities. I paid a standard $9-something for my endless coffee, homemade toast and one seriously-sized hash 'n eggs.

Don't forget the Hamilton Bread side of this business; a comforting baked good here is as good as it gets in larger communities north and south of here. An excellent combination of energy, great fresh ingredients and interesting takes on classic dishes make Megg's a true destination in Central Texas.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank chevytexas
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The breakfast menu is amazing. Love the brioche French toast! On Sundays they have special items, such as cheesy grits. Very highly recommend Megg's to anyone that loves breakfast food.

• Visited May 2013