“Not worth the price”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sugar Land
Sugar Land, Texas
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I believe the price is truly based on location. While I love Sugar Land Town Center, this hotel is definitely not worth the nightly room rate. The rooms are mediocre and outdated to say the least (clean, but mediocre). I was also a bit shocked that we had to pay for wi-fi. For the location of this hotel, one would expect a lot more. The beds were a bit uncomfortable (but I prefer firm, so it could have just been because of my preference). Walking through the corridor on the floor where we were staying, we noticed the Exit sign had fallen to the floor. On a good note, I must say, the hotel employees are exptremely polite and very attentive. The valet service is amazing. When you walk into the hotel, it's absolutely beautiful. It just became somewhat of a let down once we made it to our rooms. Overall, we had a pleasant stay. I just feel the rooms could definitely use some upgrades.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nicole G, Front Office Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for trying the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square during your stay. I apologize that you did not see the value as you see in other hotels. Marriott hotels are quited different from other brands. Each brand is different and have different amenities and standards; such as the internet. As a Marriott, we follow brand standard requirements.

Thank you for trying the Marriott brand. I am happy to read that the hotel was clean and our team had great customer service. Again, I thank you for trying our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Was in town to celebrate my 50th birthday and this location was ideal. The hotel is located in a new and very clean shopping and business park. Many stores and restaurants as well as the access to Hwy 6 and 59 make the location unbeatable. Not much else was impressive.

When making the reservation, I requested an early check-in (after a long flight). I called the night before to ask again. On arrival, there was no such mention on my reservation. I'm aware that early check-ins are a challenge (particularly on weekends) so I took this in stride.
The front desk agent Randall was as unfriendly as I ever encountered at the front desk. Did not greet me when I walked up to the desk, and did not smile at any point during my stay! Three interactions with him with no greeting, and never a smile. At check out, he didn't ask me how my stay was or anything resembling any warmth. Maybe he was having a bad week.

The cleanliness of the hotel was my other issue. Saturday morning, the lobby of the hotel looked like a train wreck. Clearly they have no staff on the overnights that clean. Trash, glasses and food were all over the lobby tables and the floor. The outside lounge was even worse. Cigarette butts, cigars, and various food and trash were all over this area. It was disgusting.
The rooms need a facelift. The carpet was worn and smelled of mildew. The showerhead was old and rusted.
The internet service was spotty and the billing was confusing. We had to log on multiple times each day and each time it said we had to pay $9.95 for 24 hours. When our bill came the charge said $12.95 for two days (we stayed for 3 nights). When I checked out I simply said, "I have a question regarding the internet changes". Grumpy Randall just said, "I'll remove the charges". Nothing else. No explanation. He didn't even look up.
I'm aware this isn't a four star hotel. When you have a limited service type of hotel, it's expected that the service and the people will make up for this. Showheads and carpets can be replaced are are excusable but friendly service and cleanliness are imperative. This was the major failure here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicole G, Front Office Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve our service. My apologies for the early check-in request, it is based on availability and if when we were sold out the night before, it is harder to accommodate. I was also happy to hear we took the internet charge off for you.

I did address the your other concerns with the staff and thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor. Take care.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband was hospitalized nearby for major surgery and the hotel was my sanctuary. The desk staff reduced the daily rate significantly per corporate policy- a lovely courtesy. The staff were highly professional, considerate and upbeat. Room service very rapid and the food excellent and reasonably priced. Rooms comfortable, clean and cheerful..great location with many fine dining places within walking distance. I'd like to return for fun with my spouse!

P.S. may I have your recipe for asiago chicken? I swooned when I tasted it and have been trying to figure out how to make it!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Michael N, General Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay with us at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square. I am so happy that you were impressed with our customer service. I will be sure that the team, especially the front office team is recognized for going above and beyond. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and I hope to see you back soon!

P.S. I sent you a message for your email address so I can have our Executive Chef forward you the recipe for our Asiago Chicken that you like so much!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was here for a conference and I'm so glad it was held at this hotel! The lobby is gorgeous. My guest room was great. The staff was very attentive. The food was great, as were the meeting rooms. Best of all, the location is excellent - shopping and dining in all directions! I hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Aaron A, Guest Relations Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience not only about your stay but your event experience at our hotel. I am delighted that you were impressed with the Sugar Land Marriott and that our team really went above and beyond to ensure you had a great experience with Marriott.

I will be sure to recognize our whole team for their great service and spotless accommodations. They will be thrilled with your comments as well.

Thank you again for choosing the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square. We hope to see when you return to the Sugar Land area.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 11, 2013

From a "Quality" stand point the rooms were clean, comfortable and what you would expect for a hotel of this caliber. The staff is charming, professional and eager to assist starting at the front door with the Valet parking staff. The Hotel itself is lovely, spacious and big...really big. As a International traveler I have seen it all from "5 Star to no Star" Hotels and The Sugar land Marriott Town Square, for a domestic Hotel, is worth your dollars. Location is so much fun. Everything at your feet. Walk out the front door of this hotel and you feel like your in Europe. Condos with folks living on the top floors of the buildings and shopping, shopping shopping, food and drink are below. Lovely. This was my second stay with kids and Grand-kids in tow. The "no rating" for kids activities is only because we did not utilize that service. Will stay again and no where else when coming to Sugar Land.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to send in your review on your recent stay with us at the Sugar Land Marriott Town Square. As a Marriott, we always want to be sure that we go above and beyond in every aspect of the guests stay.

Thank you again for sharing and hope to see you soon during your next visit to the Sugar Land area!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I have written an review for the Sugar Land Marriott in the past, but I wanted to update that. Since writing a review back in November I have stayed at this hotel on 3 more occasions and they have not disappointed. The staff continue to be first class and add to that a wonderful renovation of the public space and you really cannot go wrong. Kudos to the management team on keeping a great staff in place. I am recognizing staff as I stay at the hotel on a regular basis.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michael N, General Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
I was delighted to read your review and wanted to sincerely thank you choosing to stay with us each time you visit the sugar Land area. I am glad you loved our recent refresh of our property. I know each of our team members want this to feel like your home away from home and we will do our best to go above and beyond to ensure you have a productive and wonderful experience. I will be sure to share your review with our entire team.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We know we will see you soon and look forward to thanking you in person! Again, thank you for making us your home away from home.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here a couple of times in January and February on business. The hotel was finishing a renovation and the lobby, bar and restaurant look great. What really stood out to me was how outgoing and friendly the staff were. They truly made me feel welcome and "at home". I look forward to future trips and staying at the Sugar Land Marriott.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Aaron A, Guest Relations Manager at Sugar Land Marriott Town Square, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our Marriott. Our entire team strives to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel and I am delighted that we were just that. I am happy that is was a great experience!

Traveling as often as you do is difficult and we want to be sure we do whatever we can to not only meet but exceed your expectations. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I hope to see you during your next stay in the Sugar Land area.