“Nice Place, not for the kids”
Review of BLU Restaurant & Lounge - CLOSED

BLU Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: American, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Town Center Blvd.
Description: BLU welcomes friends and guests to its Sugar Land home at the Town Square. BLU is a complete unique boutique dining experience. We serve a balanced mix of exquisite Modern Asian cuisine including a myriad of Thai variations. We have created a menu that gives our dishes a distinctive note. We have a vast selection of portions to meet the needs of all our guests. Selections range from our tapas, dumplings, small plates to appetizer, soups, salads, main plates, rice/noodles, a customized selection of street food from all over the world and a gourmet weekend brunch. Eating at BLU is like taking a journey to another country because the flavors are so authentic. The vibrant mix of sophisticated & sumptuous cuisine and relaxing lounge spaces is where dining transcends into fête extraordinaire. Our Executive Chef Junnajet Hurapan "Jett", as he is called by many of his friends, impressed several of New York City’s top food critics before relocating to the Bayou City.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife wanted to celebrate the end of a long week and we have been wanting to try BLU for a while. With 7 and 3 year olds in tow, we ventured into BLU. It would have been a nice evening to sit outside, but they have only a few tables for sitting and they were all taken. I figured the kids wouldn't do well eating on the couches nor the bar stool tables. So we sat inside. I was ticked to learn, however, that happy hour does not exist if you are sitting at tables inside. I asked our server to check with the manager, who said no. I almost got up and left. But my wife calmed me down with a kick in the shin. So we ordered drinks, my wife a gin ricky (mundane, I could've mixed it myself) and a Karbach Rodeo Clown IPA for me. The kids did well with orange juice on the rocks in pint glasses. The food was fine, the kids had the sliders, which were flavorful and not dried out. Wife went with the crab cake sliders and I had the Bang Bang steak salad, which was heavily dressed and did not have lettuce. It was ok. I also had thee sweet potato samosas. Overall, the experience was fine. For all that and another pint of beer, the tab came to 66$ No happy hour pricing left me a tad bitter. Should've gone next dooe to Guru

1  Thank Matt M

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We tried BLU as part of Houston Restaurant Weeks. The food was very flavorful, and it was a nice change of pace. Service was excellent, and the bar was nice. The projection tvs behind the bar are huge. We loved the open air concept. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Blu is in a great location - Sugar Land Town Square - and right in the middle of the action. It's got a great layout - a covered patio for people watching (including an outside bar & portable a/c unit!), window seating (bar height), and a large bar in the back with tables in between, along with a few loungey areas with couches. All this space, yet the hostess seated us all in a giant cluster by the door - we guessed so it made it look busy - but our table was so close to the people behind us, the lady and I kept bumping elbows.
Waitress was VERY attentive, friendly and knowledgeable of both the specialty drinks as well as the food menu. I tried the Orient L'Orange, and it was just as she said - not super fruity, but refreshing and cool.
Food... was only so-so, and felt value for the price just wasn't there. The fried calamari was crispy and it accompanying sauce was sweet & spicey. But the edamame croquettes were blah... very bland and mushy, and the sauce was bland as well. I had the wok-seared Filet Mignon, which was flavorful but overcooked from the medium I had requested. It sat on a bed of what appeared to be very long-stemmed spinach which was very difficult to eat (stems were chewy, but hard to cut off!) but the red onions were good. Hubby had tuna tataki.. he normally loves seared tuna, but he was not impressed at all. For dessert, we had the bread pudding, which again was good, but not great.
So we might come back here for drinks, but probably not for the food. Disappointing!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Interesting menu with a three course lunch for only $12. Interesting choices to consider. The tom-yum soup was good and very spicy. I enjoyed the crispy spring rolls and tamarind cashew chicken. The highlight of the meal was the chocolate-cappuccino martini dessert. OMG it was so good! All of the desserts are made on the premises and this one melted in our mouth.
I would definitely go here again and try some other offerings.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Blue an extensive bar (I have not had any of the drinks) and a menu with an interesting smattering of Asian, European, and Tex-Mex inspired foods. When I went for dinner I had a smattering of appetizers (all good, especially the meatball lollipops) and my husband had the chicken wok with red curry and to be honest I was jealous of him. It's a bit pricey, but not overpriced as the food is wonderfully prepared with the best ingredients.

highly recommend you stop by at lunch for the fixed price (as of writing $12) lunch special. You get a soup or salad, a small portion of the appetizer, and a lunch portion from a selection of dinner menu items. The food is delicious and I think lunch is a really great value. Definitely get the Tom Yum soup unless you can't handle spicy food.