“On The Road Again...”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Google it, or see "Top 50 BarBQ" in Texas Monthly Magazine
Description: Google it, or see "Top 50 BarBQ" in Texas Monthly Magazine
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We're on the road again back to TX from our home in Nuevo Mexico and decided to make our lunch stop at Big Boy's. We'd read about this place in the BBQ edition of TX Monthly so it seemed like a great pace to take a break.

All we got were brisket sandwiches and and we split potato salad. Brisket was OK. It tasted like it had been cooked in a oven. It had no smoke flavor and the bark was not there. The sauce was decent and you needed it on the brisket for taste, I was surprised to hear them cutting the brisket into chunks rather than slices with an electric knife. Onions and pickles were on the side. Potato salad tasted like the package stuff you get at the grocery with some sweet pickle relish mixed in.

Will we stop again on our way back to TX, I doubt it.

gaylan m, Owner at Big Boy's Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thanks for stopping... We try to learn from what our customers have to say and also try to educate them... Our cooking method, direct heat, does not give the heavy "bark" that a smoker gives,,,At the same time, a heavy bark also leads to heart burn that some people believe comes from onions, too much sauce, or something else and the heavy smoke is the blame... As far as the electric knife, we have found it far easier to slice tender brisket with an electric knife vs a traditional knife... Thanks for stopping and would invite you to stop in again and try our "sliced brisket"... Gaylan

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were enroute to New Mexico, and used the BBQSnob as a reference on where to stop on the way. We ordered the brisket and the My Ribs. The brisket, in our opinion, tasted average. We took a bite, and immediately related it to Hard Eight in Coppell. Average and nothing special (different) than what you can get back home. We're not a big fan of the direct heat style of cooking for the brisket, and would prefer a smokier flavor. We're partial to rendered fatty brisket more commonly found with BBQ preparation utilizing indirect heat.

That being said, we took a bite of the country style My Ribs, and absolutely loved it. It was moist and tender, and full of flavor. This was the differentiating factor. Yum! We will definitely come back and get the My Ribs for sure!

Also loved the rustic Southwest decor, making it unique.

My husband was glad to finally find a great BBQ place in this part of TX sine Harold's (in Abilene) recently closed down.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Drove from Abilene to Sweetwater as we have been seeing all the hype on TV what a mistake. The brisket reminded me of pot roast; chunky rather than nice slices with a little fat and black edges. The sides were mediocre like the ready-made potato salad. The bill was high and when I questioned it was told the posted price of $9.20 had just been raised to $9.85 and a surcharge of 70c to use credit card. I don't know how this place got good reviews and now I know why there was only one other car there and Bucks had a full lot.

gaylan m, Owner at Big Boy's Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Some times, a business gets a customer that could not be satisfied if their food was served on a silver platter. Me and my staff do all we can to make everyone's experience at Big Boys as good as we can, but this customer could not be satisfied no matter what was done. Going so far as to make my staff feel very uncomfortable to say the least. This customer even called a few days later to continue his outrage, at such time I invited him back to personally take care of him myself, however, he did not have the courage to return and at this point , it would probably be the best, giving the way he treated my staff and acted in my business.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Michael-Red Oak, TX
I've lived most of my life in Texas. My job requires me to travel extensively throughout Texas, Oklahoma, & Arkansas on a weekly basis; consequently I eat out alot and try to eat BBQ once or twice weekly. I am like most Texans, always looking to discover a new special BBQ eating experience. This restaurant appearance is not real impressive, however rustic and appropiately decorated for this area. This establishment was very clean and the hostess/order taker was very cordial and friendlly; service was above par. I ordered the three meat plate; portions were just average. The cole slaw and potato salad were above average, however the corn bread was just average; come on this is Texas...let's add some jalepenos or offer Mexican corn bread. I ordered the brisket, sausage, and turkey. The turkey and sausage were both above average, lean, moist, and flavorful. However, I was very disappointed in the brisket. When in East Texas I expect a hickory smoke flavor, in Central Texas I expect a pecan smoke flavor, and in West Texas a Mesquite smoke flavor. This bisket was uneventful in regards to having any smoke flavor; nada (nothing) no red/pink smoke ring and no smoke flavor; both of which I expect in good pit cooked Texas BBQ. This brisket was very lean and tender, however I thought I was eating Yankee pot roast or my wife's Sunday roast beef. I've been eating Texas BBQ and brisket for the past 59 years of my pilgrimage on this plant and don't consider this an example of authentic "Texas BBQ Brisket" and definitely not top 50 brisket as reported in the Texas Monthly magazine. This brisket would not even get any consideration as entry level brisket in a BBQ cookoff!

1  Thank MIM777
Reviewed July 13, 2013

It is a nondescript metal building. Inside is decorated with tree limbs for seats, etc. Kind of worn out. You walk up, read the wall menu, and order. Don't dare ask for pulled pork cuz you in Texas, as we were told. No pork in Texas. The beef ribs were okay.

gaylan m, Owner at Big Boy's Bar-B-Que, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

First, thanks for trying our BBQ, we hope your stop was a positive one. Our furniture you referred to is equipale furniture from Mexico, which is wood covered with pig skin leather. As for the pork, we have "My Ribs", which is pork butt that I cut myself into 1 1/2" steak and our ribs are St Louis cut pork ribs. We do not have beef ribs. Hope this cleared up some questions you had on what we serve. Thanks again for stopping... Gaylan