“A decent hotel stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“A decent hotel stay”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I arrived late at night for a one night stay. The check-in staff was very polite and helpful. They asked us if we had ever stayed at this location and then followed up with giving us the basic hotel information. When I arrived at my room there was a strange odor in the room. I was so tired I just took a quick shower and went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning the odor was still there. I think the room just needed a good deep cleaning. After packing up I went down to the breakfast area and had my free hot breakfast. It was very good for being free. They had hot sandwiches, waffles, and all types of your typical continental breakfast food and juices. Check-out was painless and I would probably stay at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: If you go to you your room and it has a bad odor just ask to have your room changed and I am sure th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Linda C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Houston/Sugar Land, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you very much for alerting us to the odor problem in your room. We strive to provide everyone with the perfect stay, without incident. Thanks to you we have taken steps to check out the room in question and correct the situation so future guests can enjoy their stay. And you are absolutely correct, if this situation were to ever arise again, simply alert the Front Desk of the problem and request that a different room be assigned. We are delighted to hear that otherwise you enjoyed your stay. It seems your free breakfast hit the spot and you found the staff to be warm and welcoming. We are looking forward to your return. Please do come back to see us when you travel to Sugar Land again. With Kind Regards, Linda Cahue, Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Place Houston/Sugar Land for 4 nights in March 2012 as we were in town for a wedding. I've stayed at many Hyatt properties, and this was one of the best. The lobby & rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated, and the staff members were extremely courteous and helpful. The location is perfectly situated on a quiet cul-de-sac overlooking a waterway (so you don't hear traffic or other city noise), but a short walk on the bridge over the canal gives you access to several restaurants and a Whole Foods Market. If you don't want to stay in downtown Houston, this is a great property in the suburbs with easy access to the highway and many great shops and restaurants. Some other reviewers gave it a low score because of lack of amenities, but it is a Hyatt Place and not a full-service Hyatt Regency, so this is to be expected. It had great Wi-Fi, an excellent complementary breakfast, and plenty of self-service & made-to-order food and beverage options that could be bought 24-hours a day and brought back up to your room (which does have a refrigerator). Any time we plan to stay in the Houston area, this will be our hotel of choice - it was fantastic!

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors give you a beautiful view of the waterway and/or surrounding city and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Linda C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Houston/Sugar Land, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words. We love hearing that our guests enjoy the waterway and the quiet surroundings, so close to the major Highways that take you quickly to downtown and yet tucked away in its own cul-de sac providing a very unique experience. Although we serve meals on a 24 hour basis (so late arriving guests can always get a hot, freshly prepared meal), you are quite right that walking across the bridge you can enjoy a good variety of dining options. You seem to have made the best of your stay. Hopefully the next time your travels bring you to our area we have the pleasure of welcoming you back! By the way, if you are coming before 9/30/12 ask the Front Desk if they have any Churrascos Certificates to give you. You get $20 off when you purchase two entrees. If traveling after those dates, I am sure we can provide you with a complimentary Tres Leches voucher to make your stay a little sweeter.
Warm Regards, Linda
Katy, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

This Hotel dont even have the normal free bottle of water you can find even in the worst hotels you ever been before. If you want water you better dress up and go to the lobby to buy one! . Regarding the reservations they are the worst. Watch out because having a reservation doesnt mean anything for this people if someone else show up they can oversell the rooms at no time...

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jaricaor
HPSugarLand, General Manager at Hyatt Place Houston/Sugar Land, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Place Houston/Sugar Land. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. In my experiences travelling, the hotels that are offering bottled water in the room charge anywhere from $4.75-$8.00 for each bottle of water that is consumed. As you had mentioned, we do have bottled water available for purchase at a fraction of that cost in our lobby. In addition, our complimentary shuttle can take you to a convenient store where you can purchase very affordable bottled water which can be kept cold by utilizing our in room refrigerators.
If you would be so kind, could you please contact me to discuss the reservation issues that you encountered? I can be reached at 281-491-0300, EXT 5101.
We strive for exceptional customer service in all aspects of our hotel and as you can see in other reviews, we consistently provide that service to our guests.
I hope we have the opportunity to talk so that we can address any inconvenience you may have encountered.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Michael Gleeson
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Wow. Great stay for business. This hotel was amazing in terms of service, location to great restaurants and a grocery store, and flexible set up. I really liked the swivel tv in the room. I worked on the couch and then could move the tv for sleeping. The shower was clean and huge. The grab and go bar was perfect for business. If you want to grab a drink, vitamin water, snack or food, it was quick and easy.

The restaurants across the way were awesome. Whole Foods is also a short walk away.

I will return and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank Florida.Girl.2006
Holmfirth
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel a few times over the past 2 year for business, but would stay there for leisure with my family aswell. The staff are extremely friendly, and always remember me and my colleagues. If we have had a hard day at work, they are always waiting with chilled bottles of coronas for us!
The rooms are very spacious, and the hotel is potless. There is an outdoor pool, which I have yest had the pleaseure of using.
There is always a wide variety to choose form at breakfast also.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed one night, for pleasure with several members of our family, also staying at this hotel. I booked it because of the reviews and they are not wrong. New and clean. Don't try to get here by MapQuest, use another ap, as it's new and MapQuest will send you somewhere else. I am speaking from experience! The room, which was actually a suite, was clean and ready for our arrival. Nice little pool with large towels. Every member of the staff spoke to us and asked if they could help. I felt safe, even when coming and going at night. Nice little bar, but need to send them my margarita recipe!! Breakfast is outstanding with a huge selection. Attendant is there keeping everything stocked, neat and clean. We will be returning to the area and I will stay here and will recommend this to others that will be travelling with us.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake side to watch the paddle boats and kayaks. Quite peaceful.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Clean, spacious rooms, top notch service, make Hyatt a find in the area. I like Marriot in SL and Hyatt. Conveniently close to several 5 rated restaurants like Post Oak Grill (postoakgrill.com), Churrascos ( Argentinian churrascos.com), Tradicao Brazilian Steakhouse ( all you can eat heaven tradicaosteakhouse.com), Cheesecake Factory( cheesecakefactory.com), Sushi restaurants, etc. I used to hate staying in the Sugar Land area but now I look forward to the trip. Not long ago the restaurant list was minimal but now it's becoming an International city with options for all the discriminating tastes. I simply ask Valet shuttle to take me out, they will go anywhere within 10 miles. I usually have a car but I don't like to drive after having some drinks and nothing better than having a chauffeur driven shuttle coming by to pick us up. Can't go wrong staying at the Hyatt!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business