“DO NOT GO!!!!”

Anchor Motel
Anchor Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I've stayed here before, years ago, as a single person. Maybe I was too intoxicated to really care were I slept. But as a parent and a little older and wiser person I've learned what was acceptable at 21, not so much with kids at 34. I was looking for a cheap place to just sleep, we didn't really plan to even be in the room more that 8 hours. This place is NASTY. I've stayed in dives before and am not above them but this place is worse than a dive. If you have small children...DO NOT STAY, if you are sensitive to mold...DO NOT STAY, if you like to sleep on clean unstained sheets...DO NOT STAY, if you really don't like seeing bugs in your room (huge wood roaches)...DO NOT STAY. We arrived around 11pm, walking into the room we were hit with a very strong order of mold and mildew. My 9-year-old son did not want to sleep here, I convinced him it was okay for one night. I was so wrong. The smell was overwhelming, the sheets were stained with huge orange/yellowish marks and the comforters were another story. One comforter was covered in long black hairs, (I have short blond) and stained with something brown all over it. The other comforter had what was undoubtedly blood, menstrual blood. The pillows were flat, not that we cared, we were not staying there. The bathroom was covered again with the black hairs EVERYWHERE! On top of everything else, the room was clearly set up for one double bed, they had two double beds cramped in the room, there was 8 inches between the bed and the wall to get to the bathroom, I had to squeeze between the wall and bed, not that it was a pleasant idea of rubbing up against either. I cannot imagine this place getting a decent review. Again I am not uppity, I've stayed at some pretty cheap, off the beaten path places, but this place was just DIRTY!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank tennis_shoe
There are newer reviews for Anchor Motel

Reviewed June 20, 2009

88 bucks for 1 night... VERY SCARY place. Mold, crusty old bathroom, dead roaches. Water faucets didn't even work. Very disgusting place. I can easily state that this is the worst place I've ever had to sleep in my entire life, and I'm not picky. This place should be demolished!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have never seen it so bad. It was juist me a guy looking for a place to crash did not need a whole lot. Bed shower bath no luxury at all. When i lay my bag on the bed and the bugs started to cover the bed and my bag. I ran to the bathroom and the smell i never smell before. Told the staff well it was like they were getting off to the problem and the smell. WARNING DO NOT ENTER!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I will stay here again. The beds are comfortable and the pillows are soft. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a place to stay. The rates are unbeatable. The rooms with the kitchenettes are great. They could use more television channels.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank wandanatbug
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed at the RV park next to the motel, which the motel owns. When we first got there we couldn't hook up our sewer or water cause we couldn't find it from all the tall grass. Boy were those blood sucking bugs around too. Then on the week end you would get woke up by some dumb chick fighting with her boyfriend cause he caught her with the motel manager!!!! I couldn't wait for the month to end!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Came with a group of about 10 friends back in 2003. We were going to have fun no matter what, so the hotel wasn't important. We came here to party and got exactly what we expected. This place is a cheap motel, do not expect anything luxury. In fact, if you're anything like me, you'd bring your own towel and blankets. This place would be considered a dump by someone like my Mom, but if you are a teenager looking to party with your friends, this might be the place. The actual beach isn't really that great, my friend got stung by a jellyfish the first day he was there, and another friend got oil on his back and it was near impossible to scrub it off. The room comes with a stove/kitchenette so you can "camp out" here if you bring groceries. There's a restaurant nearby (can't remember the name) that serves excellent fish / catfish. Wouldn't really recommend this place unless you're a teenager looking to party. Go to South Padre if you're looking for a nicer beach with resorts/hotels that are nice.

• Stayed: July 2003, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank NicolesDayDreamin
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I would use the hotel again because it is very close to the beach and has the necessities. It was nice to be able to take my little puppy. My grandchildren liked that as well They could improve the smell with an ozone machine. That would make it really great

Stayed: June 2007
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson
TownePlace Suites Lake Jackson Clute
Best Western Plus Lake Jackson Inn & Suites

Been to Anchor Motel? Share your experiences!