“Mixed feelings- Would give our stay 2 1/2 stars”

Ocean Village Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surfside Beach
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband comes to this area at least twice a month to fish. We decided that since we had some time off for the holidays we would stay one evening. We rented a suite with two queen size beds (last room available). This is really a beach house that has been divided into two suites (room 202). The room was at a rate of $199.00. They make it very clear that each additional person (past 2) is an additional $10.00 with a maximum of 4. I will start with what we were not thrilled about and then move to the really good things we loved.

-The people staying next to us had a minimum of 8 people, the noise was as if they were sitting in the same room with us. If you are staying in the beach house it's a bit loud if there are people next to you. 8 people and kids running up and down the stairs literally was so loud you would have thought we didn't have walls. This was a big turn off for us as we were there to relax. We understand that there is going to be some noise level due to the weekend and the location, but it was a bit more than you can expect from another location as far as noise level.
-One of the TV's was not working (Dishnet)
-We went to the restaurant that is a part of the hotel. We were told by a rude teenager that we had a 45 minute wait. Literally half the tables were empty. We waited at the bar (actually liked the bar area downstairs, very nice people) downstairs, I came and checked again 30 mins later and we were seated in one of the tables that was already empty from the first visit.
-Yellow Water and very little water pressure...As stated in previous reviews this is an issue but not the hotels fault. I cared little if there was water pressure or not because after looking at the water I wasn't going to use it for anything. Make sure to bring at least 2 or 3 gallons of water just to clean yourself with and use to brush your teeth.

What we loved
-Beach! The beach in front of this property is pretty clean (sand) and family friendly. I had a really nice time with the husband there.
-Front desk staff were very nice and answered all of our questions
-Pet friendly. It seems like recently they changed their pet policy. I believe it was a flat $75.00, not it depends upon the weight of the dog. So a dog under 13 lbs is like $25.00 an evening. Call the hotel for specifics but that is the general idea and I thought that was much more affordable than $75.00 bucks a dog no matter then size.
-Extras....They had a few little extras on their property that I thought was neat. Face painting for kids, snow cones for sale, showers to rinse your feet after coming back from the beach.

Would I stay there again? Honestly yes. But not for $200.00 bucks an evening. That price is way to high for what you get in that room. $99.00 to $129.00 may see me there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to call ahead of time and ask for a room where you can't hear every single thing next...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank S B
Phyllis P, Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

I'm glad that you did enjoy parts of your vacation and I do apologize that you had some issues while you were here. This is the first we have heard of noise issues in this unit that is only about 6 months old and they are being looked into. There are other rooms that cost less and after Labor Day our prices go down. Thank you for your helpful feedback. I do hope that you come back and visit us again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I try to take my family to the beach once a year. Port Aransas is my usual "go to" destination, but I haven't been able to find a "go to" place to stay there. This year I thought we would try someplace different and after a little research discovered the Ocean Village Hotel. So, I made a 4 night reservation for July 3 - 6. We reserved room 410, which had an adjoining door to room 408. All the rooms in that building have a balcony and your view depends on what side of the building your room is on. Our was on the parking lot side but there is a space between buildings where you could see the ocean. I'll start with the positives: The room was really clean. The staff seemed to be local and easy to communicate with. Housekeeping met our every need. The AC worked great. The place is really only steps from the beach. All you have to do is cross a walkway over the dunes and you're there.

But as with everything, a few negatives can erase a lot of positives. If the rooms adjoin, you can hear nearly everything that goes on in the adjoining room through the door. The water was brown, but I expected that since I read some of the reviews here before booking the room and understood what the water issue was. Their advertising is a little deceptive. They advertise a 42' Plasma TV with Dish Network, which they have, but they only offer 28 standard definition channels which makes a Plasma TV no better than the old box ones. They offer wi-fi in the rooms but I was only able to connect and use the internet the first night. I complained to the front desk 3 days in a row and was told each day that they would have the maintenance guy reset the router, but it still wouldn't work.

Then on Saturday, as we were leaving for our day out, I noticed a party starting under the hotel (it sits on stilts). The party was in full swing when we returned at 6 pm. I dropped by the front desk to ask if the party would be shut down at a reasonable time and was assured it would be. I wanted to spend our last night at the beach sitting on the balcony, listening to the waves, but that was impossible due to the party. At 10 pm, as we sat on the balcony, eating some pizza, we watched a staff member go over to the party. The music was initially turned down, but before the staff member could return to the office it was right back up at the level it started. Needless to say the party went on until after midnight, I could hear the music in my room. It's my understanding that a hotel is designed for sleeping, and that it should be considered a quiet area almost all of the time, so I was surprised that they allowed a party with loud music to go on past midnight.

I really wanted to rate this hotel a 5, but the problems with the internet and the loud party really disappointed me. All in all, I would probably stay again if we decide to return to Surfside Beach, just not on a busy weekend. I would like to suggest that they put some thick curtains up in the rooms along with the blinds. When I am on vacation, I really don't want awakened by the blazing sun at 6:30 am.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Walter P

Thank you for choosing Ocean Village Hotel as your vacation destination this year. With being a newer Hotel we are still finding some things that need to be completed such as the sound proofing adjoining rooms. We have already went through most of the rooms and sound proofed them. The wifi is in the process of getting updated and more channels being added to the Tv. We do ask all guest to keep the noise down after 10pm and do apologize that this party was not taken care of earlier. We do hope you come back and stay again!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I know it is tough with the humid sea air to keep a hotel in perfect condition, but this place was definitely in bad shape. The room had not been cleaned. There were beer cans on the patio, Dirt on the floors and a smell that made you gag as soon as you walked in. The one staff member that we spoke with was not professional. Since we canceled our second day stay due to the conditions, they charged us a higher rate. Pretty lame. I do not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mylittlepg

I'm sorry to hear that you had issues during your stay. With our oldest building being 3 years old and recently remodeled and our newest addition barely 5 months old we strive on being nice and clean for our guest. I do apologize that you did not enjoy your stay and if there was an issue with your room rate please feel free to connect us. I hope that you decide to come back and stay with us again. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed in one of the six-plex units 1/2 mile down the beach from the restaurant/main hotel. The location was great. We were right on the beach with fabulous front semi-shaded porch. It was a quiet family atmosphere which is what we were looking to find. Being able to bring the dog was wonderful.

The staff people we talked with were kind and helpful. It just seemed difficult to get in touch, and get a response in a timely manner. Never during the three days were we able to get help by phone for any of our concerns. We would call, get put on hold, get disconnected, so off we went to drive back to the office for help.

Disappointing...

After paying our balance at check-in we learned we were NOT to drink the water or brush teeth with the tap water. We didn't count on having to supply drinking water for our selves and the dog! Because the tap water wasn't drinkable, and there was no dishwasher or dish soap, we ended up eating picnic style with disposable everything.

Our room key didn't work and the room we were assigned had a broken window, so back 1/2 mile to the office to work that out.

There was a clump of hair on the toilet when we first arrived, adding a little "ick" factor.

The front TV of two never worked even after repeated attempts to get it fixed.

One of our group cut his foot on exposed carpet tacks between the bedroom and main hall so we left a towel over that frayed carpet for our stay.

The pull out couch (promised a Queen) was a futon and extremely lumpy and bumpy, while the bed was a solid material with no give whatsoever.

The toilet clogged the first morning. We called and waited on a plunger, but by the afternoon ended up driving up to the office to get it ourselves.

8  Thank LoBo68
Phyllis P, Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

I do apologize about the issues you had during your stay. We did discover this weekend that there is a problem with our phone system and we are working to resolve this. Unfortunately The Village of Surfside does not recommend drinking the water. We are also replacing the futon with a pull-out couch with a Serta mattress for more comfort. I hope since your stay began well you will consider giving us another try. Thank you for your helpful feedback. Come back and see us again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great couples get-away, a hidden Gem!
We loved our stay here !
Beautiful and basic .Comfortable and not too uptown.
We went off season and it was AWESOME peaceful, clean, well managed.
Great food at local restaurants.
We are looking forward to our semi-annual return!

Room Tip: Go for the Honeymoon suite Great view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We just got back from this hotel and for the place and location it was fantastic! We stayed in room 407- so relaxing! We had un obstructed views of the gulf. I almost hate to write this review because I want to keep it our little secret :)

The cafe on property was also very good.

Room Tip: Call and ask for a room in the new building.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Phyllis P, Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

I'm so glad to hear you had such a great stay! This is definitely a hidden little secret which makes it such a relaxing vacation for everyone! Hope you come back and see us again!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We visited for the first time June 6th thru June 8th. The hotel is clean, everyone is very nice! Huge thanks to Delores and the maintenance guy (can not remember his name), they were very helpful our first night visiting. The deck is awesome! Great place to just sit and relax....... that is until the mosquitos start biting. We had 4 room and they were all close to each other. 2 of them had great views while the other 2 didn't but we didn't care since we hung out on the beach a lot.
Only bad things 1.) The mosquitos are so bad all over except by the water. 2.) Color of water in hotel is yellowish.
We would stay here again though!!

Room Tip: Bring off mosquito spray and mosquito candles.
3  Thank tokyo1978

It's good to hear that you had a great time! We do spray for mosquitoes but unfortunately if it's rained recently we recommend to just bring mosquito spray just in case. The water in Surfside has a tint of yellow but we have new lines installed to minimize this. The 400 building that you stayed in along with our 300 building does have a better view from the "odd" numbered rooms but all rooms have a view and the buildings have a shared deck with a direct view that is beautiful. Hope you can come back and see us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson
Baymont Inn & Suites Clute

Been to Ocean Village Hotel? Share your experiences!