“Great location and now improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Village Hotel

Ocean Village Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Surfside Beach
GALVESTON
“Great location and now improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I typically stay here twice a year in March and October. The hotel now since my last stay in March has a new on-site manager and service has improved. There have been recent improvements to the rooms eg addition of coffee machine and in-situ hair dryer. On arrival the satellite box was not working but the staff swapped it out and resolved it promptly.
Please note if you need a microwave please choose rooms in the new "400" building as it has beefed up wiring.
The decks are bigger in the older 200 and 300 building though.
It does not get any more "beach front" than this. I will be back.

Room Tip: You can view most of the rooms on the hotel website, they are styled mostly individually so you can...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JOHNGalveston
Gilbert M, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We have improved and will continue to exceed guest expectation. We look foward to seeing you again in March.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Arlington, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ocean Village Hotel in late August 2012. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite.

This place did not disappoint! I was amazed at how spacious and clean the room was. The beach-front views were breath taking. All encounters with employees were nothing but pleasant. The bed was extremely comfortable and welcoming-- especially after a long day at the beach. The fried fish from the restaurant tasted light and fresh. I would recommend doing research on other places to eat as well, there isn't a great deal of variety in Surfside itself.

Galveston is about 45 minutes away, so not too far for a mini-day trip.

The beaches in front of the hotel are family friendly and not very crowded at all (at least they weren't the weekend we went). We went during red tide and I was terrified the beaches would be strewn with death fish, but they were very clean and lovely (in the area around the hotel).

The Hotel Water: Some people have complained the water was yellow, smelly, etc. Here's my take on it: I read the reviews before going, so we sort of knew what we were getting into. We brought bottled water to drink at the hotel. While the water wasn't too great at the hotel, it personally didn't bother me. It's a smaller hotel in a smaller area so I felt it was understandable that the water wasn't what I was used to (being from DFW).

I guess what I'm saying is it wasn't a deal breaker. There are so many other great things about this place!

We will definitely be back. :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank StephyWinskittle
Gilbert M, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. We really appreciate it and look forward to your next visit.
N.M.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

It was a spur of the moment trip. We did not have a beach front hotel ahead of time. We located a small hotel right on the beach. It was a diamond in the rough. reasonable price and great service. Would recommend anyone to try it.

Room Tip: Pay alittle extra and get the balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank travelingdogN_m_
Gilbert M, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again in the very near future. We have discounted rates starting after Sept 4th. The very mild winters in Texas keep us going well into the rest of the year.
Tomball
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I do love that this hotel is right on the beach, and it has great common porches to overlook the Gulf and listen to the waves and catch the breeze. But, the hotel is expensive for what you get....while the rooms are pretty, and the small private balconies a plus, the walls are paper thin. I heard the family next door.....each and every cry their small children made. The rooms are advertised as large family rooms but even my husband and I couldn't seem to get out of each other's way. A family of 4 would be on top of each other. Of course, the beach is the draw, and only a few steps away. Maybe it would be better if one building was reserved for couples. We got really tired of listening to families scream at each other from the boardwalk to the porches. The hotel restaurant is overpriced with mediocre food and hideous "mixed" drinks. Don't waste your time there.

Room Tip: the 300 building facing west at least doesn't overlook the parking lot and other buildings
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank nativeTexan30
Thank you for your recent stay and we appreciate your feedback. We do encourage more comments as we are in an expansion planning stage for more rooms. Your experience with the noise next door is exactly what we need to improve our sound insulation within the walls. Secondly, we do promote family rooms which would be two rooms with a connecting door. We have set of rooms that have either two queens in each room or two queens in one and a king in the other. We are also looking at providing more choices of drinks in the bar area as well. Thank you for helping us improve.
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I totally loved this place! We were able to overlook a few small probs and relax and have fun. I went first Aug 7-9th with my family and we stayed in room 305. We were close to the parking lot for an easy haul of our stuff, and there was an awesome outside shower stall under our room to rinse off after a dip in the ocean. The beds were a little too firm for my taste, and the water pressure was not great, but it was clean and decorated nicely. The next week my sister booked there and I just had to tag along. The reservation clerk gave me a 10% discount for coming back so quickly! This time we were booked in room 201, in the building right above the office. It was a little older and we found a couple bugs, but still clean. I didn't enjoy hauling my stuff up two flights of stairs. Both rooms we stayed in had a back deck for just us, plus COLD A/C and a mini-fridge.

Basically, I think this is a fantastic beach hotel option! We loved the restaurant, the staff, the atmosphere and the close proximity to the beach. The vanilla/cinammon pancakes are light, fluffy and delicious. The restaurant/hotel deck allows you to sit and watch the waves roll in. You're so close you can hear the waves. You can let your kids go down one flight of stairs and play in the sand below. Overall, just a really fun and relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Meg A
Gilbert M, General Manager at Ocean Village Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review. I am delighted you enjoyed yourself while you were here. One quick note is that we are in the process of increasing our water pressure into the hotel with a much larger water. This city project should be completed within the next 3 weeks.
Bonita Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I should preface this review with this: I have vacationed on the Emerald Coast Beaches my whole life. I am used to white sand, crystal clear blue-green water and pristine beaches. I've stayed on Alabama beaches and some in Mississippi as well but I am probably what you would consider a beach snob. My husband I joined a large group at Ocean Village a couple of weeks ago to celebrate the marriage of our dear friends. The location is the biggest plus here. Although, most of the rooms aren't beach front, the property has fantastic decking with multiple levels that offers great views of the beach. And you can be in your beach chair in a matter of moments no matter which hotel room you stay in. We stayed in one of the King Suites in the 300 building. It was nicely decorated, clean, cool and the bed was comfy. It was on the end of the building, so as others have noted, there was quite a bit of noise from the door opening and closing. The private deck was nice but I would have enjoyed having a chair to sit in, instead of just the wooden bench. There were several issues that made this an average stay instead of a very good one. The hotel advertises WiFi and when you check in they give you the code but NO ONE in our party was able to use the WiFi the entire time that we were there. One set of friends discovered that the TV wasn't working and when they talked to the office about it they said their was a TV in the bar. It was the very beginning of the Olympics and everyone was excited about watching parts of it and this was poor customer service on the part of the staff. If you advertise WiFi and cable TV, your customers ought to be able to count on utilizing those amenities. Here's another major customer service issue: our party booked out several months prior to our stay. We got group rates, which was great and appreciated. However, upon reserving the hotel staff said that they would confirm each reservations arrival. On the way down from Kansas City my husband and I both called (and left detailed messages with no call back) to inquire about adding Friday night to our stay. When I finally was able to speak to someone, she wasn't helpful and just said we're booked, sorry. I called back and spoke to someone else to make sure that our Saturday/Sunday reservations were confirmed (which they were) and he said the hotel was booked and offered alternate solutions. Because the hotel didn't confirm the arrivals of reservations they ended up having rooms after all and called us at 9:30 p.m. saying they had a room. Fat Chance. By then we had already found a place to stay with our friends. This kind of inattention to detail is what I mean when I say great concept lacking execution. There are good things about this hotel: the staff was friendly (especially the ladies in the restaurant) and the breakfast was good. The bar area was lively and entertaining and the fish tacos were good. It was nice that the hotel offered free ice to its' guests. We built fires on the beach two nights in a row and that was AMAZING. Being able to drive and park on the beach was interesting. Be prepared to pay a one time fee of $10 to do this. It's the only option offered but worth it if you are going to spend time on the beach. There is a liquor store within walking distance and another restaurant. There were crappy things too: the mosquitoes are VICIOUS and it didn't matter what kind or how much bug spray that we used, they ate us alive. The Dow Chemical Plant runs for miles along the inter-coastal areas, which is ugly and worrisome. It wasn't a terrible stay but it could have been so much better. I hope that Ocean Village continues to not only improve the property but also improve their execution.

Room Tip: In the 300 building, avoid rooms on either end or you will have a noisy stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank nikkirchristensen
We appreciate your thorough comments and feedback. It is so important to us to have this kind of information to pass on to the staff. Some of the items you mentioned were in the process of streamlining like the internet. We had a consultant on property who has greatly improved our internet service. We also have recieved additional chairs that have been distributed throughout the large decks of the hotel for guest gathering. The other controllable items have been discussed with staff as far as follow through for better execution. We know we will be better because of this and hope you return to our little village in the very near future.
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our trip was in August 2011. We stayed 2 nights and wished we couldve stayed longer.Three of my best friends and I came from Fort Worth and Brady for a weekend in this little spot I literally googled for a driveaway vacation and spent the next three months reading he blog and dreaming of this place. So you can just about imagine the bar and expectations I had already set before I ever set foot in Surfside Beach.

Upon check in the young blonde girl Im sorry I have forgotten her name was very nice and friendly and there was no problem with our check in. Our room (305) was beautiful. It was a double queen, there was no musty smell (but I had brought an Airwick plug in after reading the blog- and I wouldnt have cared if it had. Its the beach. Things get musty and sandy.) We brought bottled water also recommended prior to arrival. But showering etc was no problem and we are not high maintenance. The beds were comfortable, the cable worked perfectly, internet was no problem, and the room so so cold we had to turn it off (not a complaint from girls who like it like a cave) , and we had a balcony that no it does not directly overlook the ocean from your balcony but standing at the rail or sitting on the bench you have a complete view of the water and it is very nice. (I understand there has been new construction so I am not sure what the view is now from our room)

We ate at Red Snapper Inn which was a great meal and lovely wait staff (yes its a little expensive but as long as you opt out of a glass of wine youll be good- its seafood not value menu at a burger joint) We ate dinner last night of stay at Pirates Alley (was late and they were about to close but they made sure we were fed a good hot meal of yummy shrimp baskets complete with fries and hushpuppies and it was very good- sat on deck with full view of Gulf, music coming from bar below, the lights on the deck makes for a picturesque memory), both mornings breakfast at Pirates Alley Cafe and had pancakes hash browns eggs sausage and had no problem with ordering and was a good value for the amount of food you get- I was stuffed (might recommend some alternatives for weight conscious patrons for breakfast) Talked with and laughed with staff who were all very accomodating and friendly and cooks made very good and hot breakfast in which we ate on the deck looking out over the gulf and watched a sweet couple have a beach wedding on the sand. Everyone cheered as they kissed. Who doesnt LOVE LOVE? Our day at the beach was hot, fun, and filled with laughter as we played in the waves (3 of us larger women and had no concerns about being on the beach and being self conscious- everyone was so nice and friendly) we backed the truck up to the beach and lay in the sun just enjoying some island time and some quality girlfriends time. At night spent some time in the tiki bar just lauging and enjoying the sounds of the waves. And during our stay? I did not have any problems with mosquitos at all.

Galveston is a 40 minute drive straight along the coastline and is worth the drive to stay out of the busy touristy stuff. We had a blast driving both ways with the sunroof open and blasting music under a full moon.

If you are looking for a good family spot, a romantic getaway, a spot to mend a broken heart, or a fun getaway with your girls, I highly recommend this hotel. I highly recommend Surfside Beach. I fell in love with this little place, the hotel, and the people before I ever stepped foot there, and they exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. Thank you to the staff of both Ocean Village Hotel, Pirates Alley, and all the people of Surfside Beach we met for making a lifelong friend of your little piece of heaven on Earth. We are planning on coming back in October this time to see you and we are counting down the days.

Until we meet again!
S. Walker

Room Tip: Choose a room in 300 building. It is away from cafe and bar area (there were no noise issues while w...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Shelley W
Thank you so much and hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside Beach
Clarion Inn
Clarion Inn
#4 of 6 in Lake Jackson
3.5 of 5 stars 83 reviews

Been to Ocean Village Hotel? Share your experiences!