“Nice Property..... Beach Not So Much”

Ocean Village Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The property was nicely updated and all the people we came in contact with were very friendly.
I think the real negative was the beach and all the sea weed. We could not go into the water because it was so rough and large pieces of tree parts were coming into shore. There is no pool so it leaves no options for water fun with little ones. Lots of trash floating all around.....very gross. I realize the hotel can not control seaweed or trash in the the gulf, but for the price, there should be more amenities. I think we are spoiled by other beaches and Texas is not a great beach area.
Also, cleaning staff should leave enough towels and product for the amount of people staying in the rooms. Guests should not have to go to the office to collect enough towels and shampoo every day.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ourtime
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

I am glad that our hotel met with your satisfaction, I am sorry to hear that the beach did not. We have had an unfortunate amount of seaweed this summer and it has had an impact on the beach. We are working on additional amenities, including a pool, at the hotel for our guests. We hope you visit us again when the seaweed is not so bad.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms. Big rooms. Staff was excellent. My kids love how close the beach is to our room. We have a private balcony and access to a private rooftop balcony that overlooks the beach. Location is awesome. We are currently here now and have enjoyed every minute of it. We are staying for a week. So far so good. A+ !!!!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank reddirlgurl
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, We are glad you are enjoying your stay with us, and hope you will back again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Went down for a family trip. We stayed in the 6 plex and had some in the hotel rooms. They were all clean and very sizeable. The beach access was great and it's all private. We will definantly be back yearly.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank TammieMcilroy

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip with us. We look forward to seeing you down here yearly.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for about a week to go to a friend's wedding. The hotel was the nicest we saw in the area. The biggest downsides were no elevator or pool, the bathrooms, and lack of parking.

I'm not a lazy person, but climbing like 3 flights of stairs, outside, every time I wanted to go to or from my room started to suck. We stayed in the newest building, and it was decent. Staff said they were trying to get a pool put in, and when that happens I think it will be a great improvement. The water was cold, otherwise we would've just swam in the Gulf.

Room downsides: no towel rod, rust on some metal surfaces in the bathroom, bad ventilation in the bathroom. The rust wasn't bad, but enough to make a note about. The bathroom was tiny (as is common in many hotels) and there was no ventilation. While showering we resorted to leaving the door open because it got crazy hot, even if not raking an incredibly hot shower.

Hotel staff were nice and very courteous. Our first night there we planned to eat at the restaurant, but they closed at 8:30pm and we waited to eat until 8:15, so we had to eat elsewhere.

The restaurant there, pirates alley, was small but decent. Some staff were over the top awesome and others complained about management loudly and to us. That was weird.
They were making improvements while we were there, but it wasn't loud or smelly (like from paint).

The beach is right outside, and the hotel pretty much sits on the beach. Our room didn't have a view of the water, but a step out onto the landing at the end of our floor was all you needed to see the water and beach.

There are no hallway bathrooms, which doesn't seem all that bad until you're trying to climb 3 flights of stairs with a full bladder and can't find your room key. Not that I have personal experience lol. Upside, of downside if tour bladder is full, the exterior doors stay locked unless you have a room key.

Some buildings connect, and it would be been nice if all did. Otherwise you get stuck climbing down 3 flights of stairs to walk across the parking lot to climb 2 flights of stairs.

There isn't much parking, and plan to bring a broom and dust pan to sweep up sand. Also, maybe invest in some baby powder to help get the sand off your skin.

We would stay here again if we were ever back in surf side.

Oh, and the beach here is much cleaner than Galveston, just beware of all the seaweed mountains.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jenifer C

Thank you for the feedback. Are are constantly looking to upgrade and improve our facility here. We hope you come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! ! Great beach access and room with a view. The room was clean and as pictured. There is very little in Surfside other than to just get away from the "real" world and relax on the beach. The only name brand you will see there is the Valero gas station. We ate at 3 different restaurants. All are within walking distance from the hotel. By far the best one for dinner is The Red Snapper. The gulf water is the same here as in Galveston, dirty! The best difference is how relaxing Surfside is. While I rate this as a five star experience, understand that the hotel would not be five star for Galveston or Houston. It is nice and clean and we will be back in the future. I highly recommend it!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Toobusy2leave
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

We are a quiet little beach hotel in a quiet little town. We strive towards cleanliness and hospitality and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here for two nights. The room was very clean...the beds comfortable...the room had a balcony with a view of the beach. check in was easy....but be aware that there is not an elevator and the rooms are reached by a lot of stairs...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mavericktravel
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to seeing you again on your next beach vacation.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Where do I start? OK, so the seaweed wasn't their fault, but we couldn't even get to the water. Seems like they could have cleared a few small spots for their guests. At any rate, we stayed in one of the kitchenettes down the beach. The building/deck shook significantly anytime someone walked around inside, on the deck, or on the stairs. Felt like tiny earthquakes, and was enough to wake you from your sleep. Walls/floors/ceilings were paper-thin. Could hear everything. Barely slept the entire visit (4 very long nights).

There were enough sheets and pillows for 4 people (bed plus futon), but only one thin blanket which wasn't sufficient for the cool nights. It didn't help that the cooling/heating unit had a mind of its own. Even when you turned off the heat/cool AND the blower, it would continue to turn on frequently. And it was very loud, whistling through the vents. Must have been a lot of dust/mold in the ducts because my sinuses were in a constant state of irritation when it was running.

Their FAQ stated that there are hair dryers in every room. Ours didn't have one. I asked the cleaning lady about it, and she seemed surprised. Said they've never had them as far as she knew. If there is a difference between the kitchenettes and the main hotel, then the FAQ should state so. I left my dryer at home because of this false information, and ended up waiting a couple hours for my hair to dry each time I took a shower. Speaking of showers, there are no towel bars in or next to the shower/tub. Towels were very thin and rough. Wish we had brought our own, There were no dish towels in the kitchen. We had to ask for an extra bathroom hand towel to use in the kitchen.

The people in the office don't seem to know anything about the kitchenettes, and had to call someone else when we had a question. They didn't even know if there is furniture on the decks . There is not. There are built-in benches that don't even face the beach, and they won't let you take any of the room's furniture out on the deck. We had to go out and buy folding chairs with built-in cup holders.

There don't seem to be any rules about pets in the "pet-friendly" rooms. Neighbors had dogs that barked a lot, and were allowed to run loose. They also allowed them to play in the dunes, which I thought was a beach no-no. According to the city website, dogs are to be on leashes at all times on the beach. There was dog poop in various spots around the property. Disgusting. Also, do large cockroaches count as pets?? We killed a few in our room.

The final straw was the accident that I had the afternoon of our last day. There is a large electrical box placed at about head-height (for me) on the backside of one of the pilings between the parking area and the stairs. Wearing a ball cap, I couldn't see it when I came around the corner, and I slammed my head into the corner of the box and was thrown to the ground (rocks). Was almost knocked out and bled severely from a large gash, not to mention all the bruises from landing on the rocks. Husband had trouble finding information online about local emergency facilities, so he called the office. The woman who answered showed little concern and didn't seem to have any knowledge regarding such facilities, just stated that someone had recently dropped off some brochures about a 24-hour emergency place in a nearby town. She offered to bring one, but hesitated when she found out we were in one of the kitchenettes down the beach; so he went to get it himself. When I told the woman who took the keys the following morning about the accident, she stated that they had tried to get the electrical box moved but were told that was the only place for it. I suspect this was just to pass off blame, especially since they don't see to have any knowledge about the kitchenettes. Meanwhile, I have 4 staples in my scalp and a $1300 medical bill not covered by insurance. Interesting that they make you sign a form that says they aren't responsible for anything before you get your keys (but don't mention it when you make the reservation). Might look into the legality of this.

I wouldn't return to this place if it was the last beachfront property on Earth. The only nice things I can say about it are that the cancellation policy is reasonable, and that the maintenance/cleaning people are very nice and helpful. This trip was for my 50th birthday, but I would have been much happier staying home given this experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CDiss
Adam D, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

I am very sorry to hear about you unfortunate weekend with us. From the seaweed to your accident, it sounds like you had a very unpleasant experience.

I would first like to apologize for the issues you encountered with our newer staff members, we are currently increasing our staffing levels for our peak summer season, and some of our staff members are not fully trained as of yet, additional blankets and a hair dryer should have been made available to you. We do have policies in place for the Pet-Friendly rooms, and the city does have ordinance about leashes as well, unfortunately some people do abuse our hospitality.

You accident was terrible and while the City of Surfside does have an ambulance service on the island, all the emergency rooms are located in Lake Jackson approximately 15 minutes away.

We would love for you to give us another chance to provide you with an enjoyable vacation, if you would like, please contact one of our supervisors directly.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your injury.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson
Baymont Inn & Suites Clute

Been to Ocean Village Hotel? Share your experiences!